Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Adr3naL1N at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Adr3naL1N

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPreSiV
heh, I have never had dealings with the guys there. Go have a look at it, see if its what you like.

Have you sold your gc8 yet, coz if you are a little premature in the looking out for a new car, I would hold off until your ready. If you see a car you like, and you aren't in a position to buy it yet, it will make life that bit harder for you. It happened to me.

the rex is currently on hold for someone, i have another person interested if they bail but i dont think they will, so hopefully its sold, i wont be makin any offers until i have the cash though.
Old 16-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WRXTASY at standard level

I would be offering below $30k for a 02 STi that has been mildly modded. Especially if they look like poverty pack mods. Who knows what other corners have been cut to make it look "Tuff" and run "Ruff".

The only way to buy a modded WRX is to get a well known one off this forum where the History of the car and it various stages of modification have at least been partially documented and the Workshops that have done the work can be rang up for a yak.

This especially applies for the 99/00 model WRX's with their dodgy AFM's and cast pistons.

MY02-05 STi's run less of a risk with semi-closed deck and forgies...

Last edited by WRXTASY; 16-08-2007 at 12:55 PM.
Old 16-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete gopal
thanks for you opinion mate...if you had a choice of buying a completly stock 02 Sti and a modded one for around the same price what would you choose?
That is such a stupid assumption.. The stock looking sti could have been modded to the hilt and the owner sold all the aftermarket parts and traded it in as standard.. HOW WOULD u know if its been modded or not..

man some ppl are just plainly dont have a clue.. Modded cars can be treated the same if not better than unmodded cars. But u will never know that a car has been modded or not./.

my advice, choose whatever car u like modded or not but get a standard inspection done to make sure its alright..
Old 16-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Subaru Tech Division

pete gopal at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwrex
That is such a stupid assumption.. The stock looking sti could have been modded to the hilt and the owner sold all the aftermarket parts and traded it in as standard.. HOW WOULD u know if its been modded or not..

man some ppl are just plainly dont have a clue.. Modded cars can be treated the same if not better than unmodded cars. But u will never know that a car has been modded or not./.

my advice, choose whatever car u like modded or not but get a standard inspection done to make sure its alright..
shame u didn't read my previous comment before making this statement when i said a lot of modded cars do go back "to stock" before the owner decides to sell it. However most of the times they do not return the car to factory stock...they will leave the exhaust on, or the pod coz they cant find the stock airbox etc what im saying is most ppl do end up modding/looking after their cars correctly however even on this site how many threads have there been when someone decides to put a manual boost controller and a fuel cut def. In my books thats not the way to mod your car.

Thats why I'm sticking with my opinion that USUALLY factory stock cars are a better investment. It is my own opinion and I'm standing by it, people are entitled to think\believe whatever they like. Again in previous replies I've used the word "usually"
Old 16-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Adr3naL1N at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Adr3naL1N

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXTASY
I would be offering below $30k for a 02 STi that has been mildly modded. Especially if they look like poverty pack mods. Who knows what other corners have been cut to make it look "Tuff" and run "Ruff"
hmm but do you think id have a chance at getting that for 30k or under at all?
Old 16-08-2007, 05:09 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

redly rocket at standard level

Look for any dramas with it too, if the brakes shudder or any other little things that Subaru would probably charge the world for and use that as some leverage.
Old 16-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Sir AntiLag

ndfourspd at standard level

OMG its a bug...hahaha just kidding.

well like most people have make sure you get it checked out. the only advice i have is have a figure that you think its worth or what you're prepared to pay. also be prepared to walk away. even if you negotiate a good price you still need to prepared to walk away in case the inspection comes back bad.

thats all i have to say about it. good luck
Old 16-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Goofy at standard level

The most important thing to remember is that a Dealership is a business, and as a business it must turn a profit. This doesn't mean that customer service should go out the window, quite the opposite. Ask the Dealership what they can do for you, why should you buy a car from them?

- Find the car that you want yourself, if there is nothing there that you like then ask, if there is still nothing then walk away, don't waste your time.

- Most Salesman have monthly targets. I always try to buy vehicles towards the end of the month when they need to get the numbers up. This is where cash works in your favour as they don't have to wait for finance.

- Test drive, ask as many questions as you can and try to guage what kind of feel the dealership has about the car. Most Salespeople won't sell a dodgy car to someone they like, they will want to get you something you'll be happy with so that you'll come back. Referral is a salespersons best friend, repeat business is better.

- Talk to the guys in the workshop about the car as any good dealership will change the oil/filter, clean out the air filter or replace it, fix any little niggling problems and give the car a general going over.

- feel free to haggle price. The only negative response you're likely to get is an outright "no". A Dealer won't sell you something if it's not good for them to do so.

This is just a guide as to what I would do, I've probably missed a few things though. I have worked in a dealership before and was quite successful ( #1 Ducati Salesman in WA #2 in Australia) but that was with bikes. However I don't see how car dealerships would be much different.
Old 16-08-2007, 08:38 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

nang3 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN682
My advice is treat them like the pieces of shit they are

or is that only when you are dealing with lane ford?

hrm...
haha mate thats just about every dealership... ive found one where mates or mates relatives work are even worse sometimes haha
Old 17-08-2007, 02:08 PM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level

What about buying over East? When I bought my Z, there were hardly any to choose from in WA and they were quite pricey. It cost me $1100 all up to get it transported over. I didnt get to see the car, but had Nissan check it over for $80 and fax me a detailed report. So a little bit of a risk involved, but it was well worth it, I got a fantastic deal. Check out Carsales, I found a white one, no mods, 73'000 kms, $28K, you could probably get them to knock 1K off which pays for your shipping. The only hassle with buying interstate is it has to go over the pits when it gets here.

White Sti - cheap like a bird

Last edited by perthzed; 17-08-2007 at 02:10 PM.

Tags
dealers, dealing