Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Flat Four Father

mitchwnz knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to mitchwnz Send a message via Skype™ to mitchwnz

I don't think the 2012 STI will come out for a while yet... I just don't see the point, they really only just released the 2011 varient? Either way I'm getting the new one when it comes out so the longer I wait the less I will need to pay for it on finance.
Old 17-05-2011, 07:02 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

spider at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchwnz View Post
I don't think the 2012 STI will come out for a while yet... I just don't see the point, they really only just released the 2011 varient? Either way I'm getting the new one when it comes out so the longer I wait the less I will need to pay for it on finance.
So you're not keen on buying the MY11 then? What if the new one is not what you're after?

Anyway, does anyone know what the MY11 Sti's 0-100 dash is?
Most reviews I've read says it does it in 5.2 seconds (even red book says 5.2) but if you look in the Subaru Australia website, it says it does it in 4.9 seconds..doesn't that sound too fast for the Sti?
Old 17-05-2011, 07:06 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

andrewp at standard level

i've got last years sti (one of the last ones before the update and sedans came in) and the 0-100 quoted was the same. i haven't timed it but 4.9 sec surely isn't gonna happen with me behind the wheel
Old 19-05-2011, 09:32 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

spider at standard level

So I took the BMW 135i for a test drive last night…first impression – it was one hell of an ugly car! It reminded me of my current WRX (but nicer of course!)….but I must admit, the front looked pretty nice..it was just ugly from the side and rear…anyway, things changed when I stepped inside the car….I was definitely impressed with it (only because many reviews were saying that luxury and styling on the 135i took a back seat to power and pace..so I was expecting the worst!)….but it wasn’t bad at all.

There is a slot in which you slide the key into and then a start button to get the engine going…in idle, it sounded a lot nicer than the Sti….the note on a 6 cylinder car sounds so sweet!!

I chose to test drive one with DCT (I think it stands for double clutch transmission?) instead of the 6 speed manual because they are actually quicker than the manuals and my God, this thing flies!!!!! It’s an absolute monster to drive…the maximum torque (400Nm) kicks in at just 1300rpm all the way to 5000rpm…and maximum power (225kw) can be reached at only 5800rpm….so u can definitely feel it!! The car had so much power in every gear and the engine screams at you to go faster and faster and faster…it was a truly satisfying experience..I can only dream how wonderful it would feel to drive an M3!!!!

BMW claims it can do 0-100 in 5.2 seconds..but after driving my wrx around for over a year and test driving the Sti the other day, I can bet my life on it that 5.2 seconds for the 135i is an extremely conservative number.

I am really confused now…I still love the Sti but have fallen in love with the Beemer. I love the Sti for its looks, power and handling but love the technology of the 135i (and of course its sheer power too)…I hate the interior of the Sti but really don’t mind the Beemer’s interior..I just don’t like the shape of the Beemer though!!!

At the end of the day, I am not looking at tracking the car at all..its purely for daily driving…the Beemer will cost me $10k more than the Sti…and I plan to keep my next car for a long time... I really don’t know which one to get! I think if the Sti drove as well as the Beemer did, I would get the Sti straight away…but seriously, you guys will know what I mean if you ever drove the 135i..its just such an awesome car to drive!

Anyway, sorry for another long post but I’m really confused..which one would you guys get if you were in my situation? Again, I know this is a WRX forum but please keep an open mind on this one.

Thanks again
Scott
Old 19-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

Which one will depreciate faster?
Old 19-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Subaru Tech Division

pete gopal at standard level

Get the Mitsi Sigma 2.4L

New toy has arrived, 1/4 mile in 11.2 sec and only 114hp!
Old 19-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

I have driven the 135i and i agree with you! unbelievable cars! Very fast.

I would go the BMW if it was me but in manual i recon. The coupe version in White.

$10k doesnt sound like a lot to you so get it.
Old 19-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Are you saying a brand new DCT 135i for ~$70k?

I was damn close to buying a 135i over the Evo X, but the price back then was waay too high when 'standard' options were included.
Old 19-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Sign me up!
///M3

Jimmy S at standard level

Such different cars IMO!?... a Euro twin turbo 6 cylinder RWD BMW coupe that is essentially a 2 seater vs 2 rally-bred Jap 4 cylinder turbo AWD 4dr sedan's? I can understand your confusion between the STi and Evo... but the BMW is a completely different animal IMO?

I would think that your personal situation may dictate which way you should go between the 2 different styles... rather than purely which is the better car?

As John mentioned though, the options on the 135i really push up the price a lot... and I wouldn't be getting one without at least the brake and wheel upgrade... which is another $10k on top of the already $10k more price tag?

If I had the choice, in my situation... I'd be going for the STi 6spd sedan in white... but that's me!

'04 E46 S/C M3 Coupe
Old 19-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Ambitious but Rubbish...

Saint_23 is a guruSaint_23 is a guru

Also consider the differences between the two such as...

Depreciation
Insurance Cost
Servicing
Cost of spare parts

Tags
just buy that fakin car!!, my11, sti