Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 06:08 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Bigboosst is unrated
Default Popped Engine.. Yay.

So, story goes as such-

Im 19, got car finance and purchased a 01 WRX turbo manual from a dealer, 2 months later my engine pops. Big end bearing/conrods or something the mechanic said, and quoted 1000$ to strip it to find out.

Car doesnt have any exntended warranty, apart from AWN's (up to 1000$ engine warranty) So i figure under the implied warranty that the dealership should have to fix this.

(Car's running, just extremely loud knock/rattle-- before you ask, no i haven't thrashed it. It's rev limited to 5k, =S)

I've apporached them and informed them of the situation, and naturally they want something in writing, so im trying to find how to best approach the situation. Should i try get an RAC mechanic to come out and give an inspection report on what he believes it most probably is? As otherwise im 1000$ out of pocket just for a strip down, when the dealer may even try to deny responsibility...

Any idea's are greatly appreciated.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:31 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Dr_Rock at standard level

The car should have a 3 month statutory warranty. You should do nothing other than return the car to the dealer at your expense. They are legally obligated to repair the car if it is as you say it is.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:36 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Bigboosst is unrated

The statutory warranty is only implied should the car not have more then 180k, the fuckers drove it to 181k before sale. Therefor the stat warranty doesnt imply, the AWN extended warranty covers 1/5th the cost and the implied warranty is generally a court enforced matter before they usually comply, or so i've heard.

As far as they are concerned, its up to me to get a report of the engine ect any way shape or form and give it to them asap, so he can decide wether he wants to help or be a jew. Heard alot of dodgy things about this car yard, since this hassle.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

If it had over 180,000 when you bought it then there is no 3 month stat warranty as you say. However, if they are asking for a report it sounds like they might at least do something for you...I would suggest you take it to Maximum Motorsport in Malaga and get them to jot something down including an estimate of repair cost. RAC don't do mech checks any more btw.
What is the AWN extended warranty...did you pay extra for that?
Also why do you say the car is rev limited to 5000 rpm?... there is no such revlimit at that rpm...it would be more like 6.5 - 7000 ...
Old 11-11-2010, 08:43 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Bigboosst is unrated

Yes, no stat warranty. But on any car sold from a dealership over the value of 4,000$ For three months there is a non verbal/written "Implied" (hence the name) Warranty.

Which states, if the vehical is of unmerchantable sale and does not perform as intended to drive from point A-B safely, for a reasonable amount of time after sale, then the purchases is entitled to a full refund, repair or replacement vehicle. (Was speaking to consumer affairs, and they too confirmed this. It's actually on there website, go figure.)

The rev limit is possibly 6.5-7000, 5k rpm limiter was just from the top of my head, it doesnt come close to redline =S i guess that would better describe it.

I've just had it towed to the AWN warranty repairers (they quoted 1000$ to strip engine, before they even gave me a report ect) So, im quite frankly not willing to pay 1000$ just to take the report to the dealer, for him to play silly bastards with me.

The mechanic (AWN repairer, wouldnt give me an estimate or even what he thought it might be in writing without stripping the block)

No RAC mech checks? Lame. So i gotta pay for another towing fee (3rd in 2 days....) to get to maximum motorsport.. Will they give me in writing (WITHOUT STRIPPING THE ENGINE) What they believe it is, and how much to repair? the last mechanic swore it was big end, and believes its more then likely the metal flakes would have stuffed everything.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

engine going at 181000k's, thats unlucky! is the car unmodded?
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 11-11-2010, 08:54 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Bigboosst is unrated

Completely stock as a rock, two female owners since new AND full service history! WTF! hahaha... yeah, found another block for 1k complete, perfectly running. Think thats my best bet.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Yes MMS can tell you what is wrond and how much it will roughly cost without taking the motor out. I would do that first and see if the dealership will pay.

Sorry to hear this BTW.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

So when you rev the car out it stops at 5,000 rpm? If so, methinks thar be an ecu/tune in there.

What other mods are on the car and have you performed any mods/tuning since purchasing?

Before towing the car places, call up the workshop and ask what they will do. Since you are essentially wasting the time of the workshop asking them to put something in writing when they will be getting no work out of the job, they might not be too interested in that. Most workshops will be able to tell you its 99% a big end gone, but putting that in writing without stripping down would be hard. Once the engine is stripped, getting the dealership to look at warranty would be hard too, I would think.

I would recommend a mobile Subaru mechanic like Jim from Blue Star to avoid a towing fee again.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:15 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Bigboosst is unrated

I've performed no mods, like i said she's a stocker! No tune as far as im aware, but hey, very well could be. Like i said, the dealership wont take it for there own inspection ect and are making me do the run around.

Im at a loss for what to do, as any money i spend on getting the report/stripping it only to have the dealer deny liability, would result in the car being off the road for far too long, and even possibly a court case. Which is no good for anyone, especially when i just want it fixed as cheap and easily as possible.

Would a mobile subaru mechanic be able to give me in writing without stripping the job, so i could approach the dealership with the job in writing before i have to choose wether or not to strip and go ahead, or spend my money on the new engine myself...

Just really stuck here guys, any and all input is needed and appreciated! Cheers fella's!

Tags
engine, popped, yay