Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Flow test and spray patterns are far different things though. Im not saying they dont pattern well but i wanna see it.
Old 30-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Subaru Tech Division

SCOOTER at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSGT View Post
Flow test and spray patterns are far different things though. Im not saying they dont pattern well but i wanna see it.
Same. I've never seen a decapped injector in a test bed. I reckon at full flow there would be no issues, but down low they might be shithouse!
Old 30-12-2010, 08:33 PM

mARC at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Haven't got pics, but I had mine flow tested to ensure they were 816cc. No issues with flow patterns.
Where and what did this cost?
Old 30-12-2010, 09:11 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

huey at standard level

http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/...ight=Flow+test

some pics of de-caps being flow tested here
Old 30-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Won't let me in. Not a member
Old 30-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Subaru Tech Division

joey89 at standard level
Send a message via MSN to joey89

go with the 3076 every man and his dog goes td06

guys on rexnet getting good results with the 3076 both stock posi and twist mount
Old 30-12-2010, 10:03 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

huey at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOOTER View Post
Won't let me in. Not a member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJM
To decap these injectors all you need is a dremel, a steady hand and a few minutes. I started by lightly clamping the injectors in a plastic jawed vice with the strainer facing horizontally towards me. With a cutting blade in the dremel (like a mini angle grinder) I ran a cut around the outside edge of the tip. You have to be careful not to cut too deep as the strainer is extremely thin. Once the cut is all the way around the "cap" falls off. After a quick tidy up and smooth off the first highflow injector was done.

The decapped injector is on the left:

With 8 decapped injectors in hand I took myself off to Fueltech Automotive. Big thanks to Pete and the boys for letting me loose on their injector flow bench. Fuel pressure was initially set at 35psi. First off we checked the flow by simulating 32ms injector timing and simulated 1600rpm. The photo gives a good idea of the spray pattern from the newly highflowed injectors.

Notice there is only 7 injectors fitted - well it turns out somebody had lost the 8th injector boss.

I'm no expert so I can't say for sure if these flows are what should be expected but I'm sure someone will let me know soon enough. According to the boys the spray pattern is a little "fluffy" but not as bad as they have seen from some other injectors.

Next up was the all important flow test. The test bench has a setting for flow testing and some graduated tubes for reading off the flow. This is where the fun started. The test bench has adjustable fuel pressure but the test cycle is locked at 15 seconds.

I hit the start button and was totally amazed to find that each injector had flowed roughly the same amount, the biggest problem was they had only flowed roughly 112mL each. Now if an injectors flows 112mL in 15 sec then it flows 448cc per minute. I was astounded, I thought decapping was supposed to increase the flow when these things are 440cc to start.

Not being able to believe the results I decided to repeat the test. This time I watched the pressure gauge and noticed it was dropping to around 18psi. Now that makes more sense. The injcetors now flow as much as 18psi as a stock injector at 35psi.

It turns out the flow bench isn't made for testing such high flow injectors. The pump simply couldn't keep up with the flow no matter how hard I tried. The decision was made to run one injector at a time.

After disconnecting six of the seven injectors I started the test again. This time the graduated vessel overflowed after just 5 seconds of testing. When the injectors are run a fair amount of foam is made on the surface of the liquid. I believe this is something to do with the liquid the machine uses.

The fuel pressure was then reduced to 30psi to give a slight reduction in flow to hopefully let me test each injector. Because the flow bench has a fixed 15 sec test cycle I was forced to hand time a 5 sec cycle. The machine times down automatically but I stopped it manually so it didn't overflow - once stopped the machine displays the test cycle time as a whole second value. This means I could be testing anwhere from 4.5-5.5 sec and still display 5 sec. As a result my overall flow figures are just ballpark numbers.

Injector #1 - 66mL in 5 sec - 792cc
Injector #2 - 67.5mL in 5 sec - 810cc
Injector #3 - 66.5mL in 5 sec - 798cc
Injector #4 - 64mL in 5 sec - 760cc (I think these results are a mistake)
Injector #5 - 67mL in 5 sec - 804cc
Injector #6 - 67mL in 5 sec - 804cc
Injector #7 - 66mL in 5 sec - 792cc
Injector #8 - 66mL in 5 sec - 792cc

Looking back at the results we can see there is a spead of 50cc from least to most. Based on these poor figures there is 5.6% variation across all 8 injectors.

Once all the serious stuff was done I decided I'd wind the pressure up a bit. Thinking about it, most people are quite happy to run 15psi through their motors so I got to thinking 35psi base pressure + 15psi boost pressure gives a rail pressure of 50psi. What would these bad boys flow

A 5 sec test showed a flow of 79mL or a total flow of 948cc

That got me thinking - what if I wanted to run 20psi boost??? So the fuel pressure was increased to 55psi but a 5 sec test was enough to overflow the 130mL graduated tubes . After a little juggling I settled on a 3 sec test giving 58mL or a massive total flow of around 1160cc

I've had fun, hopefully it's been a good read and hopefully it helps someone out.

Old 31-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Subaru Tech Division

That's an interesting write up. Not too sure on the patterns, they look a bit all over the place. I'd like to see some back to back testing with non decaps. I guess the decaps would work fine, but maybe not as good as newly purchaced ones???
Old 31-12-2010, 08:37 AM

BALISTC knows their stuff

Compare them to the spray patterns of some Sard injectors and you'll probably want to go with the decaps.

Think garden hose.. minimal atomisation. Thats what some Sards do, especially a lot of the 650cc ones. They are super inconsistent.
Old 31-12-2010, 08:56 AM

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTC View Post
Compare them to the spray patterns of some Sard injectors and you'll probably want to go with the decaps.

Think garden hose.. minimal atomisation. Thats what some Sards do, especially a lot of the 650cc ones. They are super inconsistent.
Have you seen this? Got any links? I have sards and want to go back to stock sti inj.

Tags
click, gt3076r, mount, my00, std, turbo