Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Sir AntiLag

subarooboy at standard level

There are only 2 reasons your BOV should concern the pit inspector:

1. Noise
2. Pollution (MAP/ backfiring etc)

The fact that you have a plumb back valve should cover the pollution problem as you are still satisfying the vacuum through the MAP sensor etc. (eg- no backfiring due to ECU adding extra fuel etc).

As far as noise, have readings been taken with a decibel meter from a reasonable distance (ie- not in front of the valve!)? Do these exceed the acceptabel limit?? Unless you have some killer pod/ air box setup that flows so effectively even plumb back sound limits exceed that of vented to air etc, I would ask them to review it and claim that you chose aftermarket because the factory valve shat itself etc.

On the GFB website there is a PDF somewhere of their BOV's passing the eastern states pits now, so I can't imagine why WA would be so anal??!
Old 08-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Subaru Tech Division

redlib at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarooboy
There are only 2 reasons your BOV should concern the pit inspector:

1. Noise
2. Pollution (MAP/ backfiring etc)

The fact that you have a plumb back valve should cover the pollution problem as you are still satisfying the vacuum through the MAP sensor etc. (eg- no backfiring due to ECU adding extra fuel etc).

As far as noise, have readings been taken with a decibel meter from a reasonable distance (ie- not in front of the valve!)? Do these exceed the acceptabel limit?? Unless you have some killer pod/ air box setup that flows so effectively even plumb back sound limits exceed that of vented to air etc, I would ask them to review it and claim that you chose aftermarket because the factory valve shat itself etc.

On the GFB website there is a PDF somewhere of their BOV's passing the eastern states pits now, so I can't imagine why WA would be so anal??!

Cause some of the cunts at these places just like to be assholes, and just fail you for not even illegal things. if it was me i would right a complaint and say that it aint illegal go to a different pit place and get them to mark it off.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

sikwrx at standard level

They check engine noise by a drive by sound test, this is not upto the pits people to perform, and thus never been performed in WA.
The pits give their opinion on whether they think it is too loud and it is upto you to prove them wrong via an engineers report.

check ADR 28/01

"2. Procedure for Vehicles in Motion
(Refer to diagram - Section 4)
2.1 Site for tests on vehicles in motion.
2.1.1 The measurements shall be made at an open site where the ambient and wind noise levels are at least 10 dB(A) below the noise level being measured. The site may take the form of an open space of 25 m radius having a central part of at least 10 m radius, practically level, consisting of concrete, asphalt or similar material and not covered with powdery snow, tall grass, loose soil, ashes or the like. During the test no one shall be in the measurement area except the observer and the driver. Their presence must have no influence on the meter reading.
2.1.2 The surface of the test track used to measure the noise of vehicles in motion shall be such as not to cause excessive tyre noise.
2.1.3 Measurements shall not be made under adverse weather conditions. Any sound peak which appears to be unrelated to the characteristics of the general sound level of the vehicle shall be ignored in taking the readings. If a wind guard is used, its influence on the sensitivity and the directional characteristics of the microphone shall be taken into account.
"
Old 08-09-2008, 06:04 PM

sikwrx at standard level

ADR 28

link to the adr in question
6meg file
Old 08-09-2008, 06:13 PM

kurt_blastoff at standard level

mate,
i had this exact problem.. i too hav my turbosmart plumback bov coming off the main fmic piping on my gc8..
went to welshpool to get the car registered (bought it from victoria)
the solution is incredibly easy and i discovered it by accident when trying to adjust my plumback to make it quieter at the pits..

i unscrewed the "loose" and "harden" twist top too much and the top popped off..
took the spring out of the bov, put the top back on it and connected again to the piping.. turned on the engine.. revved it..

dead quiet..

while its not sumthin i recommend u doing for long periods of time, ultimately it satisfied this guy that there was no noise, even when he drove it around the block.. u couldnt hear it..

car registered
Old 08-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Sir AntiLag

subarooboy at standard level

Redlib- Unfortunately... yes. But they seem to pick on you younger fellas a bit these days for really stupid stuff.

Sikwrx- Yeah, I'm aware of most ADRs (try and perform any of their tests though... jeez!!). If it's soley up to an engineer's biased opinion though, I'd still make it a point to argue with them (on relevant grounds of course), has always worked for me. Not that I get picked on much anymore though.

Kurt- I'd say blocking the vacuum line as previously suggested would be easier than going to all that trouble!
Old 08-09-2008, 09:56 PM

sikwrx at standard level

oh yeah, i argue till im blue in the face unfortunately they are ass clowns, like arguin with a brick wall with down syndrome
Old 22-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

Is it possible for the OEM BOV to get it's piston/actuator stuck in the open position temporarily/intermittantly?, so when you're on the throttle the charge is also being recirc'd at the same time?

Has anyone heard of this before? Do BOV's die, particularly if they are subjected to higher boost pressures?
Old 22-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Hurtenstein at standard level

Ones with adjustable spring tension can stay open a bit if they're wound as loose as they'll go.
Old 22-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichX
Is it possible for the OEM BOV to get it's piston/actuator stuck in the open position temporarily/intermittantly?, so when you're on the throttle the charge is also being recirc'd at the same time?

Has anyone heard of this before? Do BOV's die, particularly if they are subjected to higher boost pressures?
Yes they die. Usually the diaphragm ruptures meaning the piston doesn't have equalizing pressure on one side and it blows open when on boost. in this case it usually is idenifiable as a vacuum leak with no known source (it sucks from inside the bov chamber).

Are you thinking that the problem with your scoob Rich?
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Tags
blow, problem, valve