Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

View Poll Results: Should Power restrictions be imposed on WA "P-Platers"?
Absolutly, if it will save lives! 100 56.18%
No, the systems works fine as it is 10 5.62%
I think there are better ways to save our P-Platers 68 38.20%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-03-2010, 07:28 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

nicebus at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by _daz_ View Post
The restrictions will be a big step in the right direction on one hand, will cause other negative repercussions on the other.

The BIGGEST step in the right direction would have to be far more thorough driver training. Everybody complains about Perth's slow road speed limits, and when it comes to the argument of Australian road speed limits people time & time again bring up the example of Germany, it's autobahns and the speeds which are driven on them. So for this argument, i will raise the driver training which is undergone for a person to get their license in Germany. They undergo quite extensive driving theory before even sitting in the drivers seat of a vehicle, this encompasses basic automobile mechanics, vehicle maintenance, the difference in dynamics of driving a RWD, FWD AWD...and so on. You would be amazed at the number of people in Australia that would have no idea if their car was FWD, AWD or RWD, let alone what difference it makes to how they drive, or even how to maintain a vehicle so it is capable of travelling at high speeds safer. Getting, & KEEPING a license in Germany is not anywhere near as simple as it is in Australia.

So should P platers have a power restriction? YES!!! most definitely, until the driver training program, amongst other things, is improved. because at the moment the only way for a P-plate driver to learn the very basics of driving dynamics is through experience on the roads - as a P-plater-, the only way a P-plater learns how their SS Commodore ute handles at it's extremes is to go out on the roads and try it out, generally with no idea in advance of what could possibly happen, however the same maneuver in a low powered vehicle will have a far better chance of being controlled & survived as it would be more difficult to reach dangerous speeds. I am speaking in terms of those that manage to hit light poles in back streets from trying to drift a corner and lose it, or losing control driving at high speeds on moderate limit roads, not so much simply driving as fast as they possibly can down the freeway which is something every P-plater would have tried at one time or another.

On the flipside, i see a problem with drivers that would go out as soon as they're off their P-plates and buying a performance car and still not really having the necessary experience to control the vehicle safely. On this side of the argument all that is going to be achieved is the rate of teenage road deaths will decrease,, with a steady rise in the road toll of those in their early 20's.

I personally have lost quite a few friends to the roads, and this has in turn given me quite a deep respect for cars, the roads and driving in general. Yes i drive a high powered car now, but my first car was a Mitsubishi Lancer GX with a kick arse sound system, then i owned a camper van when i travelled Oz for a year or so, then i owned a FWD EJ22 Subaru Liberty (which gained itself quite a reputation amongst certain circles). I also had quite a lot more experience than most, before i was anywhere near old enough to get my license, when it came to extreme driving as i used to navigate for my dad on rallies and rode shotgun many times during drift practice with mates. Yes at times i have been known to do some things on the roads which may be deemed by some as stupid, but these are calculated risks, which have the appropriate factors taken into consideration beforehand, and one thing i have learned from losing people to the roads is to always drive within my limits on the roads, the track is the place to push those boundaries. When i see young kids at work on P-plates buying Ford XR6 Turbo's, i cringe, because they see me as a young person driving a performance vehicle and naturally they want to do the same, they forget that i am still 5-6 years older, and when i was their age was happy to cruise round with the sub thumping...and i know the only thing i can do is to try and pass on my experiences and urge them to attend driver training courses and even skidpan days at the AHG/RAC track to really learn their car, coz i'm tired of seeing young kids ending up wrapped round a pole because our government couldn't be bothered educating them more thoroughly about what getting behind the wheel of a vehicle really entails.

_daz_

Well put, couldn't agree more except your closing comment

"because our government couldn't be bothered educating them more thoroughly about what getting behind the wheel of a vehicle really entails."

Not in to this always blame someone else for society's ills.

Maybe parents should take a little more responsibilty.
Old 19-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Sign me up!
82 of 200

_daz_ at standard level

Yes, parents should...but the fact is at the end of the day, they don't always. That is why it shouldn't be possible for parents to fast track their child getting a license. Yes, those parents who fast track their child, and that child ends up in a fatal accident, would be kicking themselves...but by then it's too late. If this wasn't possible in the first place due to restrictions & guidelines put in place by the government ie must attend x hours of whatever courses at the licensing centre where they cannot possibly fudge attendance, wouldn't this be a better way???

Another good example would be when i was hunting around at car yards in Victoria Park, a father came in with his young son and told the salesman he wanted to buy his son a turbocharged Skyline, the salesman looked at him and asked him if he was sure about that. The father simply said "yes, that's what he's been asking for ever since he began getting his license". The salesman then told the father to get in the nearest Skyline (R32 if i remember correctly) and took him for a drive in it, when they pulled back into the driveway a few minutes later the father got out and told his son there was no way in the world he would be having a car like that as a first car. Now how many parents out there would be in the same position? Proud as punch their child has gotten their license, and wanting to spoil them by buying them whatever car they wanted, and having no idea about the cars whatsoever. i know my dad who used to race cars drove my brothers modified Soarer and was quite astounded at the power of it, and actually told me he was apprehensive about having to drive it again on the road, he, like most/all parents, is from the old skool where bigger engine meant bigger power. Now imagine if that salesman hadn't done what he did, and just sold them a turbocharged Skyline so he could make his commission for the night, like most salesman would have done?

That wasn't a U-turn! It was two consecutive right hand turns.

Last edited by _daz_; 19-03-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 19-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicebus View Post
Since time began young males will find a way of killing themselves. Alas, now it also includes females.
That's fine, they can go write themselves off. Couldn't care less. It's the taking of someone else's life I have trouble with (passenger/s, innocent third party, etc). You don't just mark those deaths down as "boys will be boys" or "oh well, their number was up" .
Old 19-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Flat Four Father

Quote:
a few minutes later the father got out and told his son there was no way in the world he would be having a car like that as a first car.
My old man did that to me when I was looking at a 1.8L turbo Silvia as a first car. He went to inspect it and take it for a test drive without me, came home later that day and said there was no way in hell I would be driving a turbo car first up. Ended up with my Grandfather's old '87 Magna for a while
Old 19-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Sign me up!
82 of 200

_daz_ at standard level

^^ i bet at the time you were hating your dad for that, but now you can probably appreciate where he was coming from

That wasn't a U-turn! It was two consecutive right hand turns.
Old 19-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Flat Four Father

Quote:
^^ i bet at the time you were hating your dad for that, but now you can probably appreciate where he was coming from
After a bit of thought I actually agreed with him. I also wasn't too keen on having a car loan at such a young age either.
Old 22-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

I don't know if this has been posted yet but http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/33079-anyone-good-buffing-out-scratch.html is a prime example of why inexperienced hands should not get hold of too powerful a car.
Old 24-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Scoobie Noobie

boosted_kid at standard level

its a yes and no thing, more driver education, less restrictions as well. changing the car a p plater drives is a minimal restriction. i have had p platers having a go at me in twin carbie civics and lancers because they obviously think its fast and even though i am quicker i tend not to race/intise them in any way. thats why at the end of the day it comes down to common sense, knowledge and responsibility. no one is perfect but also look at how many of us on this forum and other forums can handle high powered cars, we didnt all get 300+bhp cars as our first.....as much as the cars power has a role, its all down to driver education and common sense.

Tags
laws, p plate, perth, plate, power, restrictions