Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2016, 10:02 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Ben628 at standard level

Hi guys,

Sorry to be a pain with all the questions, but recently fitted a manual boost controller, the turbosmart T model, very basic one and I now need to fit a boost gauge as my mechanic who fitted the boost controller couldn't do it.

My brother said it's pretty simple as he fitted one on his MR2 but he's not familiar with the WRX, I see that there has been a lot of thread covering DIY install on boost gauge but I was just wondering if any of you guys have a picture you can show on where the vacuum hose needs to be connected on the engine bay? I know that a lot of people said there should be an extra nipple from the manifold but because I am so clueless and afraid to make mistake can anyone show me a picture of this locations?

Many thanks guys
Old 09-07-2016, 02:33 AM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

Old 09-07-2016, 11:02 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Ben628 at standard level

Yep found the extra nipple based on that wiring diagram... Thanks so much Matto20v.... Much appreciated
Old 10-07-2016, 10:08 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Ben628 at standard level

Hi Matto20v...

Just had a look at that point today and found that it is covered with a black rubber plug... I took it off and it seems to be correct because there is no other mechanism, it was simply just a plug and being kept stock standard by the previous owner would I be correct in assuming that I can just remove the black plug and stick the hose in there?

Wish I could upload the photo and show you to confirm but not sure how to do this.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated
Old 10-07-2016, 10:52 PM
STI Master

Yepp, all sounds correct to me.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:08 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Ben628 at standard level

Thanks mate, much appreciated
Old 14-07-2016, 02:45 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Ben628 at standard level

Hi again guys,

Thanks for all the info up to date, been very useful and much appreciated.

Just wanted to ask a few opinions:

1. Restrictor Pill - I've read a lot about the need to have this especially once installing a boost controller but I just wanted to know whether this is necessary if mine is still stock standard? or is it something that is already existing and this is just an upgrade? lastly if I need them where can I get them?

2. Clutch - I feel that my clutch is not really to my liking... hmmm I'm not sure how to explain this but it feels you have to lift your left foot up higher than normal before it starts to engage and as a result when I'm doing the fun driving it seems to stutter, I check with my mechanic and took it for a drive and said it's fine but because it's hydraulic it can't be adjusted (it did have a brand new exceedy clutch put on when I bought the car, I'm not sure what type) is this normal in the GC8 WRX? is there a better clutch I should be looking at to eliminate this problem? a friend of mine mention a double clutch? just wanted to know what your thoughts are on that.

Thanks again so much guys and again sorry if my question sounds stupid or repetitive, a very newbie and still learning all the jargons and terminology so most of the time when I read and research on forums don't really understand half of it lol
Old 14-07-2016, 03:10 PM
STI Master

1) Restrictor pill - used by factory/stock set up to achieve 14.9 psi (or there abouts). It is installed in vacuum line between turbo and the turbos wastegate. If installing a boost controller, the boost controller removes the need for a restrictor pill since it will be controlling the boost. Should be plenty of stuff on google about this and how it works.

2) Clutch - I used to have the factory Subaru clutch on my WRX and it shuddered on take off (from a stand still) 50% of the time. I now have a Stage2 Competition Clutch and there is no shudder and it engages smoothly. The friction point is about half way up the pedal travel.
VisionR.com.au - Details : Clutches - Clutch Kit Stage 2 Sports Heavy Duty
Old 14-07-2016, 03:47 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

VisionR has given up the CC clutches deal, they may have some stock left but have been ordered to raise prices by supplier.

I just got a stage3 clutch from Adam at Tuspeed for $645 landed, so the stage2 should be even cheaper.

Ring him if you want to buy something don't order from the website as he is always up for a little bit of bargaining.
Old 14-07-2016, 11:31 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Ben628 at standard level

Thanks guys,

Much appreciated as always

Do you guys know how much it cost roughly for the labour to install the heavy duty clutch?

Tags
gc8, stock, tuning