Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Subaru Tech Division

smerm07 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM_STYLE
Pretty sure if it was that easy, cars could be stolen even easier than
they are nowdays.
makes sense. so going through subaru is the only way then?
Old 28-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

Can't remember the name of the place but it's opposite the BP in the complex on the corner of Main & Royal in Ozzy Pk, they are much cheaper for remotes/keys than anyone else, look in the yellow pages under Locksmith on Main st & give them a ring.
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.
Old 28-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Quote:
Originally Posted by smerm07
not to sure, i could get the key for about $100 but then that would just open the doors manually, but then i need to turn the immobiliser off so its kind of pointless. wouldnt mind knowing some options as well as i only have 1 key and its falling apart

The use of vehicle transponders was introduced as a result of the German Insurance bodies refusing to underwrite vehicles that did not have some form of passive electronic immobilisation. The passive meaning that no action had to be undertaken by the user to 'arm' the system.

A transponder system comprises two primary components being the processor/interrogator and a microchip (transponder) embedded within the head of the key. The processor usually interacts with the fuel injection and varied other vehicle electronics systems.

When an attempt to start the vehicle is made, the interrogator sends a burst of Radio Frequency (RF) energy - at a defined frequency - to an antenna which usually surrounds the face of the ignition cylinder. As the transponder contains a tuned circuit matched to the frequency of the RF burst, a small voltage is generated by induction within the transponder chip. Whether this charges a capacitor I don't know, but the result is that the induced voltage causes the transponder chip to emit, by RF, it's individual code number - a thirty two (32) digit number, which can also contain alfa numeric characters.

If the processor recognises the returned code number, it then allows the starter motor, fuel pump and/or fuel injection systems to function, and allow the vehicle to start. A common sign of a faulty or absent transponder is that the vehicle will start but will only run for a few seconds.

As suggested recently, it is the processor/interrogator module that is programmed with which key is allowed start privileges. The transponder chip is only an identification number for the key in which it is embedded. Interestingly, the amount of time it takes to start, send and stop the transmission of the code number is a factor as to whether the processor will accept the code.

The main players in transponder technology seem to be Philips, Texas Instruments and Megamos, which each have their own idiosyncrasies regarding replacement keys and such.

Some transponder keys can be duplicated using reader/encoding hardware and software and writable transponder chips. Others have to be introduced (programmed) into the processor/Interrogator to be functional.

Several key blank manufacturers, Silca in particular, are devoting a considerable amount of R&D into transponder technology to enable the locksmith industry to offer a viable service to customers who's vehicles have transponder immobilisers fitted. With the exception of BMW, Mercedes, Volvo and a few Euros' using "crypto" or rolling code transponders, the 'average locksmith' is able to provide key duplication, and generation in some cases, on a competitive basis without manufacturer or dealer involvement.

Some systems require the use of a 'learning key' to program additional keys - Honda and some Euros.

Toyota use a master (black head) and sub master key (grey head) system, similar to their mechanical valet key system. The valet/sub master will operate door and ignition locks and start the vehicle but cannot be used to introduce new key to the vehicle. The master key is used in conjunction with a series of ignition on/off cycles and opening and closing of the door to introduce new keys. - sounds strange but it's true !

Ford , in Australia at least, are very easy if you have a working key. For a lost key it is more time consuming than anything.

Mitsubishi and Isuzu require use of a "dealer only module" and their universal diagnostic tool - the hand held 'computer screen' that they plug into the vehicle for diagnostics.

If a customer presents with a broken key, it is possible to duplicate or generate a new key using a normal key blank and then hold the broken key's head close to the ignition cylinder to allow the vehicle to start. Another method is to carefully remove the transponder chip from the key head and epoxy the chip to the key. Of course using the correct OEM or transponder key blank is the ideal solution.

Having two transponder keys on the same key ring or in close proximity to the ignition cylinder when starting the vehicle can cause both keys to emit their codes at the same time, and cause the processor/interrogator to fail to accept either code. - corrupt data so to speak. As to whether having a "toll road transponder" interfere with vehicle immobiliser, it is possible..but unlikely as the "toll transponder" would probably operate at a different frequency.

Some of the immobilisers can be disabled by use of the vehicle system diagnostic tool, but I feel that this function is for diagnostics rather than disabling the immobiliser completely.

As for the 'lost key problem at midnight on a Friday night', well...because the technology is fairly new and the manufacturers are being VERY protective of the information on bypassing the systems, I can't offer much insight.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 28-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

I used to work at a auto repair business next to a supermarket. The supermarket had one parking bay right at the front door. They also had some door opener or phone system that would stop any Jeep Cherokee that parked in that bay from starting. Took us a while to work out what was happening but it only affected Jeep Cherokees and only if they parked in that bay. They would crank, but not start. Push them away and all was good. If the owners asked for help politely, we'd explain what was going on with the transponder, if they ranted and carried on with " I hope you know what you're doing!!" we let their cars sit in the workshop a while and charged them $60.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:24 AM
STI Master

slappy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpreza
Can't remember the name of the place but it's opposite the BP in the complex on the corner of Main & Royal in Ozzy Pk, they are much cheaper for remotes/keys than anyone else, look in the yellow pages under Locksmith on Main st & give them a ring.
Diamond Lock & Key
1/ 227 Main St Osborne Park WA 6017
ph: (08) 9344 1965

They said they can make keys with the transponders for $150, you wont have keyless entry though
Old 01-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappy
Diamond Lock & Key
1/ 227 Main St Osborne Park WA 6017
ph: (08) 9344 1965

They said they can make keys with the transponders for $150, you wont have keyless entry though
Hmmm interesting. I went in there to recode some locks a few months ago. They scanned my key and said it was a philips? transponder and they cant do them. This is for 98 wrx though and they dont have the keyless entry on the key. Perhaps the later models are a different transponder.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

If it's only a spare key that's not too bad compared to $300 or more.
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Ashley electrical do remote transmitters for most cars at around half the cost of OEM.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 02-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Flat Four Father

NVRENUF at standard level

yeah its the whole encoding side of things too. not just the remote fob.

I would just get the subaru one to be honest. I would just like the genuine key.

But another vote for diamond lock and key they cut and had the top half to a key for my brother in law 09 ss ute, and we took it to holden to get the bottom half and code it in.

and they deleted the lost one out of the computer.
Old 24-06-2012, 01:22 PM
STI Master

TheDoctor at standard level

I just got a spare transponder key made up for my MY99 WRX as I was only given one when I bought the car (the person I bought it off had lost the other key).

I got my new spare made up in under an hour by Cobbler Plus in Joondalup Mall. The new key locks and unlocks the doors and starts the car. It cost me $189.00

They are one of the kiosks in the main atrium area of the mall.

Tags
key, replacement