Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Cosmetic
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-09-2007, 07:14 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

97RA at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intra
Time to pull out a wind tunnel i say... who's got one?
Thanks, wish this had a spell/grammar checker sometimes

Wish I had a wind tunnel other than the one I'm sitting on. I reckon if a good setup existed in WA you'd dispel quite a few ground effects myths, much like MythBusters did with their ute tailgate tests. Air flow is a bugger of a thing, much like fluid flow characteristics, but more hidden without some fancy gadgets.

Wonder if Curtin has anything for this in a real world dimension?
Old 18-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97RA
Don't be too sure about this, the vaguaries of air flow and cooling will creep up behind you and roger you hard.

Many race vehicles use the pooling of cold air in front of the wind shield.

Notice that the leading of this is kind of wing shaped which will accelerate the air flow and create a low pressure zone in the recess behind it.

The collection area is physically much greater.

Therefore the resulting cooling air flow could be much greater than the simple forward facing scoop at anything other than maximum speed/max accel.

Don't assume this is inefficient until you have seen wind tunnel evidence.

And BTW think of the reasons for the shape of the WRX/Sti scoops and the intended motorsport purpose for the car, then say 'horses for couses; ten times.

May not be right, but 'til you get the egg in the bottle it's my 5c worth
Too true.

I'm happy to be corrected, but that reverse scoop will do stuff all, other than aid you in getting a yellow sticker.

The theory of the reverse scoop is that with a FMIC it is allowing the air to flow out of the top of the bonnet, ala a sort of reverse setup to a scoop and TMIC. In all reality, air will want to flow underneath the car rather than through the engine bay and out through a small vent in the bonnet. Putting a GX bonnet on will most likely have greater benefits.

As for the design of that one... Well I'm willing to bet it is just 'what looks good' and has had no engineering done to it.

Don't get me wrong, you can design up something correctly to maximise air flow, but the costs associated with that compared to the gains are so minimal. For proof that speed holes in your bonnet can make a difference, look at a WRC car. They optimise everything they can. But then you need to look at the whole picture again

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97RA
Wonder if Curtin has anything for this in a real world dimension?
Nope
Old 18-09-2007, 09:21 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

97RA at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato
I'm happy to be corrected, but that reverse scoop will do stuff all, other than aid you in getting a yellow sticker.
Yep, the authorities are NOT over keen on anything that has the potential to splash hot water, oil or other nasties in your field of view at high speeds, can't imagine why.

This is the prime reason for the eternal GC whinge 'the bastards stickered me for removing the vent backings'.

If you ever had the experience of something giving way with open venting on a bonnet you would understand, oh and BTW it never happens while you're just putting down to the shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato
For proof that speed holes in your bonnet can make a difference, look at a WRC car. They optimise everything they can. But then you need to look at the whole picture again (
Yeah, the main area of attention for the WRC cars is trapping and diverting hot air from the radiator before it has a chance to flow over the motor.

The environment around the engine is pretty much sealed (take a look at how little air can enter a WRC or ARC car from underneath).

The motor is not a prime culprit in under bonnet temps with subis. The BBQ area around the up-pipe, turbine housing and first half metre of dump pipe are the real culprits. Wraps and coatings can have a good effect on these.

All this aside, in a track situation I still think a design like this (not necessarily this one) might be more effective for a TMIC than anyone realises.
Old 18-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Subaru Tech Division

POLARBEAR666 at standard level

I had the seibon one fitted and my collant temps dropped 10 degrees on an almost permanent basis vs the forward facing scoop.
Old 18-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Sir AntiLag

nasty sti at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLARBEAR666
I had the seibon one fitted and my collant temps dropped 10 degrees on an almost permanent basis vs the forward facing scoop.

Got a pic Polar??
Old 18-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

I'm not sure if making a low pressure area behind the scoop will be enough to cool air going through the IC.

Correct me if I am wrong, but for a TMIC/FMIC to work effectively, you need good volumes of air going *through* and *out* the fins of the IC - Hence the upgrade to a FMIC from a TMIC.

Would be interesting to see some charge temps using both methods on the same car. Can be easily done - There was a dude on RexNet who did it - Put a sensor through the silicone inlet before the throttle body and some readouts in the cabin.
Old 18-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Subaru Tech Division

POLARBEAR666 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasty sti
Got a pic Polar??
I wouldn't bother. Just get your existing scoop mounted facing rearwords with a tiny bit of fibreglass work on it. Any bodykit place could do it.

The best area to have the hole in the bonnet to suck hot air out is near the front like on the rally cars. If you try to suck air out of the top mount u will find that that area of the bonnet is not as low pressure as the front.

The reason my coolant temps dropped so much is that instead of a scoop positively pressurising the engine bay and negating the air coming through teh front of the car. I went to a rear facing scoop which allowed air to flow out and created a low pressure area behind teh radiator and intercooler. Suck hot air out rather than blow air into the engine bay is the idea.

In fact, if you have enough air going through forward facing scoops u can cause the airflow through teh radiator and intercooler FMIC to go to almost nothing even at high speed.s
Old 18-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Sir AntiLag

Thread stealing but ...

I'm after a bonnet vent for my 06, similar to the gc8's, ppl give me hass over the idea but i'm keen. Who could perform such an operation?
Old 18-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

nice way to butcher a brand new car
Old 18-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by jEstEr?
nice way to butcher a brand new car
That's the hass !!!

Still keen though