Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2019, 12:28 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Tony knows their stuff

- Sti front ali control arms installed with existing whiteline ALK and free castor mod.

-GD rear control arms install with whiteline camber bolts installed

-whiteline roll centre kit installed.

- Initial wheel alignment specs
Front camber: D -0.8° P -0.75°
Rear camber: D -1.4° P -1.75°
Toe: D 0.00mm P 2.00mm toe out

After install with, stock camber bolts front, aftermarket rear.
Front camber: D -3.2° P -3.15°
Rear camber: D -2.0° P -2.05°
Toe: D 0.00m P 0.00mm

Ok reason for doing to control arm swap was to fit the oem rims with 225" A050's. When i originally fitted the wheels to the rear the tyre was rubbing the stock strut, my only option was to push the wheel out towards the guard and spacers where not an option. Also on the front the max neg camber i could get with stock camber bolts and strut tops was -1.5° which is less than ideal for those tyres on the track. I had all of the GD stuff lying around including ali control arms so decided so decided to install it all which would give me more camber at the front and more clearance out the back. I split the front ball joint boot in the process which lead to a roll centre kit. The above is just a DIY home alignment and i will be booking in somewhere to have it checked/adjusted where need be, i have not check castor yet either.

I also got a set of 12x1.25mm high tensile bolts and made a 12idx18odx10Hmm spacer which i used to lock down the rear subframe, cost 8 buks all up and does the same thing as the 50buk whiteline sub frame lock down kit, winning.

Booked in for the motul test and tune day at barbs late march so will order a set of Forza FP3 front pads closer to the date for that.

Gear has started to roll in to de-mao the tune adn engine. 3 port mac valve, STI tmic/oem bov (with grub screw mod) have shown up. I have also received a turbo exhaust mounting plate and afew various 3" exhaust pipes to fabricate my own bellmouth as the existing dumpipe looks average at best to me. Its a flat plate similar to the stock subaru dump pipe and the 3" dump pipe is compressed down to like a 2.7" pipe where it is welded on to the flange. Hoping to chop the existing flange off and weld my DIY bell mouth on to the existing dump pipe. Im hoping for some improvements in spool time but cant say without trying.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:07 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Tony knows their stuff

New bell mouth or whatever you want to call it. No its not optimized, and im no expert but it has to he better than what is on the car atm. I feel the need to say that it still requires a good clean up before i weld it all together before the experts chime in. Also i realised id fucked up and the flange i have pictured is only 9mm, i have ordered a 12mm flange as it will be less likely to warp while welding up. Ill be using the existing 3" dump by cutting the exisiting bell mouth off and butt welding or possibly v banding the new bell mouth onto it.

Also picked up a 2015 sti tmic. Wish me luck, dont really think anything else needs to be said.

And here is current pics of car with the wider GD track. I can tell its wider because it looks wider....
Dan [GTI] and Rslib72 like this.

Last edited by Tony; 05-02-2019 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:49 PM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

Is that TMIC bigger than GDB STI cooler?
Old 06-02-2019, 10:56 PM
Flat Four Father

seagull knows their stuff

If you struggle with that bell mouth. Pat may have a cast one. He sold you the top mount
Old 24-03-2019, 08:45 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Tony knows their stuff

Ended up finishing the 2015 sti TMIC install, pretty stoked with fitment. Replaced the complete clutch setup with a HD one i had laying around to get clearances that i needed. Didnt have to smash any of the firewall etc with a hammer so pretty chuffed.

post images

Stereo was full kebab show car spec with wires, subs, amps and shit everywhere but somehow manahed to sound absolutely crap. So completely ripped put all the wiring and have left the car without a stereo and will be removing the head unit once ive printed a blank plate to fill the space. Here is some of what i pulled out

Next on the list was to sort out the cockpit. One thing i always wanted to do but couldnt commit to on the sti was a decent seat as i was constaly fighting against the steering wheel to keep myself planted in the stock seats. Took a trip to gogear and ended up grabbing a budget OMP fixed back. 8ve never had a fixed back seat so I didnt want to lash out first time around and a few drives later be wishing id got somthing else as that had some better fwatures etc, this means i can get my head around what i lile and dont like about a fixed back and can confidently buy somthing better when the time comes and just religate the cheapy ro passenger seat. I also grabbed an SAAS deep dish suede wheel as the stock wheel was just to far away once id set the seat in a comfortable postion for my legs. Pretty stoked with how much just these 2 mods have transformed my driving experience. You really get to feel everything the car is doing compared to the stock seats.

pair of dice or die

Next was a set of front pads. Nothing soecial, just a set of PMU HC's

2010 subaru sti 0 60

Also deleted the antenna and printed up a custom blanking plate for shits and giggles

Pretty excited to get out on the track again this friday at Barbs
matto20v, XT43, Startodo and 2 others like this.
Old 14-04-2019, 02:40 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Tony knows their stuff

first time out on the track in the old girl. Solid session with no problems on my end. Ran afew 70sec laps, reckon with a few clean laps i could get it running sub 70sec as is.

Didn't realise on the night but happened to notice on the gopro footage that the PFC was measuring 1.4-1.5ish bar boost at certain parts of the track with no knock. as far as i was aware the car was tuned to 1bar as i had never seen more than that on the street when giving it a poke. Still undecided on what to do about this as the boost is controlled via the apexi AVCR which is head fuck in its own right. I have picked a link G4+ for the V7-V9 wrx which i was planning on storing away till i drop the 03 wrx motor, loom and cluster but upon seeing this i think i may try and splice it into the 1999 loom and get it all tuned up. On the other hand i don't waste any money on the current setup and just keep sending it till its dies. I think i may go with option B as i could end up spending 1k plus getting the ecu installed, tuned and running just for the motor to shit the bed one or two sessions later (motor currently has 215xxx + km's on it). Still thinking.

Currently the car is up on jack stands as i have removed the rear diff and gearbox ready to swap in the 4.44 gear i have. As always shit escalates and i have ordered diff bushings, diff mount bushings, shifter bushing, a new shifter linkage and group N gearbox mounts to freshen it all up while i have it apart. Rear diff is nothing special, just your standard open centre.

Will also remove the turbo to repair the uppipe shield which is rattling around and replace the gaskets to try and fix an exhaust leak.

Fun times.

Skip to 2:50 to see a falcon hit the wall :'(

Dan [GTI] likes this.

Last edited by Tony; 14-04-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 14-04-2019, 06:13 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Fuckin hell holy shit!
matto20v likes this.
Old 14-04-2019, 06:59 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Nicely done Tony. Was the dude in the goon ok? Looked like a solid hit.
Old 14-04-2019, 07:19 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Tony knows their stuff

Yeh it was a pretty solid hit. Looked fine, poor bastard was sitting in the back of the ambo having piles of paper worl shoved in his face.
Old 15-04-2019, 06:54 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Hmmm...never good to see a car and or driver damaged.
Tony.....Naughty boy:
1. Sleeves should be down to your wrists mate
2. Shouldn't pass cars through the esses or on corners
matto20v likes this.

Tags
car, red