Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Vendors and Sponsors > Kido Racing
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Sign me up!
Santa's Little Helper

Addy at standard level

That would be called intellectual property so most probably the tuner would charge the same amount (or very similar). That's how people earn money. Besides that, it might not be fair on some people.

Adi

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT_for_me View Post
The only two differences I have seen between dyno tuning and street tuning is that dyno pulls are usually done in 4th and street pulls in 3rd, and after a dyno tune the tuner takes the car for a drive on the street.

I have never seen a dyno tuner hold a steady RPM.
Also worth noting, you should never be looking at the laptop while driving. Ever! There is no need, and as you pointed out, the back of a truck is something to avoid at all costs.
Dyno pulls on a hub in a 5 speed - 4th, 6 speed -5th (closest gear to 1:1 ratio)
Roller dynos are often done a gear lower due to the wheel speed associated and the safety factor, with some corrections in place for the magical dyno numer. I assume road tunes are done for the same reason (top of 4th would certainly exceed the state mandated 110km/hr speed limit)

If you've never seen a tuner hold a steady RPM, you should see the videos of Cosworth tuning their F1 engines, 12,000 rpm on the dyno for 10 minutes at a time.

Anyway, it might seem like we're (well, me at least) ripping into you about every little thing. OpenECU email tunes are still a rarity in Perth, and most shops that offers tuning so far uses the traditional "time on the dyno" method (excluding Ecutek 1&2), which in my opinion is the safest method. The fact of the matter is: without a good tuner in the car that can diagnose things (like small amounts of knock through amplifiers) , I worry that people are going to be thrashing around in "work in progress" tunes by some fly by night email tuner that disappears next month when half a dozen engines pop. Thats not something I wish to see happen.

Can you perhaps post up a few more links to the tuners work, results etc to gain a bit more faith. Pricing is also a big factor, as you can budget for a set price, drive into a workshop here in Perth and pay that set price for a flash tune. If I get an email tune and am expecting to pay $430 and get an invoice for $1257 because it took longer than a usual tune, I would spit chips
Old 08-05-2012, 09:24 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

XT_for_me at standard level

You make some very good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jEstEr? View Post
The fact of the matter is: without a good tuner in the car that can diagnose things (like small amounts of knock through amplifiers) , I worry that people are going to be thrashing around in "work in progress" tunes by some fly by night email tuner that disappears next month when half a dozen engines pop. Thats not something I wish to see happen.
I would not like to see that happen either. The approach we take is to look at the current tune in the car, and then make some gentle changes, playing very safe, and see how the car responds from the logs. Nasty occurrences like detonation are often visible in the logs even without looking at the FBKC and FLKC parameters, which are part of a standard log file. With repeated iterations of the tune we gradually creep up to the "tuned" condition rather than just take a guess as to where we might end up, and potentially be wrong about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jEstEr? View Post
If I get an email tune and am expecting to pay $430 and get an invoice for $1257 because it took longer than a usual tune, I would spit chips
We provide a fixed price before you place an order. That's it. It's the same as when you order coilovers or a brake kit or a turbo rebuild from us.

I am seeking testimonials from existing customers and will post those as I can. Here is one to start.

Quote:
Dazzz168 from OzFoz:
I'm very 'throttlehappy'!

I have had my stock MY11 Forester XT 4EAT Tuned by TH and its simply superb to drive. Response is instant, smooth, and very controlled. Gear shifts from the 'so called slushbox' are now DSG like! So super smooth that I often do not notice the gear changes unless I look at the revs. People who ride in my car are immediately surprised at the refined feel compared to the stock tune.

The TD04 is a small snail which obviously runs out of puff up top, but TH has done it justice! Going 0-100kmp/h in just 6.5 secs (down from 7.9 secs stock), the car does not feel like the turbo switches off after 5200rpm any more. Torque is nicely spread out across the rev range making it an excellent and quick daily driver.

Great job throttle happy.

Because STOPPING is never optional.

http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/kido-racing/

www.kido-racing.com.au
Old 09-05-2012, 06:43 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Bianca Grant says:
Quote:
So, I own an MY11 STi which I have tuned by the Kido Racing tuner. Having had a MY09 STi tuned by a big name shop in SE Qld after getting a crap tune from one of the USA's supposed best, neither tune was particularly impressive despite a turbo back exhaust and intake before it was written off in the Qld floods.
With my new STi, I wanted to see what the potential of the STi was in stock form. Matt came to the party with an absolutely amazing tune, power rose substantially and made it feel much more responsive. Best of all, the accelerator pedal becomes much more communicative and he describes it as 'Playstation GT5 style' with the further you push the accelerator down, the faster the car moves forward. Power delivery is smoother and fuel economy on a stock STi has dropped to around 8 litres per 100km's.
If Subaru sold them like this from factory, they would sell a lot more cars!
I highly recommend getting a Kido Racing Tune, you will not be disappointed!!
You can see Bianca's original post on the KiDo Racing Facebook page
So, I own an MY11... | Facebook

Bianca has also made the following offer: "I live in Brisbane and will happily take anyone interested in a tune for a drive both in stock form and then show off the tune too."

You can reach Bianca through her post on the KiDo Racing Facebook page.

www.kido-racing.com.au
Old 09-05-2012, 11:28 AM
coming back in 2011

Intra at standard level

Sounds like good feedback.

The only problem that i can see is the "perception" of a "good tune".

What feels great on the "bum dyno" can ultimately be misinterpreted, having moved to Victoria for a short period of time and meeting a few other WRX owners who swore by their chosen tuner as having "the shit". I pulled out a few ROM's and compared the values to stock images, found that infact adding 1.5 degrees in midrange and leaning out fuel by 0.5 was considered a "good tune" by this one tuner. (we all know that's pretty superficial in the grand scheme of the tune)

Imagine the surprise when i donated a properly tuned image....

Anyways, keep up the good work and good luck!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:01 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Thanks for the good luck wishes.

The KiDo tunes can, and often do change up to 120 tables in the ECU, and not only change the tables, but we are the ONLY people who change the table scaling to provide better control at the important points in the table range.

I can post examples tomorrow if anyone is interested.

www.kido-racing.com.au
Old 09-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Quote:

The KiDo tunes can, and often do change up to 120 tables in the ECU, and not only change the tables, but we are the ONLY people who change the table scaling to provide better control at the important points in the table range.

I'd be interested to see the examples.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

Quote:

I'm not having a dig, but surely you can't be the only people who change scaling when they tune for more resolution in key areas?
Isn't that pretty standard procedure?
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 09-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

All I know is that it aint singing unless its pinging
jEstEr?, scary and Kato like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-05-2012, 09:30 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvk7 View Post
I'm not having a dig, but surely you can't be the only people who change scaling when they tune for more resolution in key areas?
Isn't that pretty standard procedure?
OK, I should perhaps of phrased it differently, I have seen tunes from quite a number of tuners and we are the only one I know of, or have heard of who changes the scaling.

Anyway, here are some examples. The table at the rear is my current tune, the table at the front is the OEM tune. You can see the table scales have been changed.
Attached Thumbnails
TH_tune_scaling1.jpg   TH_tune_scaling2.jpg  

www.kido-racing.com.au

Tags
kido, talk, tunes, tuning