Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree306Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Subscribing to this. Nauli is right, you have officially gone the wrong way about this.

ASG are reputable and have been around a long time and from what I have seen are extremely reasonable, reliable and honest guys.
ImPreSiV, REXXXED, TROLLEY and 1 others like this.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceman1991 View Post
i got a power fc installed and tuned at asg two weeks ago. It drove fine for a couple of days and then it would start but die straight away. I got it towed to asg. They put the stock ecu back in and the car now works. They also tested my power fc on another car and said it was working fine.

Any ideas on what i would need to do to get the power fc working in my car again? Could there be a faulty sensor. Asg said they could go through the wiring but would charge me by the hour and i dont have heaps of cash to play with at the moment.

Any ideas or input would help cheers
Quote:
ok guys this has gotten fairly controversial..

Basically the story is i got a power fc installed and tuned at asg which cost me $500 and made 241 hp on their dyno

it worked for 4 days before it wouldn't start. The rac came out and said it was either ignition switch or immobilizer. I had an auto sparky mate come and and said the ignition switch was fine, i then removed the immobilizer myself. The car still wouldn't start.

I then got it towed back to asg. Where they plugged in the stock ecu and the car started running. They then tried my power fc on a different car and said it worked fine. They said the wiring in my car was probably faulty somewhere and if i wanted them to start looking it would be something like 120 and hour. After just spending 1200 on buying the power fc and tune i was broke and couldn't afford this as it could have taken many hours until they found the problem.

I started this exact thread to which mao pm'd me to bring it in. I then drove it on the stock ecu to evolutionr. Where mao stated that asg had tuned it on a faulty afm. Which he then replaced and retuned.

Results are here: http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/evolutio...%24poa-39.html
Quote:
i then sent the following email to asg this morning:

Hi guys my name is rhys i got my power fc tuned and installed into my red gc8 wrx there about a month and a half ago. This cost me $500

it wasn’t running as smooth as i had hoped, it lasted for about 4 days before the car cut out on me and i had to get it towed back in. You guys then put the stock ecu back in, but said the power fc worked fine on another vehicle, and there must be a wiring issue with my car.

I decided i would take it elsewhere as i wasn’t happy with the service that you provided. After inspection by another workshop i was told that the car had been tuned with a faulty air flow meter. I have no idea how you guys didn’t pick up on this before you tuned it as the air/fuel ratio wouldn’t have been correct. After replacing the air flow meter. Here are the results of the first power run on the tune that you guys done.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/...r/dsc05854.jpg

177.6 hp and 227.43 nm torque which is nowhere near the power it should be making based on similar vehicles with the same modifications.

I then spent another $450 at the other workshop on a retune as yours was done so poorly. This is the graph after the re-tune.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/...r/dsc05857.jpg

as you can see 264.2 hp and 344 nm torque. This is where the vehicle should have been at when i got it initially tuned with you guys.

For this i am requesting a refund of the price of the tune (not including installation ) as the service was not up to standard.

This should be a reasonable request, as per the information on this website

refund or cancel service - consumer protection - department of commerce

thanks. I look forward to hearing your reply. Rhys
Quote:
i just recieved the following reply and forwarded to mao at evolution r:

1 - your car arrived to us to see why it wasnt running with stripped wires hanging out of the dash everywhere which i told you and you agreed needed to be cleaned up. Obviously between us tuning it and you bringing it back someone or yourself has pulled it apart and done whatever looking for an issue or perhaps creating one. Your car didn't run so we plugged in the stock ecu and it ran. Then we plugged your power fc into another car to check and it ran. This took 10 minutes to do and you were then advised of this and we suspected a wiring issue as both ecus were ok and your cars wiring was a mess. Due to our current work load we were not in a position to fix this and you towed it away. Whether it was the wiring or not i don't know as we never went that far with the diagnosis.

2 - if your car did have an afm failure it was after the tune as it would have failed somewhere between the moment you picked it up on the 15th of october and 3 weeks later (not 4 days) november 5th when you towed it in for us to look at.

3 - looking at your 177hp curve i would guess that it has been run up with the boost turned down to give a low power/torque figure. This is typical of evolution r but not very smart as obviously we have records of the last run done on our dyno. The curve is unusually smooth for a car tuned with a faulty afm. If we tuned it with a faulty afm it would be so rich or lean it wouldn't rev with new afm. It would be interesting to see the boost/afr power curve of the "177hp" run.

4 - attached is the chart from the last run done on our dyno. You will see that it made 241hp and 314nm - bit different to 177hp and 227nm. There is also a mixtures chart showing afm working correctly at the time of tuning.

5 - your new tune also appears to be about 500rpm laggier. Have you changed anything or is it just tuned poorly? It appears you would be running more boost due to the peaky torque curve which would explain a difference in the peak figures.

Look forward to receiving furthur documentation from evor regarding this.

Feel free to forward this to all parties/communities involved in this argument inc public communities you have mentioned

thanks

nic

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/...waafrboost.jpg

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/...owertorque.jpg

qft
ImPreSiV and RUSSGT like this.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Sir AntiLag

MadDocker at standard level

Agreed that he has gone about this the wrong way but I do not understand the "don't let anyone know about bad experiences with Perth workshops" mentality.

He wasn't happy with what happened, posted the details for others to read over and that's it.
Sonic likes this.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Dak Dak Boom!

BOMB3R is a guruBOMB3R is a guru

LOL just LOL! As Nauli said this is no way to air your grievances. In saying that Nic's reply has EvoR looking a little silly which is becoming common so this should run it's course for the time being.

From everything I read and hear about on these forums I am not sure why you did not wait until ASG could fit you in.
DAN682 and muggz like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
365hp and 515nm

New Beast to arrive April 2015 - 365hp, 450nm, 0-100 in 4.4sec. AMG Goodness!
Old 03-12-2012, 03:36 PM
STI Master

reconus at standard level

Poor form ..

I'd have doubts over my car before i have doubts over the work from ASG, especially if it's a car as old as that GC8
muggz likes this.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:11 PM
STI Master

riceman1991 at standard level

posted up so if people are getting their car tuned they can decide for themselves where they take their car. As i have no spent $1750 getting a second hand power fc installed and tuned, which is fucked.

And yes i have contacted both workshops but in regards to all the dyno graphs i have no idea what any of it means. hence why i also posted up on here, hoping that people may be able to shed some light and help me as to who i should be going to for a refund. As somebody has fucked up and tried to jipp me.

The reason i didnt take my car back to asg is because when i had my 06 sti and got it verso tuned, and couple of months later it started stuttering, this was also the afm and they tried to charge me 800+ for it and nic got pissed off at me when i told him to take it off because i didnt have that much money. I ended up ordering it online for 150.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:24 PM
STI Master

riceman1991 at standard level

I forwarded the email to evolution R. Recieved a reply and sent the following back to asg:

1 – The stripped wires were from the immobilizer when I removed it, I left them there all taped up neatly as to aid the reinstallation of a different immobilizer after the issue is fixed. I had to remove the immobilizer as the RAC thought that was the problem when it wouldn’t start. The wiring had nothing to do with the ecu, you should have been able to see that.

2- The car was tuned on the 15th of october and it wouldn’t start on the morning of the 20th, this is when it was towed back to my house. Where I then removed the immobilizer. After it still wouldn’t start I had an auto electrician come out and test everything. They said it was something to do with the ecu and to tow it back to where it was tuned. I was then overseas for the 26th to the 4th and got it towed to you straight away.

3, 4 & 5- I cannot comment about as I don’t understand enough about the tuning process. I forwarded your email on to evolution R and this is the response:

Hi Rhys,

The power run of 177hp was done after replacing the faulty AFM with the
Power FC installed. Tune was untouched when we did the power run, after
which we tuned it.

How hard is it to watch the AFM voltages and mixtures and diagnose.
Further to that, the turbo restrictor was also on the wrong side of the
T-piece.

We are not here to slander ASG but to inform you honestly of the work
that had been done. I personally do not know anyone at ASG but to be
told it is typical of us to fudge figures is an insult as we are not
acquainted in anyway, especially after the work you have received from
them.

Your wiring was everywhere but only on the driver's side which had
nothing to do with the ecu.

Kind regards,
Mao
Old 03-12-2012, 04:41 PM