Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 10:13 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

woobla at standard level
Default Bad WRX day. Pays to be with RAC

Hi guys.

Just sharing with you my bad day, and first major hiccup with the new car (1998 WRX). So started a new job today, as I am on my way home (1 minute of driving) I notice that the check engine light is on. So fearing immediate damage, I pulled over straight away. Turned off car checked all fluids, all was ok.. filled the radiator reservoir with a little de mineralised water to top it up. Start it up again and engine light still there, plus now making a loud whirring noise.

So I check again under the car and I see this dirty brown liquid thinking some type of oil. I instantly panic and think fuck bought a lemon and the engine has a nice big hole in it. So I call Jim Hall (great bloke) who advised to bring it to his shop. I call the RAC and they come out to have a look at it, and he got me to start engine, as he was filling up the radiator we notice that it eats 3L of water and pisses it all out the bottom onto the ground ( I did not notice this before). So looks like it was just either a faulty cooling line or something similar (not the engine block I was thinking). So anyway tow truck is called and I get a lift with the car back to my house. From Midland to Fremantle on the back of a flatbed. Over 40 Km's. Plus tomorrow morning they are going to come around again and take it all the way from Freo up to Jim hall's workshop in Wangara and drop it off for me along with the keys. All for free as part of my 'Classic' package which cost about $178 a year compared to the standard cover which gives you only 1 free 20km tow for about $140.00 a year. The 'classic' cover gives you 2 free tows at the same incident within 100KM. So I have already saved myself a potential about $1000 in tow truck fees alone!!!!!!.

Now if this isn't bloody fantastic service and value I don't know what is !!. So all of you trying to save a few penny's!!! get the classic it is sooo worth it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for listening. I like long winded stories, I hope you do too!.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

lucklily u didnt chuck a woobla....
Old 10-08-2009, 10:54 PM

chee at standard level

when gerrin towed me from bullsbrook to fremantle, it was cheaper for him to come get me than rac with their cover (and free km's.)
Old 11-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Subaru Tech Division

[REXPLOIT] at standard level
Send a message via MSN to [REXPLOIT]

Hey Woobla...

Im an RAC ultimate member, (only because I have 2 cars I switch between often), and I fully agree. Its great piece of mind. (As opposed to when your car dies at 10pm, and towies just say whatever price they want to come get you).

The 2 tow thing is brilliant too. Get it home, then get it transported the next day/week whatever to your factory of choice.

What was the outcome, or not had it seen to yet?

Brent.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-08-2009, 10:08 AM

BALISTC knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chee View Post
when gerrin towed me from bullsbrook to fremantle, it was cheaper for him to come get me than rac with their cover (and free km's.)
x2

I'll only use Gerrin to tow my car.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:36 AM
STI Master

doadrift at standard level

got towed once by RAC when I had my silvia. only had to tow it to ocean reef from just before the ocean reef road exit on the freeway even with my cover it still ended up like $200 and he scraped the fuck out of it pulling it onto the tiltray.
Now I only use Touch of Class because paul never scratches my car not even my rxy that sits pretty much on the floor with a huge bodykit
Old 11-08-2009, 10:37 AM

Strubaru knows their stuff

i would have celebrated by cracking (and drinking) a flaggon o woobla

good to hear you got it sorted though, now if RAC would quit dropping the 'agreed' value of my car every year to keep my premium the same i would be equally happy as you
Old 11-08-2009, 06:50 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

woobla at standard level

A flagoon of woobla is on its way.

So found the problem. Was a cooling line that went to the turbo. It had cracked,melted over time. So just got that replaced and the car serviced while I was at it. So a very happy customer. And I cannot see any scratches, they put it up onto the tray no scratches or anything.

Who is this Gerrin? is he a Perth wrx member? if so I will add him to my phone book aswell.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:55 PM

Elrico at standard level

I agree mate, i have the same package and so far the 2 trucks that have picked me up has had airbags and done an awesome job. Far as im concerned, this will be the 3rd time i need my car toed and as of late, my heads on my car are stuff so ill be claiming it under that. Looks like another free toe.

Personally, if i had gerrins number on me at the time id of called him first, but as for a while now ive been unsure of gerrins times he toes at and last thing i want to do is call someone in bed on a sunday night asking for a lift.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:58 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

woobla at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrico View Post
I agree mate, i have the same package and so far the 2 trucks that have picked me up has had airbags and done an awesome job. Far as im concerned, this will be the 3rd time i need my car toed and as of late, my heads on my car are stuff so ill be claiming it under that. Looks like another free toe.
There is a rac tow driver that did both my tow's (number 698) I think his number was. He looked after it very well, perhaps you can ask for him if you need a good reliable honest person (was in his 50's ex copper). I am not sure if the tow truck drivers that the RAC have are contractors with their own trucks or owned by the company but he treated my car well.

Tags
bad, day, pays, rac, wrx