Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > The Law and Politics- Locally and Abroad
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 11:02 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Goosey at standard level

I think a lot of drivers are afraid of using the accelerator when going down the on-ramp. Perhaps a large sign that says "please accelerate to 100km/h now" with flashing lights would work better?

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
Old 04-05-2014, 11:20 AM
STI Master

gorotsuki69 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosey View Post
I think a lot of drivers are afraid of using the accelerator when going down the on-ramp. Perhaps a large sign that says "please accelerate to 100km/h now" with flashing lights would work better?

accelerate to 100km/h now
or $250 fine
GTB Liberty (04-05-2014), Soksta (04-05-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

Jeckle at standard level

But if you cant get clearly infront of a car already on the freeway, ie there can be no overlapping at all, as the car on the freeway has right of way, you have to then slow/stop till there is a gap.

Thats the problem with this idea, its not they're in front, they have the right of way, or when its slow, its one from the slip way and one from the freeway.

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
Old 04-05-2014, 05:58 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Obviously we all need to look over our shoulders when changing lanes, etc. but sit in your chair right now, turn your head as close to 180 degrees as possible and imagine trying to get your eyes to focus on a car(s) 400m behind you and accurately judge their speed (that could be anywhere from 60km/h to 120km/h with Perth drivers).

I can't even remember the last time I saw a 300-400m gap on the Freeway to be honest. That's the gap/distance that is going to be required for the average car to successfully negotiate this rule.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:21 PM
Subaru Tech Division

thehowlfactor knows their stuff

With this new merging law, this keeps popping into my head for some reason.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:29 PM
Subaru Tech Division

DukeDrifter knows their stuff

Or we could just teach people how to drive in the first place rather then adding in road rules to accommodate for piss poor driving

Last edited by DukeDrifter; 04-05-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:34 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Dan [GTI] knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDrifter View Post
Or we could just teach people how to drive in the first place rather then adding in road rules
People don't use / follow the rule we have now... so adding more is an obvious next step

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLEY View Post
That's the gap/distance that is going to be required for the average driver to successfully negotiate this rule.
Fixed for accuracy. The average car will have no issue accelerating (in a safe and controlled manner) to freeway / highway speeds. The drivers however...
Old 04-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan [SSZ] View Post
Fixed for accuracy. The average car will have no issue accelerating (in a safe and controlled manner) to freeway / highway speeds. The drivers however...
Your average family sedan will probably do 0-100 in what, 8-10 seconds if wringing its neck? Add the obligatory "2 second safe gap" into the equation...

For a 300m gap you will get 10 seconds grace if the vehicle in the left hand lane is doing 100km/h

For a 400m gap you will get 14 seconds grace if the vehicle in the left hand lane is doing 100km/h
Dan [GTI] (04-05-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Smeg at standard level

Hopefully the people already on the freeway will be courteous and move over one lane to allow traffic to merge freely and then move back to the inside lane once they have passed the car that just merged ........... bhwahahahahahahahaha as if

During peak hour traffic..... I can see the head lines now .... 10 car pile up on Freeway south as cars stopped when trying to merge with flowing traffic moving at speed ... avoid if possible.

People cannot merge now, this is not going to improve the problem.

Courteous drivers that give way, allow others to pass, keep left when not over taking and just generally not being a $%@* on the road will help traffic flow and decrease accidents.

I find it frustrating when I am on a 3 lane freeway and there are 3 cars travelling at the same speed all next to each other in all 3 lanes.... how hard is it to keep left and allow the traffic behind to pass?

These new rules when entering on to the freeway will cause trouble because people aren't courteous when driving. During peak hour traffic, drivers never want to allow others in front of them, which will force the people trying to merge to stop and cause trouble with the other merging drivers behind them.

I don't think Perth drivers are up to this new rule..... imho
Old 04-05-2014, 07:26 PM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeg View Post
These new rules when entering on to the freeway will cause trouble because people aren't courteous when driving.
The most important thing to come from your post needed to be repeated. Perth drivers for the most part need to get their heads out of their asses and gain a little common sense at the same time. Unfortunately though, as long as parents can teach their children how to drive, the cycle of poor ability and bad habits continues.

Also I call bullshit that cars can't get up to freeway speed before the merge point. It works everywhere else I've ever driven, it's nothing more than excuse to not have to change something that's established despite it not being efficient.

Tags
merging, method, trial