Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-05-2010, 06:31 AM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

i would get the 02 sti cooler.

at least it looks factory

Long live the WRC
Old 14-06-2010, 09:24 AM
STI Master

fatboy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
I loooked at this also as an option but have disregarded it, i have just this week ordered a process west tmic for my betty, i also looked at the hyperflow but decided that the quality wasn't there and also the size was far to small compared to the PW!

For $1100 it would also be cheaper than replacing everything to fit an STI cooler (plus where do you get one?)

It arrived this morning and just looks a million bucks!

I know it cost $1100 so it should look good but i had no real idea how much bigger it really was untill i saw it in the flesh......i am sooooo happy with it and cant wait to get it tuned!
Old 15-06-2010, 06:08 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Gk_ at standard level

hey guys,

i have a aps dr525 fmic, i got quoted $1000 bucks to get it installed on my car?? this sounds about right or they taking me for a ride? if anyone has ever installed one them self let me know how you went please or if you know anyone that does it cheaper??it dont look that easy to do it my self, but then again i am no mechanic..
Old 16-06-2010, 12:36 AM
Subaru Tech Division

type25 at standard level

pm sent
Old 06-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Could anyone give an opinion on the Hyperflow TMIC v AVO TMIC for an MY08 Liberty?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:56 AM

*BUMP* done some simple research, the Hyperflow is 114mm thick and the AVO is 88.9mm. Substantial difference.

Part of my concern is I don't want to lose the engine cover. With a 25.1mm thickness difference would fitting the engine cover even be possible?

I don't want to lose the engine cover as I'm trying to keep the "stealth".

Any of the Liberty owners care to comment assuming you have had either the AVO or Hyperflow TMIC.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Thickness does not necessarilly mean better. Surface area of the heat exchanger is where the magic happens. I.e. you want the most channels in the area that will see air flow. Thicker coolers sometimes have not enough air reaching the thick part making it just redundant. Also, it can become a better heat sink, abosrbing engine temp and making the whole intercooler a pile of steaming dog poo on top of your engine.

Design of the channels is the key for heat transfer/intercooling.

Are they bar and plate or tube and fin? Tube and fin > bar and plate imo.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:42 AM

Default AVO v Hyperflow

Hyperflow

Intercooler Features:

Core Size: 270 x 270 x 114 [mm]

Intercooler Supports: 250Kw +

Material: Aluminium [Light Weight]

Finish: Polished Intercooler

Hyperflow’s TMIC Kits are constructed using high quality Bar and Plate Intercooler cores which provides a large increase to the cooling area, the 07 GT bolt on Intercooler features an integrated aluminium flange, carved from 6061-T6 billet. To ensure a perfect fit, the Intercooler brackets have also been CNC machined along with the high flow tanks.

Hyperflow Kits allow Subaru replacement aftermarket BOV’s to be used or the factory blow off valve can be retained, and will bolt straight on.

This Intercooler is ideal for power levels up to 335Hp (250Kw) the TMIC has proven to constantly offer less than 0.9psi of pressure drop which leads to lower intake temperatures and reduced strain on your turbocharger.

The Intercooler Finish comes either Mirror Polished or Powder Coat Black; installation is quick and easy and can be completed yourself at home.

Note: In order to fit the larger TMIC on the 07-09 Liberty/Legacy GT the standard engine cover needs to be removed or trimmed.

AVO

Our aluminum bar and plate TMIC with cast endtanks was designed specifically to provide the best flow and cooling while bolting up in the factory location. We use our 400hp core in this design to provide an ideal bolt-on upgrade for stock or upgraded turbochargers.
The standard factory intercooler setup is quite inefficient and does not allow your engine to produce anywhere near its full potential. The AVO Intercooler Upgrade kit uncorks your engine, unleashing horsepower. This power is found everywhere on the rpm band, making your Legacy much more fun to drive. Better response and a deeper well of torque to dip into!

Specifications:

# Core size: 10.4 x 10.5 x 3.5 inches (being 264.16mm x 266.7mm x 88.9mm)
# Supports up to 400chp
# High-response, high-flow design

So they are both bar plate Kato. I don't think I've ever seen a tube fin aftermarket model for the Liberty. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT:

Perrin

PERRIN Performance Top Mount Intercooler

The process of compressing incoming air to create boost and power also has a nasty byproduct of heat. Heated air lacks the density to make higher horsepower, increases detonation and forces the ECU to pull timing. All of which reduce the power you are looking to create.

Easy solutions do exist for this problem and PERRIN offers several choices for your vehicle and personal taste. For mild modifications and a stealthy look turn to our Top Mount Intercooler upgrades, available for Impreza, Forester, and Legacy models. These bar and plate cores offer more surface area per square inch than cheap tube and fin choices from our less worthy competitors and the overall size is more than 200% of the OEM unit! But Top Mount Intercoolers do suffer from underhood heat buildup and while excellent for mild performance gains the Front Mounts are the ideal choice for all out, bar none HP gains!

Another for the Legacy/Liberty - another bar and plate.

Last edited by GTB Liberty; 07-08-2010 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Added Perrin
Old 07-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Bar and plate are cheaper to make, that's why there are more out there. In the end consumers want cheap and most wouldn't have a clue wtf an intercooler is actually doing.

Saying that, nothing wrong with a well constructed bar and plate over a cheap POS tube and fin either.

Personally, I'd try and find dyno plots of people who have used them to compare.

If they are the same price, go the Hyperflow (if the thickness allows you to remain stealth).
Old 07-08-2010, 03:31 PM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...28af9ae4916bcf

You want a top mount, ARC is the only choice!

Tags
buyers, guide, process, tmic, west