Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree500Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

^^^ I remember from years ago that instead of using a catch can we were going to run the breathers straight to the exhaust using an anti-backfire one way valve, this would then create a vacuum in the sump and would supposedly give you a couple of extra horsepower due to the gases and oil being sucked out of the sump - rather than floating around in the sump - same reason a crank scraper works - stops the excess oil floating around the sump and crankshaft. I think we found out that this is very common amongst the drag racers - you can usually see a line and valve sticking out of the short exhaust pipe.
So if you were going to try and create a vacuum using your scavenge pump - good idea but you would need to have the catch can sealed wouldnt you - otherwise it is just going to suck air through the filters???

Ps I havent posted here before but have followed the story, that engine bay gets better everytime you look at it and congrats on the NASIOC win. The car is a credit to you.

Simon

p.S took this quote from my thread on rexnet...

Thoughts??
Old 29-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Subaru Tech Division

type25 at standard level

if you are trying to create a vacuum, which is a good thing for improving ring sealing, then yes, no breathers.
Old 29-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

^^ His 'scavenge' pump is a tiny little 12volt oil pump, it will never evacuate the crankcase enough to even keep up with the blowby, forget about it pulling a vacuum.

Maybe a second power steering pump could be utilised to evacuate the crankcase and the turbo sump, delivering the oil to a separator with a gravity return to the sump and a breather to expel the blowby?
Old 30-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Sign me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by type25 View Post
if you are trying to create a vacuum, which is a good thing for improving ring sealing, then yes, no breathers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrally View Post
^^ His 'scavenge' pump is a tiny little 12volt oil pump, it will never evacuate the crankcase enough to even keep up with the blowby, forget about it pulling a vacuum.

Maybe a second power steering pump could be utilised to evacuate the crankcase and the turbo sump, delivering the oil to a separator with a gravity return to the sump and a breather to expel the blowby?
As Dougie said i dont think that its creating much of a vacuum as i have the turbo sump breather line connected to the catch can currently so ill leave it as planned that adjust if needed..
Old 30-11-2010, 09:09 AM
STI Master

scary knows their stuff

Me internet warrior.......you are a funny boy sometimes Tino. My post count is just soooooo huge.

Yep your right I spend all my time on forums and not racing, driving or rallying.

I still think you missed the point someone else has designed that concept albeit only a catch can not a dry sump, but visually you are proposing a very similar design.

I do believe that if people put in the hard work to design something it shouldn't be ripped off by all and sundry. This is not just in regards to Motorsport workshops.

12.463 1/4 mile, not bad for an old school Liberty [DECEASED]

MY08 Liberty Tuned by STi
Old 30-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Sign me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary View Post
Me internet warrior.......you are a funny boy sometimes Tino. My post count is just soooooo huge.

Yep your right I spend all my time on forums and not racing, driving or rallying.

I still think you missed the point someone else has designed that concept albeit only a catch can not a dry sump, but visually you are proposing a very similar design.

I do believe that if people put in the hard work to design something it shouldn't be ripped off by all and sundry. This is not just in regards to Motorsport workshops.
An internet warrior dosent have to have a high post count, but likes to stir shit with no basis of truth..

Shane i think your missing the point entirely.. This isnt a one-off design and has been replicated eleswhere with a similar concept, so are we to say that workshop A used their IP..

How my tank setup looks will be entirely how it can be fabricated in the space avaliable. As i said previously i just cobbled together something from a picture rather than me trying to fail at drawing what i wanted it to be..

Now if i went and got that tank in my possession and then got someone else to replicate it then thats a entirely different story... but visually my tank setup will look entirely different and functionally even more so...

Am i to say that someone that has used picture of my intake manifold or low mount setup to produce something stealing IP... No (and i have seen similar offerings)..

Not unless they actually replicate it.. It will always be different functionally and even visually...
Old 30-11-2010, 09:42 AM

Strubaru knows their stuff

& I thought you had genuine drafting skillz tino job offer is off mate
Old 30-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Subaru Tech Division

[REXPLOIT] at standard level
Send a message via MSN to [REXPLOIT]

Tino...

I love many aspects of your car, (mechnically mainly), but if you are going to post things/news/info up, you obviously want people to comment. Be it good, bad or indifferent.

And hows that Dec 31st deadline date going....? (Not so good I hear.... LOL. Sorry to hear about getting stuff around from paint shop ).

Brent.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 30-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Sign me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strubaru View Post
& I thought you had genuine drafting skillz tino job offer is off mate

lol chris the schematic was from my mate in the U.S and in powerpoint i adjusted it to suit and change what i wanted from the catch can.. This has nothing to do with what shane is crying about (and only shane the other people in interest dont care two hoots)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepR View Post
Tino...

I love many aspects of your car, (mechnically mainly), but if you are going to post things/news/info up, you obviously want people to comment. Be it good, bad or indifferent.

And hows that Dec 31st deadline date going....? (Not so good I hear.... LOL. Sorry to hear about getting stuff around from paint shop ).

Brent.

Brent i put stuff up for opinions of functionality etc not for people to try and have a winge that im stealing peoples IP... thats below the belt imo.. Have a look at my car and you can see that..

And deadline is dead in the water.. Let me set things straight I havent been stuffed around i always knew that it was going to be tight to get the car in with beyond custom as they are so busy.

It just so happened that it didnt pan out how we both wanted and i knew that this was a big possibility, so it will be getting done in early next year with my car being booked in and nothing else getting in the way...

it just means that i still be updating the thread next year.. lols...
Old 30-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Sir AntiLag

MadDocker at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary View Post
You can't be serious with this surely? Someone makes something completely different but similar looking to someone else and it's a rip off/IP theft? Every car/tv/coffee mug/painting/clothing/anything else is guilty of this "crime".

Tags
anymore, back, because racecar, build, clacka, cs = cock smoker, dougy wants to see tinos hairy balls in mirror, elmo, engine, fat, less wing moar sequential, rats, russ's other ride is tino, sequential gets the bitches, tino needs music due to the lack of pussy, top scoob, trainwrex, where is tino?, [tinonot] ?