Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 07:48 AM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

Well that's some pretty good feedback for you huh. Guess it really comes down to what you want to do with the car and if you can find a used MY05 STI and are happy buying someone elses used car. For me it was a simple choice. New car vs used car. What you should pick up from this thread is that there are two great suby choices for you and the hard part will be trying to decide. The 2.0 ltr STI owners are loyal as hell to their vintage but then again so are the bug eyes and classic shapes.

PS. PIG = Torque

Last edited by American Dave; 08-02-2007 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:58 AM
Sir AntiLag

boostED82 at standard level

Thanks for 'closing' it off Dave, you're right. Unfortunately NEW is not an option for me and at this stage after further investigation, for my application the MY05 2'0L Sti is probably the way to go considering not only all the feedback on this thread, but also cost.

Thank you to all that replied.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dave
Well that's some pretty good feedback for you huh. Guess it really comes down to what you want to do with the car and if you can find a used MY05 STI and are happy buying someone elses used car. For me it was a simple choice. New car vs used car. What you should pick up from this thread is that there are two great suby choices for you and the hard part will be trying to decide. The 2.0 ltr STI owners are loyal as hell to their vintage but then again so are the bug eyes and classic shapes.

PS. PIG = Torque

I dont think so. I think the point that the 2.0ltr owners are trying to make is that from a modification standpoint the 2.0ltr is a much stronger base to start with.

you cant run more than 18psi with a standard 2.5 whereas u can push 26-28psi through a standard 2.0ltr.. Yes u make more low down torque with a 2.5 but u cant rev it out to 8gs.

i owned both variants of engine size.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:08 AM
Subaru Tech Division

stinga at standard level

Yeah, if your not buying new i'd go 05. Why, nicer shape, staunch motor.
Lets not forget its early days on these 2.5l motors as well....
Having said that the 2.5l is nice to plod around town in and mine currently seems to run nicely with a few mods.
My 2c and I own a pig.
Al
Old 08-02-2007, 09:13 AM
The Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwrex
I dont think so. I think the point that the 2.0ltr owners are trying to make is that from a modification standpoint the 2.0ltr is a much stronger base to start with.

you cant run more than 18psi with a standard 2.5 whereas u can push 26-28psi through a standard 2.0ltr.. Yes u make more low down torque with a 2.5 but u cant rev it out to 8gs.

i owned both variants of engine size.
horses for courses, decide what the purpose of the car is going to be then select car. We are now in 2007 though and you are talking about a limited number of MY05 STI in this market even available. Lastly is this car going to be your daily driver? This is something that you need to think about and how long are going finance it for and keep her? Great to have a MY05 STI running huge boost but at what sacrifice? My 2 cents, owe and I have owned MY02 STI previously FTW.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Dak Dak Boom!

BOMB3R is a guruBOMB3R is a guru

Haven't driven or owned any rex apart from my pig so I can't really comment with a great deal of conviction between the 2 engines.
But as far as boost etc is concerned I am pretty happy with 217kw on a mainline dyno running 17psi, plus the amount of torque she produces is fantastic.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
365hp and 515nm

New Beast to arrive April 2015 - 365hp, 450nm, 0-100 in 4.4sec. AMG Goodness!
Old 08-02-2007, 09:30 AM
The Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIGSTi
Haven't driven or owned any rex apart from my pig so I can't really comment with a great deal of conviction between the 2 engines.
But as far as boost etc is concerned I am pretty happy with 217kw on a mainline dyno running 17psi, plus the amount of torque she produces is fantastic.

uuuummmmmm tooooorque
Old 08-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Sign me up!

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dave
horses for courses, decide what the purpose of the car is going to be then select car. We are now in 2007 though and you are talking about a limited number of MY05 STI in this market even available. Lastly is this car going to be your daily driver? This is something that you need to think about and how long are going finance it for and keep her? Great to have a MY05 STI running huge boost but at what sacrifice? My 2 cents, owe and I have owned MY02 STI previously FTW.
No sacrifice at all, thats the thing i was running 1.5 bar all day everyday for over 1yr no problem at all.. Stace has been running nearly 2 bar for many yrs now also.. Tode the same etc etc..

I think that the engine is a much stronger starting point for heavy modifications, whereas the bottom end needs to be completely overhauled to start doing modifications more than the slap on IC and exhaust..

Look at all the 2.5s which have blown up.. ALOT...
Old 08-02-2007, 10:40 AM
The Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwrex
No sacrifice at all, thats the thing i was running 1.5 bar all day everyday for over 1yr no problem at all.. Stace has been running nearly 2 bar for many yrs now also.. Tode the same etc etc..

I think that the engine is a much stronger starting point for heavy modifications, whereas the bottom end needs to be completely overhauled to start doing modifications more than the slap on IC and exhaust..

Look at all the 2.5s which have blown up.. ALOT...
yep that's it time to sell up the MY06 STI and find a three year old STI! All I am saying is you really need to decide what you are going to use the car for first, drags, rallys, street car, etc. Who in WA has blown up a MY06 STI for the record? We are talking about MY06STI vs MY05STI right?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:43 AM

waxdass at standard level
Send a message via MSN to waxdass

MY02/03/04/05 - same

though im a buit sceptical about the Aus 05 Sti pistons. I though Lewis(Sethor) found out that his where hypernautic(spelling) ??

Tags
05, 06, info, sti