Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Motorsport > F1 Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree145Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Master D knows their stuff

It's webbers burning up tyres harder than VET all season that has seemed to determine his strategys.
Old 15-10-2013, 12:21 AM
STI Master

Slap Dash knows their stuff

Formula 1's Leading Team Has a Big Secret | Autopia | Wired.com
Bob likes this.

Having a modern day PC without an SSD is like hiring a hooker for hugs.......
Old 15-10-2013, 09:18 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

DamoESP at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
It was the team that determined Webbers pit strategy. I'd love to see the lap by lap timing data. Does anyone list this sort of info?
Yep, F1 Fanatic always has heaps of info like that after a race:

2013 Japanese Grand Prix lap times and fastest laps - F1 Fanatic
Old 15-10-2013, 09:34 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

DamoESP at standard level

A lot of this has already been debunked on other forums and in the media.
All teams use a common ECU, and RBR's has been checked numerous times after complaints from other teams, and nothing has been found.
Even Alonso came out and said that the RBR has sounded like that all season.

One thing that has been suggested and is the possible reason for the sound, is that RBR have found a way to cut power to some the cylinders while coming out of the corners...

Quote:
What Renault was given, back in 2011 was a dispensation from F1 technical director Charlie Whiting to be able to cut cylinders, up to four at the time. Renault claimed it needed to do this for reliability and that is likely what you are hearing in the clip: an engine map which makes use of that ability. You can argue cutting cylinders mid-corner and then bringing them back gradually is a form of traction control, but as long as there is no connection between actual wheelspin and engine modulation, it's not illegal.
Here is a better article that explains how they can be doing it, legally:
Red Bull May Have Invented A Secret New Hybrid Technology

The other thing people are going on about is "Why isn't the same thing happening with Mark's car, its an RBR conspiracy I tell you, wah wah wah"

Two reasons:
1. He is leaving at the end of the season, and I am sure that if they have "discovered" a new way of legal traction control, they sure as hell won't be sharing any information with the disgruntled employee who is leaving within the next two months.

2. Money. The FIA recently changed how the entry fee for teams works. The more points you gain, and the more points you win by, means you have to pay more to enter the following year, so winning by an insane points margin when the Constructors Championship is already in the bag, will only cost the team more money

Quote:
Even more importantly, once the championship is clinched, then Red Bull ought to strive to score as few points as possible. The reason why is because FIA’s recently implemented entry fee changes make dominant success a particularly expensive endeavor. According to the new rules, the first-place team must pay a $500,000 base fee plus $6,000 per championship point. In other words, the more demonstrative the success, the more it will cost the team.

To put the new fees into context, consider the last two F1 seasons. In 2012, Red Bull won with 460 points and a 60-point lead on Ferrari. Had the current entry fee system been in place then, the finish would have cost Red Bull $3.3 million with some $350,000 in extra spending for its points cushion. In 2011, however, the team won with 650 points and a massive 153-point lead. That means the season would have cost Red Bull $4.4 million with nearly $1 million coming just from the huge lead over second-place McLaren.

F1 is already among the most expensive sports in the world, so the last thing Red Bull – which also owns a second F1 team – should do is spend big just for winning by more than it needed to. With a fourth straight title all but assured at this point, it simply makes no sense to give Webber the (again, rumored) traction control technology, even if it might be the most revolutionary development in the sport’s recent history.
MotorTweets | Mark Webber | Why Won't Red Bull Racing Share Its Secret Technology With Mark Webber? - Forbes
Old 15-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Sir AntiLag

Sharpy.au at standard level

Although it's not really related to the sound of the RBR or the traction control debate, Mercedes have said they think RedBull and more recently Lotus (the top two Renault powered teams) have had some clever engine mapping tweaks form Renault that have given them some significant advantages

Mercedes aims to uncover and match Renault engine mapping trickery | Grand Prix 247

Also some more interesting things on the engine sound and the unlikeliness that it is traction control

http://grandprix247.com/2013/10/01/i...ttels-success/

Last edited by Sharpy.au; 15-10-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 15-10-2013, 02:15 PM