Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

View Poll Results: Which colour to select
Silver 18 22.22%
Black 39 48.15%
Keep the WRX STI 24 29.63%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

Wait for Evo X
Old 22-05-2007, 09:26 AM
Subaru Tech Division

stinga at standard level

Dave, a mate just bought a std GT Lib, very nice car, brakes and power don't do it for me tho. The Sti version with Brembos and some good pads would certainly help, but it definetly needs more power. What turbo they run, TD04 on the 2.5?
Al
Old 22-05-2007, 09:46 AM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinga
Dave, a mate just bought a std GT Lib, very nice car, brakes and power don't do it for me tho. The Sti version with Brembos and some good pads would certainly help, but it definetly needs more power. What turbo they run, TD04 on the 2.5?
Al
TD04 but would likely do a VF38 and dump pipe mod on her. The STI version does come with brembos and 6MT, 18" wheels , bilstein suspension, leather seats, lip, etc.
Old 22-05-2007, 03:05 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

Well you guys helped me with the colour choice thanks very much.

Silver 15 22.73%
Black 31 46.97%
Keep the WRX STI 20 30.30%

Suby dealer rang me and the black manual Libo STI will get a test run from me tomorrow! I am still not 100% on the trade but will have a much better feel after the test and will let you guys know if I make the trade!
Old 22-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dave
TD04 but would likely do a VF38 and dump pipe mod on her. The STI version does come with brembos and 6MT, 18" wheels , bilstein suspension, leather seats, lip, etc.

defiantely get the liberty sti version if it has the brakes
Old 22-05-2007, 03:52 PM

Mister Two at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dave

Sounds like a great plan. Vf38, exhuast, and Verso and you'll be making some good power. 180+kw ATW is not unreasonable for that kind of a setup.
Old 22-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WRXTASY at standard level

Sorry to rain on your parade but a VF38 twin scroll will be way way to small for a 2.5lt plus you will need to change your headers/up-pipe/dump-pipe/turbo bracket/oil pickup for the twin scroll. Minimum $3k inc VF Turbo.

I would be going down the Blouch TD05-18G or 20G route if you still want quick spool up with good power at moderate boost. Good prices too.

http://www.prospeedracing.com.au/category13_1.htm

J
Old 22-05-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXTASY
Sorry to rain on your parade but a VF38 twin scroll will be way way to small for a 2.5lt plus you will need to change your headers/up-pipe/dump-pipe/turbo bracket/oil pickup for the twin scroll. Minimum $3k inc VF Turbo.

I would be going down the Blouch TD05-18G or 20G route if you still want quick spool up with good power at moderate boost. Good prices too.

http://www.prospeedracing.com.au/category13_1.htm

J
A vf38 while being small is significantly bigger than the stock td04. And he wont need to change anything as the GT is already twinscroll with the correct headers, sump, etc... and flanges for a vf38. A blouch tdo5 or any other vf turbo wont work with the stock TMIC as IIRC he wants to keep it looking stock under the hood. A vf36/37/42 will work if he gets a new twinscroll up-pipe with the correct flange for the these vf turbos. And if that is done a new WRX TMIC will be needed or go the FMIC route. If a WRX TMIC is used then a new scoop air splitter will be needed as the stock splitter is designed for the stock TMIC which is much smaller and different shaped than a WRX TMIC.

Last edited by Mister Two; 22-05-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 22-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WRXTASY at standard level

Sump and flanges are a bonus but I find it hard to believe Subaru would put twin sroll headers on anything that did not run a twin scroll from the factory. The 2.5 WRX\STi runs the same sump but regular headers so why would they put different headers on the TD04 GT ?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I still think a Vf38 is too small VF36/37/42 or PE1825f much better

J
Old 22-05-2007, 08:46 PM

the Liberty GT td04 is a twinscroll td04. It has the same compressor and exhaust turbine as the WRX td04 but has a twinscroll exhaust housing and a different compressor cover to accomodate the Lib GT TMIC.

A vf38 will make the car very friendly on the street and still enough top end to make more than 180kw ATW. It has similar output to a vf35 but will spool up much faster thanks to the ball bearing core and titanium compressor wheel and shaft.

Yes a vf36/37/42 would be a better option but they will not bolt onto the GT twinscroll headers. You need an appropriate up-pipe to bolt those on. But then they wont work with the TMIC of the GT as it is a side entry/exit TMIC unlike the WRX TMIC which is underside rear entry and front exit. You could put on a WRX TMIC with some modification to the intercooler mount but then you would need a new bonnet scoop air splitter. Too much stuffing around since the vf38 is a simple bolt on job with no other mods required and still has more than enough flow to make for a pretty quick street car.

Dave, if you are willing to go the extra mile for a larger twinscroll turbo. I think Terry (spikey) has a vf37 for sale for $1100. Top end is a little more than a vf34, but it does not use a BB core. Rather it uses thrust bearings. Still good though as it still has the titanium internals IIRC.

Last edited by Mister Two; 22-05-2007 at 08:51 PM.

Tags
07, choice, gt, liberty, spec, sti