Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Subaru Tech Division

stinga at standard level

EDIT: sorry mate, just noticed you have a 99 so no go....
A REXNEt vendor has new UTECs for $1145, good price.

Jeez 4K for tuning MoTec, you gotta be shittin me?

Last edited by stinga; 30-03-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Old 30-03-2006, 03:00 PM
STI Master

methd at standard level
Send a message via MSN to methd

u DO get the motec with it

4k motec inc tune, plus $500 to unlock advanced features. might need other stuff done, ends up costing a bit more if anything goes wrong.

i thought mine would be 4.5k wiwo, ended up being 6k.
Old 30-03-2006, 08:59 PM
Sir AntiLag

swan-dogg at standard level

tuna, that table u posted at the top of page six is excillent, and just what i needed and i as well as many others will be refering bak to it

i am aware that all the workshops will be bias towards their own beliefs in their products ect

i am not goign for perths best gc8 but rather something a little better than stock i don't intend to put any more mods than the three basics and something else to manage them i don't have any knowledge of rough power figures cars with similar mods achive and through what means but if someone has the same/similar mods done and know what figures u are produceing plz post em up to help me get an idea.... i'm not sure what i wld need from an ecu mod to make use of the rest of the mods however (correct me if i'm wrong) timing wldn't be dangerously out with these?? so maybe an accesory that will just correct air fuel ratios??
Old 31-03-2006, 06:34 AM
Gonadman2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint
It is possible to put a larger Diameter AFM in and they arn't that expensive. They don't die every week.

Plenty of 400+ KW GTR's kicking around perth running AFM's.

Hang on all of the 10 second lines are.

Regardless Power FC is still an option with lots of tuning knowledge.
I had 4 MAF meter's die within a six month period last year in my MY00 WRX. I had the standard subaru paper filter, no intake mods and nobody could figure out why they were failing. In the end I had an Autronic installed and tuned and haven't looked back.

Also I would like to know where you can get an Autronic installed for $2k? The retail price on a PNP SMC is $2400 from memory, then the cost of installation and tuning. I would hate to think of the quality of the workmanship and tune if they are doing it at that price.

Also when comparing a PowerFC to an Autronic (not sure about the link) you have to remember that the Autronic comes with full closed loop boost control. To get the level of control of boost with the PowerFC you have to add an AVC-r to the install as well. IMO this is a big plus and can really bring the two closer together on spec, and price. Then the decision is easy. Not to mention the data logging capabilities of the Autronic, Autotune and closed loop fueling. Autotune will take the quality of the tune out of the hands of the tuner, in most respects and generally allow a better quality tune. Whereas the PowerFC is batch tuned, and if not enough time is spent on all of the load sites, then poor driveability is usually the result even if you have a good power figure.

In reference to the original question I would suggest something like a Unichip or ECUtek 3 (as they are dyno tuned) for the mods that were listed. Although it really depends on what you are going to do with the car. Are they going to be the only mods that you perform? If you decide to go with larger injectors and a larger turbo (very likely) then the money that you have already spent on the 'cheaper' ECU's will probably be wasted as they won't be able to run the new equipment effectively.
Old 31-03-2006, 10:34 AM
STI Master

Bakks at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver
There several people around perth who can tune power FC's, how ever, id only really recoemdn the wok, and x-speed to do the tune, ant has done countless tunes on PFC's, and is very capable and thorough, much the same as the guys at speedworks..

AFM's can also be worked around, pretty certain you'd be able to slap a 300 zed AFM into the rex if you had a PFC, they're good for 500+hp, so more than enough for most rex's
Mates just recently fitted Z32 + PFC to his 00. Tuned by Cypher - no issues that I'm aware of. He got sick of going through the shitty standard AFM's.
Old 31-03-2006, 11:22 AM
d_generate

Quote:
Originally Posted by [PFFT]
u DO get the motec with it

4k motec inc tune, plus $500 to unlock advanced features. might need other stuff done, ends up costing a bit more if anything goes wrong.

i thought mine would be 4.5k wiwo, ended up being 6k.
OK so you have spent $6,000 on your computer alone plus I would assume Turbo, Injectors, Intake, Intercooler, Exhaust etc etc etc. This is not a pisstake I would just like to know roughly how much have you actually spent on just the power mods, how much quicker is it than stock (qtr mile) and what is your fuel consumption per tank now compared to stock? Thanks.
Old 31-03-2006, 11:24 AM
STI Master

Bakks at standard level

If PFFT's car ever gets going it should be close to 10's. Fuel consumption when your going that fast? Who cares?
Old 31-03-2006, 11:36 AM
d_generate

I was more interested overall costs and fuel consumption as a daily driver cos I sure as shit care, I average 500k's per week, bout $70.00 (550k's per tank) if that was halved I would be looking at a further $3,500 per year on fuel.
Old 31-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

just get a link.

Cheap, not always nasty either... will get some money back if you want to sell it, good for all bolt-on mods, how it performs/how much fuel it uses is upto the tuner.
Old 31-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Sir AntiLag

geoff at standard level

You can tune any ecu for good fuel economy at cruise (well - most, probably not wolfs)

Tags
ecu, opinonscosts or effectiveness