Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Cosmetic
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-08-2010, 01:44 PM
STI Master

Darken at standard level
Default Dyna Mat?

Hey Guys

Okay, I've never used it before but how good is Dyna Mat?

Where do I buy it and what should I be paying?

Cheers
Old 21-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

Dynamat is awesome. About $330 for a bulk pack which is 36 square feet which should do a whole car: front doors, parcel shelf, boot lid, boot sides and boot floor. Crank it up and put it wherever you hear any other rattles.

There are other products that do the same job but maybe not as good as Dynamat such as Stinger Roadkill. If you are on a real tight budget, Jaycar do some stuff that is cheap as, but it comes in smaller packets so you might need to go back and get some more if you misjudge how much you need.
Old 21-08-2010, 04:40 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Tommosaurus at standard level

My mate just decked out his colt with Dynamat and he swears by it. Not only does it make the stereo sound beefy as, but drastically reduces road noise.
He got it from www.ryda.com.au but I don't know if that's a good price or not.
Only took a day or two for shipping.
Old 21-08-2010, 04:42 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Tommosaurus at standard level

Oh and instead of using a $30 dynamat roller, a $2 trolley wheel from bunnings apparently does the trick.
Old 21-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

RoughStilin at standard level

What do you want the Dynamat for?

Dynamat itself, is not a sound proofing agent. It is a vibration damper. If you have a aftermarket stereo it will make it sound better. It basically does this by stopping panels from vibrating.

Do a quick test on the roof of your car. Tap the roof of your car with the end of your finger. You will notice a "tinny" sound. Now place the palm and fingers of your other hand on the roof of the car. Tap again. You should notice a significant difference in sound. The second test should have much more of a thump, solid sound to it.

Have a look here, this guy has done lots of testing of different materials. While the information may not be 100% accurate, or up to date, it is very informative of different vibration deadening products and sound deadening products.

The closed cell foam / MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) is what you want to help sound proof your car. The Dynamt (or equivalent, Dynamat is just a name brand) will help to stop vbrations and rattles in your car.

Both used together will have a tremendous effect. Using either, there will still be a noticeable effect. Just note on the above link, you do not have to cover 100% of every panel to achieve the same effect using the vibration damper. 25% - 50% is enough, watch the sound comparison videos.

It is also quite weighty, so don't be surprised to add 20 - 30 kg, or more dependent on how far you want to go, to the weight of your car.

The last thing is that there are basically 2 types of vibration damper.

The first is the old school type which is bitumen / tar. This does work, however in hot temps (Aus summer) it is know to melt and run. If you have this material on your roof or inside your doors, I am sure you can imagine the mess it makes.

Then second, is the type you want. Butyl. This is basically rubber. It will not melt and has much better vibration dampening properties.

Anyway, congratulations if you have read to the end of this post. My fingers are now sore. I have attached a link / names for other products other than Dyamat, which I believe are just as good, but cheaper. You can get the foam I mentioned from Clark Rubber. it's called closed cell foam, you just need spray adhesive (3M 90) to stick it down. The foam is for the sound deadening.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50-Ne...ltDomainQ5f100

Hush mat
Second skin
B-Quiet

There are more. Type sound deadening / sound dampner into ebay.

Hope this helps. If you want anymore info, let me know I can source Butyl mat, exactly the same as Dynamat for $160 for 36 sq ft.

Simon

Last edited by RoughStilin; 22-08-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 21-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

Question regarding the foam products, how do these go regarding extra weight, and how easy is it to remove if you have to for repair/other reasons. I'm assuming it would get in everywhere being a pain if you needed quick access to a particular area?
Old 21-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

Foam is kind of like mattress foam. Same application as the Dynamt, just stick it on. Its not like expandable foam.

I have attached a jpeg of closed cell foam that is 5mm thick. Mass Loaded Vinyl is even better, but more expensive. Dynamt is around 1.8 to 2mm thick, just to put it into perspective.

Think of a sound recording studio and the "egg carton shaped" material they use for sound proofing. The foam is of the same material, although its flat not in a "egg carton" shape.

This will sound proof better than the Dynamat. Its around $50 for 2sq meters from memory....

Hope this helps

Simon
Attached Thumbnails
pad.jpg  

Last edited by RoughStilin; 22-08-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 21-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

Should have mentioned above, but sound proofing and vibration dampening are similar, but not the same.

Dynamat = Vibration proofing
Foam Mass Loaded Vinyl = Sound proofing

Although Dynamat will sound proof by stopping the sound / noise caused by vibrations of panels.

Hope this kind of makes sense. The link I put up under here should help.

Simon

Last edited by RoughStilin; 22-08-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 21-08-2010, 11:15 PM