Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Subaru Tech Division

karina2009 is unrated

^is there something I can do myself to see if that is the issue?? or only subaru? I'm due for a service, is it worth getting them to do this or would I be getting ripped by going to Subaru?

also If i was to replace the battery, because of the brant do I need to get Subaru to do it?
Old 19-01-2011, 07:36 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Dr_Rock at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by karina2009 View Post

also If i was to replace the battery, because of the brant do I need to get Subaru to do it?
No, just go to K-mart or Big W or Supercheap/Malz and buy a battery (they have a book which tells you the battery model you need for your car), all you need is a shifter.
Just do not touch the positive and negative terminals of either batteries at the same time, especially with anything metal.
Old 19-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Subaru Tech Division

karina2009 is unrated

it wont reset the brant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Rock View Post
No, just go to K-mart or Big W or Supercheap/Malz and buy a battery (they have a book which tells you the battery model you need for your car), all you need is a shifter.
Just do not touch the positive and negative terminals of either batteries at the same time, especially with anything metal.
Old 19-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

AJAYJAY at standard level

it will reset the brant...

wen i hooked up my sound system, i had to remove the negative terminal, wen i reconnect the battery the alarm went off
Old 19-01-2011, 08:16 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

oneten at standard level

All in all the Brant keypad alarm system is actually a very good system, but it does tend to draw a lot of current. If leaving your car for more than a week at at a time between starts I would be disconnecting the battery to avoid flats, or even Low voltage as the Brant WILL NOT function if the batt is below ~11v ish. Mine went flat after 2.5 weeks.

In regards to the heat, I think you will find the cause is not so much the Brant unit itself but the cars battery not holding a charge as efficiently or as long as it does in less stupidly hot days - hence the Brant playing silly buggers at low voltage again.

If you have basic auto elec skills the Brant is piss easy to remove yourself, just time and a bit of know how, alternately id be happy to do it for anyone close to craigie for a small fee.

Good luck
Old 19-01-2011, 08:19 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

oneten at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAYJAY View Post
it will reset the brant...

wen i hooked up my sound system, i had to remove the negative terminal, wen i reconnect the battery the alarm went off
This is perfectly normal, most good alarms do this intentionally incase some bastard is trying to skirt your alarm system by removing batt power then breaking in or whatever. Just gotta be ready with keys to disarm when you reconnect the batt
Old 19-01-2011, 08:39 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Dr_Rock at standard level

Quote:
it wont reset the brant
Karina, read what I quoted in my previous post. I was commenting only on battery replacement.
Old 19-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

Quote:
^is there something I can do myself to see if that is the issue?? or only subaru? I'm due for a service, is it worth getting them to do this or would I be getting ripped by going to Subaru?

Don't bother replacing the battery. I did it on mine when i was trying to diagnose my car - didn't make any difference. If you car is reading 13.7v - 14v it's normal.

You really want to remove the brant in it's entirety and replace it with a new system.
Old 20-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

The whole system is very temperamental. Sometimes when replacing the battery, if done quickly, no reset is needed. But, if the battery in the alarm keypad module is weak, the car will most likely need a mastercode reset. If you swap the battery quickly, like straight away, it should be fine.
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i