Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-07-2010, 01:34 AM
STI Master

mrclubspecevo4 at standard level
Default What would you do if you were in charge of Subaru Tuning Australia?

Just finished reading an article in the new Tarmac Magazine about TMR tuned Evolution X's. It has got ne thinking.

If for agruements sake, Subaru Tuning Australia existed (let's think of it as a rival to TMR) what sort of tuning packages would you offer to the public, full factory warranty and sold through the Subaru dealerships?

Mine would look something like this:

Model one: WRX as per stock specs

Model two: ClubSpec version. This is where the tuning comes in as the ClubSpec name means more to me than just a limited colour, leather seats and sunroof (nothing too clubby about it really, more luxury)
Package would include: Full exhaust system, ecu reflash/remap, uprated brake pads and recalibrated springs (suspension).

Model three: Tuned by STi. As above but with addition of STi spec brakes (rotors and calipers), lightweight wheels and r-spec tyres, uprated swaybars and optional bolt-in half cage/fire extinguisher/harnesses

Model four: STi as per stock specs

Model five: Sti Spec R (now getting serious and remember, this would be factory warranty and need to meet ADR and Tarmac rules)
As per STi with the addition of Spec C type brake system (larger rotors and calipers), lightweight wheels and r-spec tyres, coilover suspension, full exhaust, MoTeC M800 plug in ecu and adjustable diff controller, bolt in cage, harnesses and extinguishers

I think that the models above suit the 'ClubSpec', 'Tuned By STi' and 'Spec R' better than the current limited run models that are aimed more at luxury than what most of us end up using our cars for; performance.

I think a move in this direction would help bring Subaru back to the front of the que when people are choosing a drive to work during the week and play-thing on the weekend.

Your thoughts?
Old 16-07-2010, 01:54 AM
Sign me up!
IMPREZA STi S204

JDM_STYLE at standard level

Subaru Motorsport has similar race/rally options already, all
they need to do is make them road legal however it will never
happen as Subaru is too conservative now.

221.7KW-ATW 498.5NM MMS ROLLER DYNO & BUILT BY STi NINJAS, BUILD #318/600

EBISU SUBARU, SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO
Old 16-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

I'd love to see a factory based tuning option.

But remember TMR are just another tuning shop like MMS, RT etc. Only if you buy the Bathurst Edition X through a dealer do you get a warranty. If you buy the TMR add-ons / tunes yourself - bai bai warranty.
Old 16-07-2010, 09:15 AM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

Given the stringent regulations regarding insurance, liability, let alone reliability for the vast majority. For the money being paid for what are essentially mass produced cars. We're lucky to get what we do as it is.
Old 16-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

The first thing I would do is fire Phil Rogers. He is the one in charge of Subaru Motorsport and is the absolute anti christ for promotoing Subaru Motorsport in this country. His attitude is absolutely unbelievable. Nearly at the point where I write a letter the Nick Senior and tell him what a smacktard this guy is and it is clearly time to carry out a performance reivew and what criteria he should be measured against. I would of thought leaving punter with no other option than to sell the dak dak and buy an evo becuase of sheer incompetence was not what they were looking for.

Now I have that off my chest my understanding is that Subaru have recently bought in 12 new spec c stis. They would have to match ralliart pricing which is $40k + gst. Brand new and obviously b reg only. Problem is that the horse has bolted. The amount of evo x's out there vs new shape sti that are competing is 10 to 1. All of the development is going to go into the evo. With the exception of MMS / Dean Herridge no one has really made either the new STi or the Evo competitive at Targa Tas. I think people are in a bit of a quandry and sitting on their hands to see what they do with the evo XI.

Brendon
Old 16-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclubspecevo4 View Post
Just finished reading an article in the new Tarmac Magazine about TMR tuned Evolution X's. It has got ne thinking.

If for agruements sake, Subaru Tuning Australia existed (let's think of it as a rival to TMR) what sort of tuning packages would you offer to the public, full factory warranty and sold through the Subaru dealerships?

Mine would look something like this:

Model one: WRX as per stock specs

Model two: ClubSpec version. This is where the tuning comes in as the ClubSpec name means more to me than just a limited colour, leather seats and sunroof (nothing too clubby about it really, more luxury)
Package would include: Full exhaust system, ecu reflash/remap, uprated brake pads and recalibrated springs (suspension).

Model three: Tuned by STi. As above but with addition of STi spec brakes (rotors and calipers), lightweight wheels and r-spec tyres, uprated swaybars and optional bolt-in half cage/fire extinguisher/harnesses

Model four: STi as per stock specs

Model five: Sti Spec R (now getting serious and remember, this would be factory warranty and need to meet ADR and Tarmac rules)
As per STi with the addition of Spec C type brake system (larger rotors and calipers), lightweight wheels and r-spec tyres, coilover suspension, full exhaust, MoTeC M800 plug in ecu and adjustable diff controller, bolt in cage, harnesses and extinguishers

I think that the models above suit the 'ClubSpec', 'Tuned By STi' and 'Spec R' better than the current limited run models that are aimed more at luxury than what most of us end up using our cars for; performance.

I think a move in this direction would help bring Subaru back to the front of the que when people are choosing a drive to work during the week and play-thing on the weekend.

Your thoughts?
You can forget the wrx at any level. Dont forget it costs the same to strip / cage / harness / tune regardless of the car you put it in. ie. if you are going to spend $100k plus on a new car why would you have such a massive compromise with the WRX when the difference in new price is probably about $10k.

Also remember Subaru did do a deal with PBMS to build and sell some my07's through Subaru Aust. Basically a spec C, proflex suspension, cage, motec. From memory they wanted something comparable to a burger with the lot from TMR so somewhere in the $180k region. Priced themselves out of the ballpark with a car that very clearly was not as capable as an evo 9.

Not sticking up for subaru but they can not warrant a competition car. At the end of the day we are doing something with them that they were never designed to do. Limiter launches on sticky tarmac on r spec tyres is going to break things. end of story. Porsche will warrant their GT3 etc but you are paying $300k entry fee whereas for $40k subaru simply dont have the fat in the deal to warrant anything.

Brendon
Old 16-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

I would probably only run 2 models - an upgraded WRX & upgraded STi, minor body differences, maybe different gearbox/diff ratios, option of no stereo/AC etc.
Old 16-07-2010, 11:30 AM
STI Master

fatboy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabus View Post
The first thing I would do is fire Phil Rogers. He is the one in charge of Subaru Motorsport and is the absolute anti christ for promotoing Subaru Motorsport in this country. His attitude is absolutely unbelievable. Nearly at the point where I write a letter the Nick Senior and tell him what a smacktard this guy is and it is clearly time to carry out a performance reivew and what criteria he should be measured against. I would of thought leaving punter with no other option than to sell the dak dak and buy an evo becuase of sheer incompetence was not what they were looking for.

Now I have that off my chest my understanding is that Subaru have recently bought in 12 new spec c stis. They would have to match ralliart pricing which is $40k + gst. Brand new and obviously b reg only. Problem is that the horse has bolted. The amount of evo x's out there vs new shape sti that are competing is 10 to 1. All of the development is going to go into the evo. With the exception of MMS / Dean Herridge no one has really made either the new STi or the Evo competitive at Targa Tas. I think people are in a bit of a quandry and sitting on their hands to see what they do with the evo XI.

Brendon
Spot on about the retard at Subaru Motorsport, have had nothing but dramas with him over the years!

The evo's are $49k plus gst but they are a stock standard car and ralliart love to charge big bucks for things like cages (shit even thier bolt in is $4400!)

Subaru had ready to race packages starting from $58k and with that you got a full pbms cage seats harnesses etc in a brand new spec c! upto full group n spec of $160k

I wanted one of these, tried to get one but they were sold out!

For $58k plus a computer and proflex there is no better buying! shame they are gone!
Old 16-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Mister Two at standard level

If I were in charge. easy...

Import genuine 2.0L Twinscroll Spec Cs and RA and R205 cars with full road rego. Also the Legacy Gen5 STI (s403 ? - assuming it gets a proper 6 speed and hand brake and not the ghey 5speed with a 6th gear with cable shift and electronic hand brake) and Forester STi

Make available at reasonable prices all the parts in the STI motorsports catalog to be installed on Vanilla STIs and WRX without affecting warranty.

Last edited by Mister Two; 16-07-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 18-07-2010, 12:39 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

col5555 at standard level

I was told today that a bog stock Mazda 3 comes with a six speed now and thats marketed as a shopping trolley for mums and dads with a bit of zoom zoom.

Tags
australia, charge, subaru, tuning