Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree244Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2015, 09:51 PM
STI Master

amtrapid knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
Why did you want the gauges in the glovebox again? They would be absolutely useless in there. And dont think that opening the glove box is gonna make you actually watch them while belting around a track. Most people dont even watch gauges in regular locations.

The owner. Doesn't like visible gauges everywhere . It's a very tidy V5 STI he likes the clean look .The gauges that have been chosen hold peak memory and have adjustable audible alarms for limits . When the alarm sounds the gauge displays the peak .

The owner isn't a full on track day driver . The gauges are there as a pre warning of something going wrong . The ECU also has limits enabled . Even with the glovebox closed the alarms on the gauges are loud .

Something is better than nothing . My car different story all my gauges are right in my face but I'm the other way round more track hardly no street.

Sent from under my Dok Dok
Old 10-07-2015, 05:38 PM
STI Master

So got the thermocouples ready to in now just need to port match the headers

Also finished up the under bonnet wiring for the Ethanol Content, oil press, fuel press and air temp sensors

nick73 and joshrx like this.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:01 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

joshrx at standard level

How did you insert the thermocouples? Was it a drilled hole and weld up, or threaded?

Very keen to see any data that comes from this
Old 10-07-2015, 06:29 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrapid View Post
The owner. Doesn't like visible gauges everywhere . It's a very tidy V5 STI he likes the clean look .The gauges that have been chosen hold peak memory and have adjustable audible alarms for limits . When the alarm sounds the gauge displays the peak .

The owner isn't a full on track day driver . The gauges are there as a pre warning of something going wrong . The ECU also has limits enabled . Even with the glovebox closed the alarms on the gauges are loud .

Something is better than nothing . My car different story all my gauges are right in my face but I'm the other way round more track hardly no street.

Yeah. Fair enough. The aubible warnings will be the most benificial I think. And peak recal is nice too.

Thats one thing I love with my gauge setup. I have 3 sets of PLX DM100s and all 6 SMs, which can have complex programmable multi-parameter warnings. This means you can be actively alerted of situations like lean out while on boost, and low oil pressure at RPMs and over temperature etc for example.

Then I also have all 4 Genome Defis, which have the warning light (a bit hard to notice while going hard) and the peak recal which is nice feature. Especially for the boost gauge.

Plus ontop of that I also have a very loud audible alarm that monitors coolant level, and has 4 X AUX inputs that I plan to eventually hook to over temp switch, low oil level switch etc etc.

Oh yeah and a progressive shift light, and a knock light. (Not connected because e85)

My car looks like a christmas tree inside with 7 x gauges plus the other stuff. I find that I dont look at the gauges when racing (only the shift lights), so having them actively warn me of bad stuff is very handy.

Last gadget I want is a race dash with GPS lap timer and data logger. Something like Race Technology Dash 2 for example.
amtrapid likes this.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:33 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrx View Post
How did you insert the thermocouples? Was it a drilled hole and weld up, or threaded?
Looks like lubricant, so my guess would be drilled and tapped.

Is there a requirement for the temperature sensors to be a certain distance from the exhaust outlet on the block?
joshrx likes this.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:40 PM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrx View Post

Very keen to see any data that comes from this

Drilled and tapped the thermocouple goes into the holes well 4 separate ones . Defiantly not welded especially a cast manifold .

joshrx likes this.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:45 PM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soksta View Post
Looks like lubricant, so my guess would be drilled and tapped.

Is there a requirement for the temperature sensors to be a certain distance from the exhaust outlet on the block?

Yes there is a location requirement within 100 mm central to the port and only protruding 6mm for forced induction . NA motors the location is slightly different and it can change depending on the thermocouple type used.

Yes that is lubricant for drilling good old Trefolex.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:50 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

What's involved in the match porting process in terms of how do you figure out where to remove material from where the tube openings meet?
Old 10-07-2015, 08:27 PM
STI Master

Default Amtrapids RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick73 View Post
What's involved in the match porting process in terms of how do you figure out where to remove material from where the tube openings meet?

With factory headers especially Subaru its quite easy as there is always a carbon mark on the headers from the exhaust ports .

The exhaust manifold is the smaller opening so You generally die grind to the line of the carbon . Match porting is the same process but using the gasket opening as the template for both sides of the holes . Its best to use this for the up pipe to manifold and the crossover pipe joins.

Same process for your intake manifold . Porting the head is alot more involved but match porting is quite easy especially for the exhaust side of things .

I'm happy to help if you ever want to do it.

Last edited by amtrapid; 10-07-2015 at 08:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to amtrapid For This Useful Post:
nick73 (10-07-2015)
Old 13-07-2015, 05:23 PM
STI Master

Ethanol content sensor and FPR mounted plumbed and wired Motor ready to be dropped back in tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1079.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	15069

Tags
amtrapids, rs