Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-09-2009, 05:42 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

woobla at standard level
Default Selling Tips.

Hi guys, as my car is up for sale. I would just like to know a few things.

When someone comes out to view the car.. Upon when do you allow a test drive?. I really want to avoid young kids coming out to just joy ride, or experience a 'rex'. How do you politely say no rides before I know your serious?.

If someone wants it checked out by a mechanic, do you let them take it or take it yourself? I certainly will not be letting them take it. But what is expected?.

Any further tips, hints you can give me would be appreciated.. Heard some horror stories.. Please feel free to post your selling stories as well.

*** P.S I searched for a thread similar, but could not locate. If there is an existing one, apologies and please link it ***
Old 16-09-2009, 05:57 PM
STI Master

Terry.Wrist at standard level

I personally have never had to sell a car privately but if you think they are going to thrash the car either you drive it or tell them that there are no test drives (kind of makes it look look like there might be something wrong with the car though). I'd drive it, provided they look like a genuine buyer anyway.

As for checked out by a mechanic, you take it there, stay with the car the whole time and watch what the bloke does.

I've heard of people not meeting at there house anymore so people won't know where the car is at night........

As I said I haven't been though it but thats what I'd do, someone will chime in with some experience
Old 16-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WhiteRX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRX

When i have sold my cars i always let the person drive it. I usually go with them or take thier license, or something else that id's them.

How do you know that young person who you think is taking it for a joy ride wont buy you car? unless they seemed really dodgy then let them take it.

As for mechanical inspections, me and my partner, both 22 just bought a TL-VR-X and the owner let us take it to check it out no questions asked.

I beleive there are good people out there and a little trust in others can go a long way, but it is up to you
Old 16-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

if they rock up in a car more expensive then yours, then i tend to trust them.
if they turn up in a shitter, i ride shot gun.

Long live the WRC
Old 16-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

I'd never have them meet at my house.

I'd never let them go for a drive in the car themselves unless they leave me their car keys (unless the car is worth sh*t).

If they want to take it to a mechanic, I'll take it there & take it home.

Goes on a case by case basis really, but you can tell straight away if their dodgey or not.
Old 16-09-2009, 07:18 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

oldmanwrx at standard level

Regardless off what they turn up in or what they look like, If they want to test drive your car go with them,get driver's lic details in case they speed past a multinova on test drive,and dont fall for the old trick(my mate's gonner follow me to see if the car drive's straight)had that tried on me a few year's back.
Old 16-09-2009, 08:15 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Tommosaurus at standard level

Let me get this straight.
Are some of you saying that there is a situation where you would let someone drive your car without you being a passenger?
or have I misread some of those posts?

That seems crazy. I would never let ANYONE drive it without being in the front passenger seat whether it be for a test drive or a mechanic check up. If you went to a dealer, you would get the same treatment. Salesman always rides shotgun (unless they are on crack).

On that note, I would never buy a car without being able to test drive it either.
Whatever you do, just make sure they have a valid license. If you have the "unnamed driver" on your insurance policy, it will be void if their license is suspended.
Old 16-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Elrico at standard level

No way, id passenger, friend can sit in the back or whatever. When i had a few offers thats what i did. I let them test drive and i sat in the passenger seat till they were content.
Old 16-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

If they've decided they want a WRX then the 'test drive' should be the final thing to make sure there are no mechanical faults. The price and an agreement to buy the car subject to the test drive should be set before the drive. That way you don't get the old "yeah, well I need to sell my Skyline first" at the completion of the 10 minute thrash of your pride and joy.
Weigh it up on appearance, a young guy/girl with the father in tow are there to buy, 4 teenagers in a Sigma with their hats on backwards are time wasters.
Old 16-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Sir AntiLag

SpitShine at standard level

1) Don't assume anything about the driver (genuine or not)
2) Ride shotgun (specify to potential buyer to not "give the car death" and drive considerately) - silly not to let the buyer test drive it
3) Valid driver's liscence of the potential buyer
4) As a seller, have a friend be with you - to give you a bit more confidence when dealing with other people
5) As for the mechanical check-up it's hard to say. Time is money so to speak. Your time is valuable and to waste it simply staying with your car while the inspection takes place is a bit over the top for me. But if i were you i would specify that it can only be inspected by the RAC (peace of mind)

Tags
selling, tips