Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Sir AntiLag

subarooboy at standard level
Default The penultimate question: What are the differences between WRX RA and WRX STi RA?

So after sifting through a ton of forums and websites, I have gathered some general info on these variations but as most would no doubt agree with me re: forums- I've found I'm actually not that much closer to the defining answers!

My search is due to currently running an RA long motor and wanting to know the basic specs of engine and heads. When purchased I was told that to the best of the blokes knowledge it was a 97-98 v3/v4 model. It came with a VF22, plain metal manifold (not red), heads contain solid lifters and I was told that the engine was closed/ semi-closed? and heads were apparently one of the highest flowing in the series, but did not contain lumpier STi cams and forged pistons etc.
Not being able to crack it open, and not having any original chassis codes I have so far been unable to find 'closure' on the following:

* As a general question- is an STi RA simply an WRX RA with forge pistons and uprated cams?!!
* What year can I assume mine is- v3 due to VF22, or v4- any tell tale signs?
* What is the standard compression ratios of an RA vs STi RA of same years?
* Confirmation that RA heads are identical to STi RA, just minus STi cams?
* Given the above answer- if heads are same as STi in basic profile (just minus cams), will they fit MY01 EJ207 short motor without detonating/ issues?? (therefore same compression ratio as standard etc).

Any help, links or info will go to towards releiving my annuersim guys!!

Last edited by subarooboy; 22-12-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 23-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

just quickly-
wrx ra = standard wrx with a few RA bushings here and there, heavy centre diff, short ratio box, short shifter and lsd, climate control, airbags, nothing really "sti" about them.

an sti ra has the dccd, r180 rear, cams/heads/crank/etc, ecu, + all the other sti fruit.

a sti ra vlim has all that + radio, climate control, airbags etc

Long live the WRC
Old 23-12-2009, 08:41 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Sik em evo4 at standard level

These sites may help you.

http://www.type-ra.co.uk/vB/

http://www.imprezatypera.com/

http://www.type-ra.co.uk/
Old 23-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sik em evo4 View Post
Thanks guys- been to all of them!
The problem is mostly the conflicting info etc which is why I thought I'd start a thread here that others could poor knowledge into...

Stace, I get that the RA model was basically stripped of all gear so that Rally nutters could go to town (or would throw most of that gear out anyway), but what about engine specs? Most info I've read suggests that aside from cams/ forge pistons etc these babies are still rated pretty highly. Which returns me to one of my original questions... what compression ratios are they, and are they essentially v3/v4 heads "in disguise"?? (bucket/ shim setup etc)
Old 25-12-2009, 09:36 PM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

Joel, if it has a silver manifold on a WRX RA engine it is the same as a WRX Aust engine only with grp N cams, std WRX heads i.e shim over bucket and open deck EJ20, albeit with 9:1 CR. Ref Michael South who built the same motor for Tony Sullens Targa Tassie win. This was the engine number: EJ207DW2KE-14B 970417 GF10 and was an open deck block, same as any phase II crank Aus WRX, Aus V5-6 STi until the Semi Closed EJ207 appeared around 2005(?)

This might also help:

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/Knowledge/Specifications

Look for the extra casting marks as per the picture to identify a fully closed EJ20G block (pre 1997). These came with a Phase I center thrust 48mm crank with piston oil squirters instead of the 52mm BE Bore that phase II cranks now have. The EJ20G can be modified to take either crank giving a better rod selection:

Check Tunas RA engine build blog for some more pictures. You can open up the inspection points and check the underside of the pistons with out cracking the motor and check for forged or cast pistons. Tony Flood did this on my old RA WRX Motor and spotted the cast Pistons. There is a list of engine numbers somewhere that confirms all the info your after. Otherwise have a read here:http://www.iwoc.co.uk/jpstir.html#WRXRA

Last edited by maddog; 26-12-2009 at 09:46 AM. Reason: added info for accuracy
Old 03-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Sir AntiLag

Legend! (I was nearly going to PM you but didn't know if you were still around!?).
Thanks for the info Morgan... extremely helpful stuff!!

If anyone else has any chestnuts, please contribute- there's not enough of these threads, trust me.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:38 PM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

Trust me, there are a few Evo's Drivers in Canberra that also wish I was not "still around"

I was at a dyno shootout last year and saw an EJ20G built combo that the owner said had been bored and wet sleeved to about 2.5L I can't remember the max power level but the total combination was very impressive.

Now if I had only used 14mm head studs...

Tags
differences, penultimate, question, ra, sti, wrx