Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Juffy at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Juffy
Default Wannabe WRX...

Hi all,

I currently own everyone's favourite wannabe WRX, an RS bugeye, which was last seen here:

...yeah.

Thermostat failed, coolant boiled off and engine cooked itself while I blissfully didn't look at my temperature gauge. Motor's not seized, but it needs a full rebuild at a minimum.

I signed up here to tap the collective wisdom about doing a WRX conversion, using (if I can find one) a bugeye or later front cut. I've got a couple of feelers out to try and find a decent EJ25 as a cheap option, but I figure it's worth at least exploring the idea of dropping an EJ20T in.

I'm not a complete mechanical noob (I've stripped and rebuilt a Corolla engine from the crank) and have access to a couple of other like-minded people, but this would be by far the biggest job I've tried. Looking at Jester's RETSEJ project frankly scares the crap out of me - if I use another Impreza engine of the same approximate vintage, can I get away without having to strip my wiring loom etc?

Thoughts? Opinions? Forecasts of doom? Anything welcome.

cheers,
Paul
Old 25-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Sir AntiLag

BrennyV at standard level

Hey mate, welcome. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
There would be no cheep way out of this if you want upgrade it to a wrx spec.

I would recommend going to a few auctions and try and pickup a damaged gda impreza cheep and swap all the running gear etc over. Engine wiring will basicly be a direct swap over with minimal headaches

My 2c worth anyways.
Old 25-07-2007, 09:24 AM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

Damn Paul that is bad luck. Plenty of members here who will chime in but I say the cost of doing this mod will be way to much plus the time and technical expertise required would stretch most people.

Oh and welcome aboard!
Old 25-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

heya Juff

Cheapest option is to find a same year RS long motor and just bolt it straight in, I'm still looking for a decent priced one for ya

Turbo wise, as far as i know if you get the same year half cut you still need to pull the entire car apart, but there is no loom splicing to be done, simple pull apart -> put back together job. Plus you'll need a bonnet & probably a rear diff. The half cut should come with 4pot brakes too, which most likely not fit under your RS rims.
Old 25-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Juffy at standard level

Thanks for the comments, guys. I realise it's not going to be a cheap job, but I'm looking at either sub-$2k for an EJ25 of uncertain heritage, or $5k for a complete rebuild of this motor.

I know conventional economics suggests that it's more efficient to buy a WRX than do a conversion from a non-turbo, but that assumes that your non-turbo donor car is worth something - to sell my RS I'd need to fix the engine, fix a bit of panel/paint damage, sell it, pay off what's left of my car loan and then find the money for a WRX effectively from scratch.

From what I've read so far, I'd need:

* A WRX front cut
* New/2nd hand exhaust
* Rear diff, probably
* A new/2nd hand bonnet (FMIC isn't a realistic option, I do too much gravel driving and would probably put a stone through it)
* Possibly strip the engine down and replace gaskets etc, depending on age/ks.

I figure I can do that for sub-$10k and a lot of grunt work, which makes it a viable option. I guess my first question is, what am I missing? I'm trying to research this as much as possible before deciding which way to go - I'm by no means determined to do this conversion, and the concept of paying $5k for (effectively) engine is very attractive.

My first requirement is a reliable car. Fun comes second, and the RS has enough grunt to satisfy my hoon urge. Having said that, this may be my only chance to own the next best thing to a real WRX, so I'm looking at it.

cheers,
Paul
Old 25-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Juffy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by jEstEr?
Cheapest option is to find a same year RS long motor and just bolt it straight in, I'm still looking for a decent priced one for ya
Thanks, 'tis muchly appreciated.

Quote:
Turbo wise, as far as i know if you get the same year half cut you still need to pull the entire car apart, but there is no loom splicing to be done, simple pull apart -> put back together job.
I guess this is what I'm trying to find out - by entire car, do you mean everything from the rear driveshaft to the front wheels, or the entire car like you're doing?
Old 25-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

Never having been involved with a GDA conversion, I don't know for sure. I'd imagine the rear NA loom (rear doors, tail lights, fuel pump) would match the turbo front loom (engine, dash, hand brake, lights etc). This does mean pulling out the seats, carpet, cluster, dash etc down to the metal of the firewall. Doesn't take very long.

check out my gif of my car.. as you can see, the majority of the loom actually sits behind airboxes that need to be pulled out.

http://jester.egn.com.au/retsej/interiorx.gif

as for the other bits... after market fuel pump ($200 or so) to replace the 6 year old NA one, China 3" full exhaust ($650) to bolt up to the turbo or a stock one if you can find one, and most likely being a Jap import half cut, personally I'd have it reflashed (verso $990) to make it safe on aussie fuel running the 3" exhaust.

You'll likey be able to utilise the rear end, with different shafts to suit the different diff (what ratio gbox does the RS have?)

Cost wise.. your still better off pursuing a 2.5 long motor
Old 25-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Juffy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by jEstEr?
Cost wise.. your still better off pursuing a 2.5 long motor
A 2.5 long is always going to be the cheapest option, I'm just...exploring my dreams, I guess. If cost was the only driving factor everyone on here would be driving a 97 GX, and I don't mean tuna's one.

Last edited by Juffy; 25-07-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old 25-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Mister Two at standard level

theres a V8 STI bugeye long motor for sale by foxey. Bolt on. will need some wiring work and a intake manifold. But for $3K its a good start.
Old 25-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Juffy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Two
theres a V8 STI bugeye long motor for sale by foxey. Bolt on. will need some wiring work and a intake manifold. But for $3K its a good start.
I saw that one and dribbled quietly, but remember that my existing Impreza isn't a turbo - to drop that in I'd need an entire new drivetrain to handle the grunt and still have to find the rest of the engine.

Tags
wannabe, wrx