Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-09-2009, 09:13 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

siaw at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitShine View Post
1) Don't assume anything about the driver (genuine or not)
2) Ride shotgun (specify to potential buyer to not "give the car death" and drive considerately) - silly not to let the buyer test drive it
3) Valid driver's liscence of the potential buyer
4) As a seller, have a friend be with you - to give you a bit more confidence when dealing with other people
5) As for the mechanical check-up it's hard to say. Time is money so to speak. Your time is valuable and to waste it simply staying with your car while the inspection takes place is a bit over the top for me. But if i were you i would specify that it can only be inspected by the RAC (peace of mind)
+1 Point 5 - I normally only request to do the mechanical inspection at the day of settlement.
Old 16-09-2009, 10:36 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Cinaber at standard level
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Let me get this straight.
Are some of you saying that there is a situation where you would let someone drive your car without you being a passenger?
or have I misread some of those posts?

That seems crazy. I would never let ANYONE drive it without being in the front passenger seat whether it be for a test drive or a mechanic check up. If you went to a dealer, you would get the same treatment. Salesman always rides shotgun (unless they are on crack).
It may sound crazy but i went to test drive an 07 sti few weeks back...Drove it a bit with the owner riding shotgun, but then he suddenly asked me to drop him off and said go have a drive by yourself.

Owner didnt even ask for any id. He just took off back into his apartment and off i went...I did take good care of it of course

In saying that, if i was selling...doesnt matter who it is, i would still ride shotgun.

As for mechanical check up i don't think buyers will ask unless they were very certain on buying the car
Old 16-09-2009, 11:18 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Köura at standard level

I don't always ride shotgun when I sell, cars are punchier and more agile when there's 95kg less... Giving the illusion that the car has more pOwEr. Just exercise good judgement and make sure your insurance covers them.

and yeah, mechanical checks are pretty common if your car isn't under warranty.
Old 17-09-2009, 08:06 AM
STI Master

AWDmoke at standard level

I have never ridden shotgun, but have always had some sort of collateral
i.e. more expensive car, family member, cute GF

Same rules apply to me. Before I bought my last car, the very trusting seller just handed me the keys for the test drive, so I handed him my keys.
Old 17-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

nice_jay at standard level

You can usually tell within the first 10 seconds of meeting someone whether they're genuine or not. State in your advert "no time wasters" etc and explain so on the phone too. Good luck with sale.
Old 17-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinaber View Post
It may sound crazy but i went to test drive an 07 sti few weeks back...Drove it a bit with the owner riding shotgun, but then he suddenly asked me to drop him off and said go have a drive by yourself.

Owner didnt even ask for any id. He just took off back into his apartment and off i went...I did take good care of it of course

In saying that, if i was selling...doesnt matter who it is, i would still ride shotgun.

As for mechanical check up i don't think buyers will ask unless they were very certain on buying the car
Interesting.....Did you have any intention of ever buyiing it? And if you didn't buy it, what did you say to the seller at the completion of the test drive?
Old 17-09-2009, 10:30 PM
STI Master

norwest_rumbler at standard level

lol, yeah if you didnt buy it can i get his number :P
Old 17-09-2009, 10:40 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Cinaber at standard level

Had every intention in the world buying it thats for sure! Been looking for an sti for 6 months now. Just cant find one i like.

I took it for a 5min drive...parked it back into his garage and went to offer him 38k cash. It was stock bog 07 sti with just under 40,000 km on it.

Only problem was he wouldnt budge on his advertised price so i told him to give me a call back if he decides to change his mind. That was 3 weeks ago, so im guessing he hasn't...Then again im not sure if his sold it either.

Norwest, its still up on car sales. Cant miss the only black 07 on there
I would of paid what he asked for but im also after an investment property and that made me a little conscious of how much i can spend for an sti

Last edited by Cinaber; 17-09-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 17-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Sounds fair enough then. I thought from the sound of the first post that you were only there for a joyride. If he's still trying to sell it he probably should have followed you up and tried to wear you down. That's what car salesman always do you you. Black cars can be a bastard to sell.
Old 18-09-2009, 10:49 AM
STI Master

AWDmoke at standard level

Wiki's quote of the day seems fitting here.

Quote:
As it is necessary not to invite robbery by supineness, so it is our duty not to suppress tenderness by suspicion; it is better to suffer wrong than to do it, and happier to be sometimes cheated than not to trust.
Samuel Johnston

Tags
selling, tips