Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-11-2013, 04:07 PM
STI Master

JRecardo at standard level

Would have been so keen for my first time on a track also but found out about it too late (my interest in the car dipped for a while ) to get my shit together. Plus the new 08 is all stock at the moment so that would have been embarrassing to say the least

Glad your mind is at ease about the noise, nothing worse than driving around scared about something going wrong
RJ999 likes this.
Old 16-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Sir AntiLag

VUSSUTE at standard level

I dont know much about DCCD, but from what i know its very similar to diff lockers in 4WD.
When the front differential is unlocked, and you have full lock on, the inside turning tyre is spinning at a faster rate at which the outside tyre is. The LSD allows it to 'slip". With DCCD locked, the differential cant slip. So the inside tyre spins on the bitumen, or rather, skips.
It can be very bad on diffs. But like i said, im not fully experienced with DCCD.

Not fast enough dammit!
Old 16-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

Yeah that's how dif locks work...dccd has more to it

I know what it was....read through the previous posts...DCCD is automatic and can vary the amount of torque and load to each wheel...unlike most 4wd difs which is just a plain boring cone type torque sensing LSD.

Subaru's is an electronic geared LSD for total chassis/ECU management see extract below: (this is high tech racing stuff not bush bashing climbing rocks stuff hahaha)

"An electronic limited-slip differential will typically have a planetary or bevel gear set similar to that of an open differential and a clutch pack similar to that in a torque sensitive or gerotor pump based differential. In the electronic unit the clamping force on the clutch is controlled externally by a computer or other controller. This allows the control of the differential’s limiting torque, Trq d , to be controlled as part of a total chassis management system. An example of this type of differential is Subaru’s DCCD used in the 2011 Subaru WRX STi.[7] Another example is the Porsche PSD system used on the Porsche 928. A third example is the SAAB XWD (Haldex Generation 4) with eLSD, it uses a common (electronically controlled via the vehicle computer network) hydraulic power pack to control both the longitudinal and transversal torque transfer of the XWD system. The same Haldex system is used on several other GM Epsilon based vehicles such as the Cadillac SRX etc"

Last edited by RJ999; 16-12-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 17-12-2013, 01:07 AM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

DCCD = driver controlled centre differential
(Here is my understanding of it)

It can only really control the torque distribution between front and rear - not each individual wheel.

The 'electronically controlled' term refers the electronic nature in which it applies diff lock.

The auto mode uses various signals and sensors to apply various levels of diff lock. Eg throttle application, handbrake application

At full open, the torque will be distributed at a 'set' ratio between the front and rear, regardless of traction.
Once the diff starts locking, the torque spread will vary according to grip and level of diff lock. A fully locked centre diff will send the torque to wherever between the front and rear that has the most traction.

This link explains better DCCD Explained
RJ999 likes this.
Old 17-12-2013, 09:06 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

DCCD for Dummies.

Intra, RUSSGT, Master D and 6 others like this.
Old 17-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

Exactly what I was saying to VUSSUTE thats it's not a holden rear wheel torque sensing cone type lsd or a toyota hilux lsd like he was describing it ,not just a plain old torque sensing lsd, it's electronic with gears and sensors based on throttle etc.

Kato --- you want "break diff trying to do burnout" next to "L" LOL

Last edited by RJ999; 17-12-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Tags
cornering, dccd, normal