Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Cosmetic
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

RoughStilin at standard level
Default Splits for front, help me decide.

Hey Guys,

I am looking for a little advice. I have decided to give the stereo an upgrade and was wondering on front splits. They need to have some punch in the midrange department, while also producing nice clean sound quality.

I have a Pioneer DVD head unit at the moment, unsure of the model #. Will be changing to an Alpine W502E soon. Have an T600-4 (100w x 4 @ 4 RMS) on the way along with a P3 12". I will be getting some half decent 4" (probably MB's) for the rears to run off the head unit as fill for the rear.

I have had Fosgate Amps and Subs before, really liked them, as in they fit my taste in sound reproduction. Also have had MB Quart Q series, was more than happy with them, but there are on the slightly, expensive side.

Mostly listen to dance music, House, Techno etc...

I can get the Rockford Fosgate T1652-s for a decent price ($290). Plus I should not have too much of an issue installing them. Any one have these? How do they sound?

MB Quart Premiums maybe?

Have around the $300 - $350 for the front splits, just want to get the best I can for the money.

Any info would be appreciated.

Simon
Old 18-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

<insert bumpstop here>

Regarding MB Quarts, last time I was at Alberts in Morley the guys mentioned there are two types of stock on the market now.

One being made in china, the other in Germany 'or somewhere else can't remember', apparently the newer MB Quarts model speakers aren't as good as they use to be, Mr Bumpstop, care to comment
Old 18-07-2010, 09:59 AM

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

I'd await Macey's comments being the guru of all things car audio
Old 18-07-2010, 10:31 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

92 RS at standard level

i heard the same thing as marc about the MB quartz. alpine type r splits get my vote

http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=87
Old 18-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 RS View Post
i heard the same thing as marc about the MB quartz. alpine type r splits get my vote

http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=87
Not a big fan of Alpine splits. Dont get me wrong they are nice, but I think the MB's are much clearer and louder. It's a personal thing though I guess, what music you listen too, how you hear different frequencies, blah blah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mARC View Post
<insert bumpstop here>

Regarding MB Quarts, last time I was at Alberts in Morley the guys mentioned there are two types of stock on the market now.

One being made in china, the other in Germany 'or somewhere else can't remember', apparently the newer MB Quarts model speakers aren't as good as they use to be, Mr Bumpstop, care to comment
I know, they have now changed the name I think, something like German Maestro??? Something like that I think... Also I believe Rockford use to own MB Q ??

Really keen to know how good these RF 1652-S splits are though, they can handle 100w RMS, seem pretty good price for what I can get them for.

Simon
Old 18-07-2010, 06:01 PM

mARC at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughStilin View Post
Really keen to know how good these RF 1652-S splits are though, they can handle 100w RMS, seem pretty good price for what I can get them for.

Simon
Is this through a mate? Though its been a while since I've been serious about ICE, I do remember people having to sell their soul for anything with Foscate on the box.
Old 18-07-2010, 07:04 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

SN4P2ND at standard level

alpine type r ftw

although there are some really good quality pioneer ones i was having a look at today. New stock 2010. Unsure of the name
Old 18-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Sir AntiLag

bumpstop at standard level

The MB Quart / German Maestro story can get confusing and long winded so I'll just give you a very short version.

MB Quart brand was bought by Maxxsonics and the production was moved out of Germany.
The old MB Quart factory and some of the old employees and engineers then began producing Maestro.
So MB Quart is not what it used to be, but neither is German Maestro.
They are both still reasonable product lines but just understand what you are buying.

The Rockford Fosgate T1652-s splits I would expect to be quite good performers, and at the price you have quoted I'd say that's a steal. I don't know what the local rrp on those is but the US MSRP is up around the US$450 mark.
I haven't had personal experience with a current model set of those splits so my comment is only based on experience with previous generations.

As some people have mentioned, the Alpine Type-R's are an option and I have seen many people very happy with them.
I quite like the performance and sound quality of the Hertz HSK-165's and would stretch my budget a bit further to buy them over the Type-R's.

Whatever splits you end up buying, the quality of the installation will play a big part in the final result. Remember that a system is only as good as it's weakest link.
Old 19-07-2010, 06:52 AM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mARC View Post
Is this through a mate? Though its been a while since I've been serious about ICE, I do remember people having to sell their soul for anything with Foscate on the box.
Na, not through a mate mARC. I have, as usual, before buying something, just done lots of searching around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpstop View Post
The MB Quart / German Maestro story can get confusing and long winded so I'll just give you a very short version.

MB Quart brand was bought by Maxxsonics and the production was moved out of Germany.
The old MB Quart factory and some of the old employees and engineers then began producing Maestro.
So MB Quart is not what it used to be, but neither is German Maestro.
They are both still reasonable product lines but just understand what you are buying.

The Rockford Fosgate T1652-s splits I would expect to be quite good performers, and at the price you have quoted I'd say that's a steal. I don't know what the local rrp on those is but the US MSRP is up around the US$450 mark.
I haven't had personal experience with a current model set of those splits so my comment is only based on experience with previous generations.

As some people have mentioned, the Alpine Type-R's are an option and I have seen many people very happy with them.
I quite like the performance and sound quality of the Hertz HSK-165's and would stretch my budget a bit further to buy them over the Type-R's.

Whatever splits you end up buying, the quality of the installation will play a big part in the final result. Remember that a system is only as good as it's weakest link.
Hey Bumpstop,

Thanks for the clarification on the MB story.

I was quoted $649 for the RF 1652-s, they did not have any wired up though, hence I did not get to hear them in the store. So I did some hunting around and can get some at just under the $300 mark.

I have been on the RF site to see what info I could get from them. All I could really see was that they have the bi-amplified option, can handle 100w RMS, and although possibly a biased opinion, being the RF site, people did seem to rate them.

Could not agree more on the install side of things. I intend to do this really well. I am hopefully getting a price back today for around 8m2 of sound deadening mat, so hopefully I will fit out the whole car, which should help.

Thanks to everyone's input, have decided to give the RF's a go and see how they run.

Simon

Tags
decide, front, splits