Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > The Law and Politics- Locally and Abroad
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Flat Four Father

XT43 is a guruXT43 is a guruXT43 is a guru

going to need another mattress
Old 14-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Sign me up!
///M3

Jimmy S at standard level

LOL Burke... Cash jobs only...

I'm right behind you Dave... Didn't want the silly duck in the first place...

'04 E46 S/C M3 Coupe
Old 14-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Dak Dak Boom!

BOMB3R is a guruBOMB3R is a guru

We can give 16 Mill to some new Sudanese nation for nothing and 500 Mill to Indonesia in aid only for them to turn around and say FU we aren't taking your cattle anymore (because of this STUPID FUCKING GOVERNMENTS STUPID DECISION!), but when it comes to our own affairs we just dig into the peoples pockets.

IF YOU VOTED FOR THIS GOVERNMENT I FUCKING HATE YOU!

I can't wait until it's all over, we have to live through this shit government and it's decisions for a few years............................but Julia will have to live with the fact she was the worst Prime Minister this country has ever seen for the rest of her life.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
365hp and 515nm

New Beast to arrive April 2015 - 365hp, 450nm, 0-100 in 4.4sec. AMG Goodness!
Old 14-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Sir AntiLag

RamWRC at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIGSTi View Post
but Julia will have to live with the fact she was the worst Prime Minister this country has ever seen for the rest of her life.
There's a reason it took over 100 years to have our first female prime minister. They won't be making that mistake again
Old 14-07-2011, 01:08 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIGSTi View Post
IF YOU VOTED FOR THIS GOVERNMENT I FUCKING HATE YOU!

I can't wait until it's all over, we have to live through this shit government and it's decisions for a few years............................but Julia will have to live with the fact she was the worst Prime Minister this country has ever seen for the rest of her life.
You have either forgotten about the mid 90's and the Hawke/Keating years or you were not born yet.
Old 14-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

To try an help with the "what do you have to do to get an election", it's a lot but you need control of one of the houses and , effectively be a Prime Minister which is now "technically" the Greens :

You're chasing a double disillusionment.

Double Dissolution
Double Dissolution
Updated: 10 September 2009

Double dissolutions of the parliament are provided for under section 57 of the Constitution when the House of Representatives and the Senate cannot agree on a Bill. A summary of the steps is set out below:

The House passes a bill and sends it to the Senate.
The Senate rejects it, or fails to pass it, or passes it with amendments to which the House does not agree.
Three months must pass, from the time the Senate acts (or fails to act).
The House of Representatives passes the bill again (with or without Senate amendments).
The Senate again rejects the bill, or fails to pass it, or passes it with amendments to which the House does not agree.
The Prime Minister is able to approach the Governor-General to seek the dissolution of parliament.
Both Houses are dissolved by the Governor-General in what is called a double dissolution and an election is held. This election is significant because it is the only occasion on which all the Senators face election at the same time.

Following the election the bill may again be introduced. The House of Representatives again passes the bill (with or
without Senate amendments).
If the Senate again fails to pass the bill, or again passes it with amendments to which the House does not agree, the Governor-General can convene a joint sitting of the two Houses. This power also is exercised on government advice.
The joint sitting votes on the bill or bills, and on any disputed amendments. An absolute majority is required to pass the bill(s) - ie more than 50% of the total number of the members of both Houses.
If the bill(s) is/are passed, the Governor-General gives assent and the bill(s) become law.

Effectively, the only bill that a government WILL push through is a budget. If any monetary bill doesn't get through you can run/pay for to run government. This is how Whitlam was dismissed.

As such, whilst members vote party lines, Labor butt kisses the Greens and the independent are weak as water there is no chance of an important bill NOT passing both houses.

What we need then is for one Green, one independent, or one Labor member (least likely) to conscious vote rather than to follow party lines which I can assure you in modern politics almost never happens.

It is usually only the Liberals who cross the floor and the last time was against legislation regarding "boat people" during Howard's era. It a serious thing to do and that is why party whips exist to ensure ALL vote with the party. The Australian government's parliamentary education office states:

A member or senator ‘crosses the floor’ if they walk across the chamber and vote with the other side. Crossing the floor is a public act made in full view of all the other members of the House, the media and the public. It is meant to make a statement. Party members may consider anyone who crosses the floor to be a traitor.

Members and senators rarely cross the floor. Even if a couple of members cross the floor, it makes little difference to the vote because the government usually still has a majority of members. Crossing the floor can only make a difference when enough parliamentarians change the numbers on each side, or when a government has a majority of only one or two votes (as in the case of the Legislative Council in the South Australian parliament in 1998); then parties’ leaders are vigilant about how their members vote.

Further to crossing the floor:

Lost Art of "Crossing the Floor" - Sydney Morning Herald

So, effectively we need a Green, Independent or Labor legislative or senate member to publicly cross the floor and vote against a serious bill usually the budget or another monetary bill such as the "Carbon Tax", "Mining Tax", etc and then force the Prime Minister to subject herself to a Labor positioned female Governor General to dissolve parliament and call a double disillusionment election giving up the first joint Green / Labor / Independent government in history.

Personally, I think there's more chance of a news story about Bob Brown having a heterosexual affair with the Prime Minister or pigs flying
Old 14-07-2011, 02:34 PM
The Modulator

An Overview Of The Whitlam Dismissal
Old 14-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dave View Post
Mate, there was lots involved BUT senate refusing to pass supply by a Liberal dominated senate was the straw that got Whitlam thrown out.

Don't get me started about Rex Connor - only reason I have a Yankie accent is that idiot screwing the Australian mining industry in the 70s. Worse was the fact that he was replaced by Paul "the recession we had to have" Keating.
Old 15-07-2011, 01:02 PM
STI Master

Trexx at standard level
Send a message via Yahoo to Trexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB Liberty View Post
Mate, there was lots involved BUT senate refusing to pass supply by a Liberal dominated senate was the straw that got Whitlam thrown out.

Don't get me started about Rex Connor - only reason I have a Yankie accent is that idiot screwing the Australian mining industry in the 70s. Worse was the fact that he was replaced by Paul "the recession we had to have" Keating.
But there's no such thing as a free lunch
Old 14-07-2011, 02:43 PM
The Modulator

Lol

Tags
congratulations, gaga knows gillard is a lesbian!, tax