Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

I would certainly be wanting to overtake the current HSV range if I was spending $10k on engine mods!

Cam, search around for all of these questions and answers as they are brought up regularly.

Threads like the upcoming fancy performance thread (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/37762-new-fancy-performance-thread.html) will show you what mods, what power and what times cars have done in the past. Best way to mod, see what everyone else has done before you and copy the best suited bits to your driving style.
Old 13-12-2010, 01:14 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Camm at standard level
Smile

Thanks FSK and Kato! Thats pretty helpful! So just to confirm is it ok/the right sequence of things to tune your car and then put engine components in ie fuel pump, injectors etc or is the idea to upgrade your engine with things like fuel pump and injectors AND THEN get it tuned? Remembering that this would be my virgin tune.

CHeers guys!

also

Photos are up! My mates and i did a bit of a photo shoot with some other cars all round the city beach/floreat area haha you might recognise the areas in the photos.

BTW photos were taken after some serious waxing and polishing with a Canon EOS 50D - so yer of course my wrx looks better than yours HAHAHA

Please do have a check em out and see what you reckon!

(before you bash the fact that the car is 100% stock, new tenzo rims should be coming soon im just waiting for the tread of these current tyres to give up the ghost)
Old 13-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammybare View Post
Thanks FSK and Kato! Thats pretty helpful! So just to confirm is it ok/the right sequence of things to tune your car and then put engine components in ie fuel pump, injectors etc or is the idea to upgrade your engine with things like fuel pump and injectors AND THEN get it tuned? Remembering that this would be my virgin tune.
Basically, try to get a heap of things installed and tuned in one hit. That is the best bang for buck way of spending your money.

It is unwise (read: could cause engine failz) to smash a heap of mods on to a stock car and then belt it around town.

Usual coarse of action is:
1. Find a workshop/tuner you like (check the workshop sticky)
2. Get advice on what to do from said workshop. Turning up to a tuner with a pile of bits that don't work well together will not get you the desired results. These guys deal with it day in day out, so ask for their advice based on how you drive the car.
3. 99% of people will get a tune + 3" turbo back exhaust + fuel pump. This will apply many smiles to your face.
4. Next round would be a VF34 + STi TMIC + Injectors (decap or replacement). This will apply an even bigger smile to your face. This to me is quite a great setup for a daily driver.
5. Alternative would be to twin scroll it - better option but more money.
6. Head out to RAC skid pan days and learn to drive. Best mod you can do to a car.
7. Do that too often and get addicted to suspension modding...
Old 13-12-2010, 02:24 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Camm at standard level

Awesome! Cheers Kato. I've heard alot of pwrx members go see all star garage so i guess i'll try hit them up for some advice/modding.

On a random note I'm pretty keen on learning how to drive my wrx "properly". Are skidpans just about fanging it round and doing burnouts or do instructors/other pwrx members help teach you things like double clutching (something im keen to learn)? And is a skidpan something i can do now with a stock wrx?
Old 13-12-2010, 02:26 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

what Kato said but he needs to mention busting donuts

Old 13-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Dak Dak Boom!

BOMB3R is a guruBOMB3R is a guru

Quote:
Awesome! Cheers Kato. I've heard alot of pwrx members go see all star garage so i guess i'll try hit them up for some advice/modding.

On a random note I'm pretty keen on learning how to drive my wrx "properly". Are skidpans just about fanging it round and doing burnouts or do instructors/other pwrx members help teach you things like double clutching (something im keen to learn)? And is a skidpan something i can do now with a stock wrx?
Skidpans are about learning to drive your car properly and an instructor is always there to teach you.

I would look at improving your suspension first before going fo the performance mods. Sway bars, roll centre kit, rotors, pads, springs (preferably coilovers if you have the money though) and the like. Will be much better bang for your buck while you are learning to drive your car.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
365hp and 515nm

New Beast to arrive April 2015 - 365hp, 450nm, 0-100 in 4.4sec. AMG Goodness!
Old 13-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

1 spot left for my skid pan day in March Cam. Check out the thread (6th of March)

Get the money to me ASAP via the numbers in that thread, and you can come down and learn a thing or two. Always happy to have new members out there to learn how to drive their cars! We will have instructors present on the day, and the usual P-wrx fence crew (myself included) to give you some pointers along the way
Old 13-12-2010, 02:41 PM

I did that hard work for you... http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38471

IMO, one of the best ways to spend an afternoon and $75.. you'll learn heaps about how your car handles and work out what handling mods you want to do next... (dialing out understeer mostly)
Old 17-12-2010, 10:13 PM
STI Master

monkeee at standard level

Quote:

Welcome Cam.

As Kym (ImpresiV) mentioned skidpans are a great intro into performance driving. Just bring your car down. You need a helmet (can be had from various bike/scooter/auto shops) and thats it.

There are instructors on hand to help you with driving technique (like corner entry/exit, braking, weight transfer and such).

That being said, if you wish to have a "play" on the pan you can be a bit silly and slide it around and usually the instructors wont care (just another way of finding out how the car handles at or beyond the limit of grip).

Dont know if double clutching is necessary (Though some say you can use it for a down shift from 2-1 from say 45-50k/hr)
I always thought it was for racing cars with no synchros (but Im sure one of the other more experienced members can clarify/explain).

All the other guys have you covered as far as mods so follow that advice and you will be plenty happy.

Enjoy the car and the club

Last edited by monkeee; 17-12-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 17-12-2010, 11:26 PM

I used to heel / toe my sti every day, and rev match on down shifts.. If it becomes the normal way u drive it makes it much easier to drive it that way on the track imo

Tags
introduction, newbie

« hi peeps | Hey all »