Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Sign me up!
STI Master

phoenix at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman View Post
You need to remember that the A050 and A048 fill different roles in the R Spec market.

If it's your first set of R Specs buy something like the R888 of 048 so you'll get some life out of them and you can start to understand them.

If you're experienced and want to get the quicker tyres and are only involved in shorter events go for the 050 or the DZ03 dunlop.
This is not my first set of R specs but have only used the RE55 before. Wanted to try the 888 for reasons explained in my earlier post.

I understand that the A050 is a better tyre grip wise than the A048 out of the gate. I am just concerned now that I have been advised away from a tyre (Toyo 888) and into a tyre that probably isnt as good overall from what has been said here. I know it is all a trade off and quicker would be good but cant afford a tyre that is only going to last 5 mins(grippier-more wear). Its just that when someone says they are "crap" it makes you sit up and take notice and compared to the 050 they may well be but the initial comparison was to the 888.

Still interested if anyone has any more comments about the shelf life of these tyres and thanks for the comments/info so far, much appreciated.
Old 23-11-2010, 07:23 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

98wrxevo2 at standard level

I have used most R spec tyres over the last few years.

We just did 2 hard days of driving with 225km of special stages on AO50 medium tyres and they would have done another 4 days.

They are faster and have more grip than all but Dunlop but do last a lot longer than a medium Dunlop.

I have a set of 888 that are so bad(no grip) I really wasted my money, they will last for ever but make the car handle so bad I will not use them.

If it was me I would get the AO50 medium and if you swap them from back to front and side to side at times you will get them to last for longer than you think.

You could get a tyre like AO48 or 888 but when you run out of grip and run off the track as a result you may think otherwise.

The Bridgestone is a good tyre with good grip that does last so that could be another option.

Michael
Old 23-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98wrxevo2 View Post
I have used most R spec tyres over the last few years.

We just did 2 hard days of driving with 225km of special stages on AO50 medium tyres and they would have done another 4 days.

They are faster and have more grip than all but Dunlop but do last a lot longer than a medium Dunlop.

I have a set of 888 that are so bad(no grip) I really wasted my money, they will last for ever but make the car handle so bad I will not use them.

If it was me I would get the AO50 medium and if you swap them from back to front and side to side at times you will get them to last for longer than you think.

You could get a tyre like AO48 or 888 but when you run out of grip and run off the track as a result you may think otherwise.

The Bridgestone is a good tyre with good grip that does last so that could be another option.

Michael
^^ listen to this man....

Tags
life, shelf, spec, tyre