Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Sign me up!
STI Master

phoenix at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty05 View Post
Carl the set of A050 i used last year i got flipped after every round of the sprint and they wore flat as a tack in fact i still have 2 left out of that set which i use for testing so as not to wear out my good set. the set i bought this year which have done 3 sprints and 1 speed dome event with the wrx club have been flipped once and rotated front to back once the reason i havent flipped them every time this year is due to two factors

Matt
Must have cost you a few bob getting them flipped after each event. $30 x 4 x 7 sprint events
I still dont see how this would stop then from scalloping if they are going to do it. John says its not the tyres but has no idea what else would be causing it I have rotated the tyres back to front after each event to try and keep the wear even but was not expecting this problem at all. Never even heard of it 'till now.

I appreciate the feed back from both of you up to now and quite honestly I am pissed off with the situation but it seems there is nothing I can do and may be the end of me doing these sort of events. No use coming out on inferior tyres and not being as competitive as you can
Old 07-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Flat Four Father

BLUES at standard level

I've never flipped mine. Did a years worth of events at every track.
Barbagallo - 56.03 (S); 1:08.09 (L)
Collie - 50.77
Possibly the most under-driven Evo X in the world??
Old 07-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

You guys flip the tyres on the rim? As in get them taken off and flipped nearly every round? I change front to back sometimes. But im running crappy nearly dead o3gs or something. Used to run 888's and they were great.

http://kap.industries/
Old 07-06-2012, 08:46 PM

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
No use coming out on inferior tyres and not being as competitive as you can
Thats not true. I have never run decent tyres but my times are getting faster each time.

http://kap.industries/
Old 07-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Sign me up!
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSGT View Post
Thats not true. I have never run decent tyres but my times are getting faster each time.
Point taken. I cant argue with that.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:52 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Matty05 at standard level

Yeah it probably cost me about $800 all year to flip tyres but got a full year out of them and then some as i still use them now for testing.
I would flip them on the rim and run them until they are dead flip them again if they are not wearing too well along the way.You should get the rest of the sprint series out of them.
without seeing the tyres i cant comment but i see similar problems with tyres scalloping but that is on highway trucks with different suspension systems and suspension issues that cause the scalloping

Did you run A050 last year?
Old 07-06-2012, 08:57 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Matty05 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Must have cost you a few bob getting them flipped after each event. $30 x 4 x 7 sprint events
I still dont see how this would stop then from scalloping if they are going to do it. John says its not the tyres but has no idea what else would be causing it I have rotated the tyres back to front after each event to try and keep the wear even but was not expecting this problem at all. Never even heard of it 'till now.

I appreciate the feed back from both of you up to now and quite honestly I am pissed off with the situation but it seems there is nothing I can do and may be the end of me doing these sort of events. No use coming out on inferior tyres and not being as competitive as you can
At the end of the day there are no sheep stations up for grabs so as long as you go out and have fun and get to drive the car the way it was meant to be thats what it is all about you should be able to get a season out of a set even if they are totally rat shit at the end!
Old 07-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Flat Four Father

XT43 is a guruXT43 is a guruXT43 is a guru

Usually do a few events changing front to back and then get them flipped. Last years lasted the whole year with a couple of Barbs events and Rallysprints also and then traded them for some dodgy aircon guys labour

I wouldnt get to disheartened by it Carl, plenty of fun to be had out there!

Last edited by XT43; 07-06-2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Wouldn't
Old 07-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Sign me up!
STI Master

Quote:
At the end of the day there are no sheep stations up for grabs so as long as you go out and have fun
I completely agree with this but the competitve side of me wants to be running on/with the best equipment I can afford and to get the best time possible. Other tyres that are not as good are almost the cost of the 050 so I would love to stay with them but not if they are going to distort like they are.

Quote:

Did you run A050 last year?
No. At the beggining of 2011 and after discussions with John, and he did warn me they weren't as good, I ended up getting the A048. I wanted them as I intended doing some days at Barbagallo and thought they would be a good compromise. Barbagallo didnt happen due to finances so they were only used for the sprints. My times were way off what I expected for the first 3-4 events and for the 2nd run we did on the Targa layout around August John lent me a set of old 050 to see what difference it would make. My time was 8 secs faster than my best time on our first event on the Targa layout in March/April whenever it was. I was sold. After that I didnt do anymore Sprint events last year and ended up selling the tyres eventually which helped me pay for the new 050. I got the 050 for this year and now I have all this shit happening to them.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:21 AM

nauli knows their stuff

Carl,

What you've got to remember is that the A050's that everyone uses are medium compound.....bottom line is that they will wear quicker than some other brands...that's the trade off for them being the most competitive tyre around. Ask Lyall about the wear rate on his 225/45/16's. It's just something you've got to accept. A048's on the other hand will take ages to wear out but they are definitely not the tyre to use in short distance sprint-type events and they are poor in the wet (eg my last outing on A048's at Speed Dome in the wet...zero grip)......but they are OK for lap after lap at say Barbagallo.

Will chat with you about it down south over the weekend.....

Tags
a050, problem, tyre, yokohama