Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 05:52 AM
Sir AntiLag

*Stockers* at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay
I think Matt's going to have alot to say about the pro's and cons of "going halves" in a car as well Blair ....

Another option - find something fairly modded out of Japan, then return it to stock, and re-apply the mods one by one.

Sounds wierd but at least youll know that you have everything sitting to go and youll get to learn how the stuff comes on and off. Not going to be hard to swap suspension back to stock stuff etc etc.

This is actually a brilliant idea. It will be cheaper (mods bring price down - or should!!!) and when you are done you will have a stock platform that you know the in's and out's of and a garage full of upgrades that you know will fit and how....

Teej mate - stroke of genius.... Hell if you do this to a cheap GC b-reg STi RA with bulk mods or something...... wow.

(Runs off to call JWS)
Old 06-03-2008, 08:10 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

chee at standard level

eg civic with b18c

or gc8.

whats this motorsports degree like?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:16 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

GETAGRIP at standard level
Send a message via MSN to GETAGRIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BN01
My alternative to all this btw, is to find someone else who wants to go halves in the little venture so we have enough dosh to do it properly. Any takers?
I'd advise heavily against this, especially if the car is goin going on the track - it's a Pandora's Box of blame, cost sharing, fault and responsibility issues that will end in tears

Al
Old 06-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BN01
My alternative to all this btw, is to find someone else who wants to go halves in the little venture so we have enough dosh to do it properly. Any takers?
Blair, only goes haves in a vehicle with your family. And then be prepared to pay for it all

I let my brother race in my car, but I pay for everything.

Going halves with someone else will only end in tears as what happens in 6 months when you have invested a lot of time and effort into the car and the other party is no longer interested and wants to sell? Be a great waste.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:38 AM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

GC8 RA, B reg, throw a cage in, take out as much weight as possible and go for it. Cheap fast weekend toy. Put coin away for 6speed conversion if anything.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

The only person I'd go halves in would be a codriver (navigator) with like a GroupN car or some such. But mechanical problems will be souly your fault if you were driving. A contract and a very healthy discussion about what you each hope to achieve and put into the project would definately be on the cards
Old 06-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

A couple of things to bear in mind. It costs the same to put a cage / seats / suspension / brakes etc in a $2k gc8 or a $50k GD. I.e. The only advantage cost wise of buying an older car is the initial up front price.

I do like jesters idea of the motec bearing in mind your study. I am quite happy with my autronic but I have absolutely no inclination of playing with timing / boost etc.

In relation to licenses you can not b reg a car unless you have a level 3 license. To get this you need to do an observed license test. There are only 2 people in the state to do this so it becomes a pain in the ass.

It comes down to what you want to do and how serious you want to get.

If you want to limit yourself to ahg / duttons etc then you can build anything. Cut holes in it everywhere, make panels out of carbon, plastic windows etc. Remembering that you are limiting your target market somewhat when you go to sell it.

If you want to get half serious and do a targa west type event then you really want the car to have been homologated by the manufacturer. i.e. I looked at getting a 22B to build up for targa type events but because it was never homologated the minimum weight I would have had to run was the brouchure weight + 47kg (spare tyre / fuel / first aid kit). i.e 1250 + 47kg. However my car (V5 STi type ra) was properly homologated by subaru and minimum weight is around 1130 + 47 kg.

Theory says that if you want to do targa type events they will not let you enter in things like an mx5 with a rotary unless invited. Look at Chris Caruso in the black jag. Awesome car, good steerer but seriously comprimised by events he can enter.

In terms of money it never ends. I got 500 kilometres out of a set of DBA 5000 rotors and Ferodo Pads. Just running costs (Clutch / Brakes / Tyres / Fuel) costs me around $6 per competitive kilometre. That does not allow for any wear and tear to the engine etc. I bought a Peltor intercom the other day and two practise headsets and that was around $1k. It just keeps adding up.

Assuming nothing breaks doing dutton in the east will set you back around $10k. No ifs no but that is what you are up for. Targa Tassie is over $30k.

The other option would be to buy a go kart. Varying entry levels and will teach you more about setup and driving skills than anything. Also if you are prepared to travel within WA you can race just about every weekend for 10 months of the year. Mind you to get into a new top shelf 125 rotax chassis and motor with trailer / spares / clothes / tent / trolley / rib protector / helmet etc you will not get any change out of $15k. After every meet you end up stripping the kart down to nothing to clean it and prepare it for the next meeting. A kart is also a lot easier to store than another car.

Before you start worrying about what sort of car to buy you need to think about the following:

a) what is the end goal? Do I want to do no limit / ahg / dutton or do I want to go further and do targa tassie etc.
b) Have I got anywhere to store it. Leaving a rally car on the front lawn is not a cool idea.
c) Can I transport it? i.e can I borrow dads landcruiser for a weekend to race in the meelup hill climb and do I have a trailer. Driving a b reg & caged car on the road is fun for about 3 minutes. It is seriously noisy / uncomfortable and the police dont take particularly kindly to it. Even when you are in the right.
d) Do I want to go out and have fun running midfield or do I want to be up the front? There are a couple of really nice guys that went halves in a v3 sti. Never been involved in motorsport, seemingly more interested in beating each other than running at the front and having a great time. They are very aware that they are not going to win an event outright but are having a blast on a moderate budget.
e) Have I got anywhere to work on it. If you pull your mums car out of the garage and pull the gearbox out and have to wait a week for some parts how happy is she going to be that her car is parked outside? I am lucky and have a hoist etc so not an issue but if I had to work out of the garage at home mum would have kicked me out ages ago.
f) If I crash it can I afford to fix it? WRX's are great in this regard. Go and get another shell and swap all the bits over. Easy peasy.
g) Have I got the money to run it. You dont want to jepordise your safety cause the brakes / tyres should really be replaced but I cant afford it just yet etc.

What I am trying to get at is if you are happy running midfield then I dont think a wrx is the car. Great fun but you can get out there and amongst it for a lot cheaper in other cars.

Anyways there is heaps to think about there and you are more than welcome to come and have a look at my car or PM me about specific costs.

Cheers

Brendon
Old 06-03-2008, 01:00 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

WRC at standard level

Good advice Brendon.

Just like to correct you on one point. It is possible to both import and B-Reg and Log Book a car with a level 2S Cams license. I've done it.

I started doing my 3PC but gave it up once I realised that nobody was going to ask me to produce it to either bring the car in or B-Reg it. Also no point at the moment as I doubt I'll have the budget to do anything too serious this year.

Last edited by WRC; 06-03-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

I agree an S13 would probably be the best option to teach you more about car control and engineering but within a budget
Old 06-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Flat Four Father

mr_psi at standard level
Send a message via MSN to mr_psi

datsun sunny

Tags
grand, plan