Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Flat Four Father

FFOUR at standard level

But brembos look cool!

MY05 STI track car | VF Clubsport
Old 19-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Totally agree with Kato - Id say there is some lappo fluid in it, which has boiled, and is now shit.

My suggestion for lines comes due to the expansion of the standard lines under pressure and heat. Keeps the pedal feel alot firmer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 19-04-2008, 12:53 PM

RichX knows their stuff

Have any of you driven a WRX with a semi-decent package in it, then gone to Brembo's or something equivalent and noticed a difference straight away?

Most people with the bigger brakes seem to think they are the ducks nuts.
Old 19-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay
I should probobly ask the question as to why you need to upgrade anyhow - nice rotors/pads/fluids, braided lines and a master cylinder stopper will give you all the braking power you will ever need. There is nothing wrong with the 4 pots at all.

Brembos/China Shitters plus installation plus rims to cover brembos is a much more pricey combination then the first option.
True, do you boil your brake fluid much?

Most people can get substantial fade with their brakes but this can be all but eliminated with:

Good pads
Good rotors (High temp)
Braided lines
Master cylinder brace
Good fluid.

Bigger calipers only needed when you have reached the limits with all the other stuff. Honestly, good pads make all the differance, will flog out your rotors but hey, they are all comsumable parts when your serious about performance.
Old 19-04-2008, 01:02 PM

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichX
Have any of you driven a WRX with a semi-decent package in it, then gone to Brembo's or something equivalent and noticed a difference straight away?

You could go to 8 pot brembos, with 450mm rotors, if your using 12 dollar quang zoo china pads and fluid it will stop worse then legacy two pots.

Your missing the overall picture.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 19-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Flat Four Father

muggz at standard level

I think the standard Subaru setup (4 piston front /2 piston rear) is well and truly a great package.. Just ask Brendon W. aka ''urabus'' he runs a stock system in his RA and blitzed Dutton '07 coming 1st outright.. now his car (GC8) obviously is lighter over the GD series. IMO, well sorted Rotors, Pads,high temp fluid and braided brake lines will reap big rewards.

Last edited by muggz; 19-04-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 19-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

As said above there are a lot of people doing competitive motorsport on the standard wrx calipers.

If you can only get a couple of stops out of them, obviously something isn't setup right. Upgrading to a larger brake will only give a minimal improvement unless you fix the main problem.
Old 19-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Sir AntiLag

AIG at standard level

Quote:

We moved from an MY05 WRX with DBA4000, high temp brake fluid and Ferodo 2500 pads to an MY05 STI currently fitted with high temp brake fluid and the 2500 pads and I did notice a difference, but only on the track. The STI has more stopping power and a complete absence of fade even over a whole day of driving at Barbagallo in 35 degree heat. But if your not doing regular track days or timed events the 4 pots ares excellent.

We did find the limit of the 4 pots at Collie but even so I've done both Barbagallo and Collie with my old MY01 fitted with only high temp fluid (standard pads and rotors) and managed. For street driving or AHG the 4 pots are more than enough. Just make sure you keep fresh, quality high temp fluid in it.
Old 19-04-2008, 03:12 PM
coming back in 2011

Intra at standard level

Quote:

Richard,

I would take John up on the offer to try out his brake package on a standard WRX setup.

I am also happy to let you try my DBA 5000 and DS3000 setup (also on a std WRX setup).

I drive day in and day out with this combo on the street and apart from the squealing every now and again its fine. Some say its a bit too aggressive for the street but i like knowing that if i _NEED_ to stop its waiting there for me to give it a stab.
Old 19-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WhiteRX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRX

I have had great experiences with the stock subaru brake systems, and never had any fade at collie, and defiantly not ahg. I have tried bendix ultimate and after about 5 stops from 100-0 on the road they had smoke pouring from them, and slight fade, which is why i changed pads.
Currently i run ferodo 2000 pads, and find them great for the street and track, although at collie last time i did warp my rotors and kill 1 brand new set of pads, so they dont last very long under track conditions, i did 100km at collie. Next time i will proberly try 2500's to stop warping the rotors hopefully.

With the ferodo pads, i havent had any smoke, and i dont get fade. I run motil rbf600, which is flushed correctly with about 1.5l of fluid, including flushing the abs pump.

Tags
big, brakes