Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 08:54 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

club$pec at standard level
Default help!? screw you brant alarm whats the trick?

I had my 97 wrx for years. loved her! you could even take the key out while she was still running and let her warm up with the doors locked. long story short she had to go and i've upgraded to a minted 2006. I love everything about my new toy. Now i'm positive i'm not the first to say..... every thing except this stupid brant alarm!!!! it is a brant alarm right? the key pad thing?
You know it wouldnt bother me if it worked properly.

My question is what is the secrete? Whats the trick that I dont understand?

I thought that after a few weeks of trial and error I would have worked it out by now. but no!

So I unlock the doors.... get in..... enter the code and 50%of the time it works, 50% it goes off! its loud as crap inside the car and you have to close all the doors, lock then unlock then it stops and you dont even have to put in the code again to start the car.....

ok.... so i've tried with all doors shut, touch nothing (no clutch, gear stick) then the code.... still its 70% all good / 30% pain in ears....

i've tried in the car, doors closed, clutch in..... still 70/30...

whats the story? please help. it must be something simple. whats the trick?

i'm about to yank the bastard out. its not like my insurance is any cheaper any ways.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Scoobie Noobie

danfresh at standard level

Is your alarm on auto-arm or manual-arm? If it is set to manual mode, and you do not manually re-arm it after you park up, you may in fact be arming it as you get in to start the car, which can create all sorts of issues.

The only elements that affect the alarm are the drivers seatbelt and the doors/boot. Clutch, gears etc. you don't need to worry about.

I believe the brant alarm manual is stickied in one of the forums.

Could be worth having a read through and making sure you have it all set up correctly before trying to diagnose a problem that may not be there..
Old 04-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Sign me up!
IMPREZA STi S204

JDM_STYLE at standard level

Brant is shit fullstop!! Replace it with an autowatch keypad
system!!!!

Macey "bumpstop" will do you a good deal on them.

221.7KW-ATW 498.5NM MMS ROLLER DYNO & BUILT BY STi NINJAS, BUILD #318/600

EBISU SUBARU, SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO
Old 04-08-2010, 09:31 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

club$pec at standard level

So after a bit more searching around for the Brant manual I have found nothing but complaints about the brant system.
Lots of people pulling them out and putting in 555's etc. But i'm more than happy to have no key pad.
My car has data dot and a good old fashion key.
I'm not worried about getting jacked here in Perth to be honest.
I'm sure its on auto arm cos after leaving the car for a while when i get in the car again it does flash and beep at me.
Flashes all the time when not in the car and she's locked, then after unlocking and sitting down the pad lights up all the numbers and doesn't flash.
Then i start to type in the code and 30% of the time by number 3 the alarm goes off.

Does anyone have a link hand to the brant manual? if not dont worry i'll find it tomorrow. Should really be in the subi manual but no.....
Old 04-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Sign me up!
82 of 200

_daz_ at standard level

Brant = EPIC FAIL

trust me mate, forget about the Brant altogether, don't waste money trying to fix it, just replace it

i am speaking from experience and many many arguments and hassles dealing with both Subaru and Brant direct trying to rectify Brant related drama's ie car going into lockdown whilst driving @ 70kph on a busy road

The Brant is an excellent system when it's working, but once they start playing up/failing best to just get rid of it and get something better ie AutoWatch as Wayne suggested

That wasn't a U-turn! It was two consecutive right hand turns.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by _daz_ View Post
The Brant is an excellent system when it's working,
I reckon even when they're working perfectly they are still a pain in the arse.
I've had the stupid thing cut the engine on Albany Highway because I got out of the car to check the letterbox and it thought I'd been jacked.

I've lost count of how many times people say to me "you won't need the code, I've disabled it" only to find that the moment you disconnect the battery all bets are off and the siren starts wailing.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Well I've had two STI's over the past 9 years, both with Brants in them and have never had a problem...first thing I did was to read the manual and understand how everything works....it's not that difficult. Having had cars stolen in the past, my opinion is that any device which will stop most thieves getting the car started in the first place (ie keypad code) is worth its weight in gold and far outweighs the slight inconvenience of having to punch in 4 numbers. However, these days many people seem to be too lazy to go through that process and my only words to them are "just wait until you have a car stolen and have to go through the associated anguish, financial loss and inconvenience".
Data dots, vehicle tracking systems and any other secondary anti theft devices are, in my opinion, useless since they allow a thief to remove the car and at the very least part it out or just drive it into the ground...

My 2 cents worth...
Old 05-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

I found the Brant fine. As Steve said, just need to RTFM and you're set.

I see where Doug comes from though... Too many people think its the PIN code for you bank. My favourite is when someone leaves their car with you whilst they are on holiday, instruct you to drive it every day, then leave it on valet mode as they don't trust you with the PIN code... Sigh.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

I had a brant on my STI, obviously, and I never had a single issue with it. I had 'anti-hijack' turned off, so I could get in and out of the car as I pleased. But everything else was active. Altho, you wouldn't be the first to say you're having problems. I know of a couple of people who have had brant cut their cars out, which causes the steering to lock, and the brakes to disappear, some of them at 110 on country highways... Shit your self moments there!
Old 05-08-2010, 09:21 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Tommosaurus at standard level

Biggest bucket of shit. Very glad to have the Autowatch system installed.

That Brant just caused me all sorts of headaches. Would randomly cut off the engine midway through driving, and would also cause surging. Sometimes the car would start, sometimes it decided to stay put. Not to mention similar situations listed by the OP where the alarm would go off for no apparent reason.
And yes I read the manual, many times. I just had a faulty unit, and I can tell you I'm not the only one.
It was roughly the same price to get my brant fixed as it was to get the autowatch system fully installed. No brainer.

Tags
alarm, brant, screw, trick