Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Missing / Flat on boost .. (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/22717-missing-flat-boost.html)

Rossco 22-01-2009 06:23 AM

[QUOTE=RichX]Got a Scangauge2 connected tonight, saw two codes immediately.

P0113 - Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input
P0102 - Mass air flow sensor circuit low input

From what i've read both of the above codes are generated from the AFM! Gonna clear the codes and see if they come back, if so swap the AFM again and monitor.

It's wierd though as the problem remained with the different AFM.[/QUOTE]

Have you done the earthing mod yet?

try that first .

jungleboy 22-01-2009 08:03 AM

You may have done this already but have you checked the wiring from the AFM back to the ECU? It could be as simple as a dodgy connector.

RUSSGT 22-01-2009 08:09 AM

[QUOTE=jungleboy]You may have done this already but have you checked the wiring from the AFM back to the ECU? It could be as simple as a dodgy connector.[/QUOTE]
I would try this to! Hard work but worth it! Also hit the afm and plug with contact cleaner. Hows my AFM goin?

Strubaru 22-01-2009 08:53 AM

yeah spray contact cleaner into the afm plug and plug it in & out a few times to clean the crud off the connectors

Pimpreza 22-01-2009 09:56 AM

I actually had my AFM die but in a different way to usual, took me weeks to work it out but it was the actual pins in the plug, one had come loose in the AFM, have you tried wriggling the plug whilst idling, for that matter do it to every plug you can see, if there is a slight difference in idle it may need a bit of adjustment or replacing..............Do the earths!!!!!

RichX 22-01-2009 10:13 AM

Hey Guys,

Cheers for the comments.

Ross - Not yet mate, went searching for an Earthing Kit the other day. Couldn't find one. Wasn't too keen on doing a backyard job myself. I have been keeping an eye on the voltages while driving. Usually hangs up around 14.2V. Hasn't stuttered yet while monitoring, but will keep an eye on the voltage when it does.

Gonna check the wiring to the AFM tonight.

As i said before, I have unplugged the AFM while the car was idling, and it almost stalled and regained itself, So i know the ECU is pulling values from it, but that could still mean the connector is dodgy, will check that out.

I have cleared the CEL's and see if they waiting to see if they come back.

Russ, ASG put my AFM back on as they thought it wasn't the issue. Gonna see if the car comes back with the CEL codes above. If it does i'm gonna put your AFM back in and see if it generates the codes. If it does .. It has to be the wiring or an earthing issue as surely both AFM's couldn't have exactly the same problem.

Waterspray is via Hobbs switch, totally automatic. Tee'd from the inlet manifold. I have pulled the fuse to the watersprayer and the issue remained.

Yes i will do the earths !! :)

pmh 22-01-2009 10:52 AM

check for oil residue on your silicon intake pipe?

gmastah 22-01-2009 11:40 AM

Hi Rich,

It appears to be a common problem with the AFM when you change the Airfilter and it cannot get correct readings, the alternative to fix this would be to upgrade to an ECU to manage it, I had this happen to my both my Evos and STi and getting rid of the AFM fixes it, best to try/test and putting back the std airbox and see if that fixes the flat spots as the AFM starts reading the flow better. Let us know how you go...

RichX 22-01-2009 12:56 PM

Cheers ..

It does still appear to be a classic AFM problem doesn't it, i am keep a very open mind however. As i said above, the 2 codes on the ECU appear to relate to the AFM, Note: No Check Engine Light~! which was weird, just the codes, still good info though.

The car was tuned with an APS CAI on it, but i still have the standard airbox to go back to if i get desperate, which I think i am! Gonna do the earthing kit keep and eye on the logs and yeah will let you know.

I would like to ditch the AFM completely, but going an Autronic and tuned on MAP is an excercise which will cost me a few thousand :)

phizzle 22-01-2009 01:18 PM

How much does a new engine and associated labour/bits m pieces cost?