Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree151Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-03-2016, 07:20 AM
STI Master

JRecardo at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLEY View Post
This only has 220hp? Whose heartbreaking roller dyno was that put on? haha
Haha it's just a guess that it would be around there. Somewhere between 220 to 250 at the wheels from the factory I would imagine. No tune yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick73 View Post
Good work Jack. Are you going to be doing the Mc sprint series this year with it?
Thanks Nic. Would like to do a couple of rounds at least this year for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX. View Post
Remember too Jack: this is the equivalent of a GC8. Much lighter than your later model WRX, by a couple hundred kgs probably. That means it will at the very least be more responsive to steering and getting it around a corner. Braking should be better. Acceleration... well you've got 100hp less but it's also pushing 200kg less.
Give it a few more laps out there and you'll close the gap even without any mods.

What are future performance plans?
You're right Alex, the steering response was one of the first things I noticed when going out on the track. I think the evo is a bit heavier than most gc8s with a factory quoted weight of 1350kg but obviously still much lighter than the betty I was getting around in before. More seat time is always the key, and the funnest 'mod' of them all

Short term plans are to get it on e85, possibly with an evo 9 turbo for some more top end power. Also want to replace the cheap bc coilovers with something a bit better, will be speaking to MCA and doing some reading as to what I should go with. And of course some new rotors and pads for the brakes + the usual swaybars and other suspension mods.
Old 22-03-2016, 05:56 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

MCA reds!
JRecardo likes this.
Old 27-07-2016, 10:37 AM
STI Master

Small update on the car, progress has been much slower than I would have liked but it's slowly getting there.

New coilovers sourced and installed. Racing logic coilovers with 10kg front and 11kg rear springs & mca helper springs all round. Not what I was planning at all, but they are set up well and performed well in an TME evo competing in the state sprint series. He offered them for a price I couldn't resist.

The battery that came with the car was pretty rubbish, failing to start the car most of the time. Replaced it with an SSB Powersport lithium battery. It weighs 1kg has 400cca and starts the car every time. I do have to disconnect the negative terminal when parking it up for a week or longer as ancillaries do drain it pretty easily.

The engine bay has got a bit of a tidy up to make it somewhat respectable. Rocker cover removed and painted black, Dryden motorsport heatshields installed. New meek intake pipe + 4.5" k&n filter enclosed in beatrush box installed.

This is the before.

And after.

Next up will be tidying up the interior of some loose items and mounting everything properly. Then off to Tokyo for an exhaust and tune. Will likely stay with 98 for the very first tune and just get out there with the car for a bit, then return for an e85 tune and evo 9 turbo. Will need a surge tank and some other fuel supply supports to safely run e85 for a track orientated car. The baffles in the fuel tank on earlier evos are pretty poor I'm told.
Dan [GTI] and SolarFilms like this.
Old 27-07-2016, 10:39 AM
STI Master

Oh, and last and least are the dryden motorsport tow hooks. A little wanky perhaps, but they will no doubt come in handy sooner or later

Dan [GTI] likes this.
Old 27-07-2016, 10:45 AM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Will disconnecting your battery will mean your ecu will be resetting itself regularly?? Can you run a trickle charger with that battery? That's what I do with mine as I only drive it a couple of days a week.
Old 27-07-2016, 10:49 AM
STI Master

That's not something I had really considered, and hasn't been an issue to date. Just acting on advice that was given to me when dealing with lithium batteries.

I'll raise it up with the Tokyo guys when I see them and see what they think. If trickle charging is the way to go, I'll do that.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:56 AM
STI Master

Update on the WRX this time. It's sat around for a few too many months while I've decided what I want to do with it. Most of the aftermarket parts were sold off to facilitate the purchase of the evo, and the td04 was bolted back on but that was all a bit too depressing. I decided to outlay a little into it and bring it back as an enjoyable street car. A solid weekend on the tools and I've got it back and running.

TD05 18g (kinugawa)
Process West Verticooler
Perrin inlet
id 1000cc injectors
dw65c pump
Ultrex TBE

Far from the spec it was previously, but it should make for a nice daily driver. I will be staying on E85 as that has served me well. Tokyo will be retuning for me.

*I will be rerouting the boost control lines soon, that was just to test and take it for a drive.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:07 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

When modding one car just isn't enough...
JRecardo likes this.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:50 PM
STI Master

Haha. When one car starts to give you the shits so you go back to the other. At least it removes the desire to want to jump in the evo for milk runs
Old 11-03-2019, 11:41 AM
STI Master

Has been a while since I've logged back in here, not sure if it it still used or not but will put a little update anyway.

Have been through the ringer with a couple of cars, more than I care to go into but definitely have had enough of buying into 90s boxes. Was at a bit of a crossroads before I decided to sell all my racecar shit and invest the earnings back into my trusty betty.

Here is where it has ended up.

Engine:
Blouch 2.5xtr 8cm (impulse 2nd hand buy - may be shopping for a 1.5 again after the tune)
Process West Verticooler
ID1000cc injectors
DW65c pump
Perrin inlet
Cobb SF intake (50/50 on actually fitting this, another impulse buy)
Ultrex EL headers
Invidia Downpipe to Invidia G5 titanium catback

Suspension/Body:
MCA Red coilovers
Brembo calipers (front only)
DBA 5000 rotors
W5 pads
Braided lines
SSR GTX01 17x9 +38 wheels
255/40 AD08 (2nd hand for fitment testing - will be buying into AR1 or NS2R)
Velo fixed back seat
AGI half cage (still to be fitted)
Seibon Carbon Hatch (Another impulse buy yet to be fitted - noticing a trend..)

Engine and driveline is getting a bit up there now at 178k kms, but I do have a spare low KM motor sitting in my garage if things don't go to plan on the dyno. Gave it its first turn over with the new parts yesterday and everything seems good so far. EL headers and exhaust is a little offensive, but fortunately it isn't a daily driver anymore.

I'll leave you with a couple of low resolution potato pics.

AWDmoke and Dan [GTI] like this.

Tags
08, jack, wrx