Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 10:38 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

nicebus at standard level

Bit more research... on the Subaru website

Quote :

A:The factory does not recommend the fitting of LPG to any Subaru vehicle, as the Subaru engine has only been designed as a petrol engine. The fitting of LPG may introduce operating conditions outside of the engine’s designed use.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Sign me up!
STI Master

grumpyrex at standard level

LPG quality varies with different batches so possibly it could create tuning issues ?
Old 11-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Sign me up!
BLUE TEAM

Rexy03 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicebus View Post
Bit more research... on the Subaru website

Quote :

A:The factory does not recommend the fitting of LPG to any Subaru vehicle, as the Subaru engine has only been designed as a petrol engine. The fitting of LPG may introduce operating conditions outside of the engine’s designed use.
Huh yeah that means they cant fix it so they dont want it fitted to there cars
Old 11-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

CON10DR at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicebus View Post
So you speak from experience ? Facts to back up your assumptions ?
Yeah your right the loss of power from running on LPG seems to be more of a myth nowadays, but there must be some truth in it i mean why dont hardly ever see any race cars running on gas if theres no performance difference ? just a thought
Old 11-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON10DR View Post
i mean why dont hardly ever see any race cars running on gas if theres no performance difference ? just a thought
Few reasons for that.

1. The gas tank is more dangerous in a big smash.
2. Fuel economy isn't as good (so more fuel stops required).
3. Slower to fill up (no good for pit stops).
4. Engines on LPG run hotter, so could bring about reliability issues in race cars.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTC View Post
Few reasons for that.

1. The gas tank is more dangerous in a big smash.
2. Fuel economy isn't as good (so more fuel stops required).
3. Slower to fill up (no good for pit stops).
4. Engines on LPG run hotter, so could bring about reliability issues in race cars.
Depends how the category deals with the differences.

1. The gas disperses better than a liquid. Not saying it will be better but you won't end up with a huge mess on the track.

2. Allow a larger capacity tank to give a similar range to a petrol filled car.

3. V8's this year have restricted the fuel flow ( So they don't rush the driver change and have a safety issue ) it wouldn't be hard to equalise fill times

4. An appropriate cooling system design ( I.E. greater capacity ) will negate this to a large degree. Extra weight may compromise car handling.

Biggest issue is if the category is prepared to allow multiple fuels. Can't see the V8's considering it when they will be receiving a fortune for running the E85
Old 11-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim621 View Post
Nicebus,

many cars run fine on LPG, and it is an awesome fuel if the car is designed to run on it.
ive seen some great power figures when run on oldschool V8's, but never in a wrx.

imho, its not worth the benifits to convert your wrx.
you will need to change everything about your engine - compression ratio, valve seats, injectors, fuel lines/pump/tank etc, retune from someone who knows gas??
What the fuck are you talking about, why would you change any of that, impossible to replace the std fuel tank with an LPG tank because of the shape of the tank going over the tail shaft, LPG doesn't use a fuel pump it has enough pressure in the tank, it runs on copper lines so your original fuel system would just stay as it was.
I've had 2 private cars & 3 taxi's running exclusively on LPG, never had an issue with it, with fuel injection the power loss is marginal & they don't change the injectors or computers on taxi's, the last taxi I sold never used oil and had over a million on the clock on the original block, and the oil was as clean as the day it was put in, cheap plugs would last for over 100k too.
My 60series Landcruiser loved it too, 12mpg on gas & 14mpg on petrol at 1/3 the cost, you can also leave the oil changes for much longer as it stays so clean & it only takes up the room under the parcel shelf so you still have a reasonable amount of space left in the boot, I'd certainly consider it if I was running an aftermarket computer and getting 250-300kl per tank
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.

Last edited by Pimpreza; 11-10-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpreza View Post
What the fuck are you talking about, why would you change any of that, impossible to replace the std fuel tank with an LPG tank because of the shape of the tank going over the tail shaft, LPG doesn't use a fuel pump it has enough pressure in the tank, it runs on copper lines so your original fuel system would just stay as it was.
I've had 2 private cars & 3 taxi's running exclusively on LPG, never had an issue with it, with fuel injection the power loss is marginal & they don't change the injectors or computers on taxi's, the last taxi I sold never used oil and had over a million on the clock on the original block, and the oil was as clean as the day it was put in, cheap plugs would last for over 100k too.
My 60series Landcruiser loved it too, 12mpg on gas & 14mpg on petrol at 1/3 the cost, you can also leave the oil changes for much longer as it stays so clean & it only takes up the room under the parcel shelf so you still have a reasonable amount of space left in the boot, I'd certainly consider it if I was running an aftermarket computer and getting 250-300kl per tank
The new tech systems use sequential injection and replace the original injectors with special gas only injectors.....Removing the factory fuel system all together and requiring a different ecu (or a programmable one)

LPG vapour injectors:

Auto Speed LPG injection article :

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_LPG-V...6/article.html

The usual low tech systems are vacuum metered and use a single conveter/ jet.... They are crap for forced induction.

Oil going black is no indication of it's condition either, it breaks down over time, the blackness is carbon - lpg doesn't leave any to be suspended in the oil.....
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Last edited by Rossco; 11-10-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Tags
lpg