Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-07-2013, 07:26 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Sookie at standard level
Default Mechanical Clunk on Take off? 2012

Hi,

I've done some searching and managed to find Perth WRX

I have a 2012 WRX that has done about 20,000km.

On take off last wednesday in the wet I decided to test out how good launching in the wet is... sounds fun right?

After take off (clutch to 3-4k rpm) drop clutch and go, the front of the car makes a loud clunk clunk clunk probably 0.5 second apart that sounds like I've just run over a length of steel.

I thought this was odd... so I did it again in the dry... it happened again, not as severe.

Tried some lower rpm take offs...no problems.

I believe the issue is that whenever I get the front wheels slipping, it makes the clunk...

Now I might be just full retard, but is this normal? I called subaru osbourne park after it was wet and happened and they didn't say too much about it.

Any ideas? It only happens when traction control is off.
Old 19-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
Hi,

I've done some searching and managed to find Perth WRX

I have a 2012 WRX that has done about 20,000km.

On take off last wednesday in the wet I decided to test out how good launching in the wet is... sounds fun right?

After take off (clutch to 3-4k rpm) drop clutch and go, the front of the car makes a loud clunk clunk clunk probably 0.5 second apart that sounds like I've just run over a length of steel.

I thought this was odd... so I did it again in the dry... it happened again, not as severe.

Tried some lower rpm take offs...no problems.

I believe the issue is that whenever I get the front wheels slipping, it makes the clunk...

Now I might be just full retard, but is this normal? I called subaru osbourne park after it was wet and happened and they didn't say too much about it.

Any ideas? It only happens when traction control is off.
It doesn't sound right...the car is a 2012 with 20K...so still under warranty.
Take it in to a dealer and get it checked and rectified...if Subaru OP don't want to talk to you take it to City Subaru...
Old 19-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Sookie at standard level

Yeah that's what I assumed it doesn't sound right but it's only really happening under load...so not considered day to day driving?

I'm going to check my air pressure on my tyres..

What could it be though? Centre diff locking?

It's due for a service (taking it tomorrow to my mechanic) and I thought maybe I'll ask him to look at xyz but I don't know what to tell him
Old 19-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

G'day Sookie,

Are you sure your traction control is completely off? In my '10STI there are three modes.

1. Normal - default when you turn on ignition, all safety systems ON.

2. One push of the traction button and the dash light turns green - this is partial shut down of VDC and as far as I can remember - pretty sure traction remains ON.

3. Hold traction button for three seconds till dash light turns orange, this is total shut down of VDC and traction control ( fully sick mode ) only ABS remains. ABS cannot be turned off.

The reason I ask is because ocasionally I forget to set correctly and when traction control goes off it can be a fairly brutal interruption to forward motion and can make a fair clunk at the front of the car when it misfires and takes all the torque away from the transmission. If you have it set correctly disregard this entire post.

Good luck with it. If it's still a problem take it to a Subaru dealer and demonstrate it to them with a mechanic in the car with you. As already mentioned your car is under warranty. Subaru Wangara have always been very helpful with me and I didn't even buy my STI from them.

P.S. Disregard most of the above as I just read my owner manual and WRX is a one push operation only the STI has the extra modes.

Cheers.

Last edited by nick73; 19-07-2013 at 09:22 AM. Reason: etc etc....
Old 19-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Sookie at standard level

Hi Nick :-)

With the WRX I've tried to do the green light / orange light but I only ever seem to get just the orange light (maybe it's a WRX vs STi thing).

Orange light s on and it's all good but I believe what your saying with the interuption nad clunk that sounds like what exactly is happening when I take off..only when the wheels are losing grip (all 4).

I'll see how we go but it really is odd...

Old 19-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Sounds like normal driveline load of dropping the clutch really.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 19-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
Sounds like normal driveline load of dropping the clutch really.
Yeah I would probably agree depending on the type of noise/clunk we are talking about.
WRX doesn't have the active centre diff so I don't know what they feel like when they're being leaned on.
The front of my Betty can hop and skip around a bit but usually only on hard corner exits when it has some lean angle, but no noises though just feedback through the steering wheel.
Old 19-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Sookie at standard level

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...59720595028686

hard to hear it as my phone slides around but this gives you an example.

I get jittering with the steering on very hard corners (and quick) when it looks like just losing traction on the front..

If it is driveline and dropping clutch etc etc...is this doing it damage?

What can I do to prevent this if that's the case (not stopping doing it, but is there a correct method?)
Old 19-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...59720595028686

hard to hear it as my phone slides around but this gives you an example.

I get jittering with the steering on very hard corners (and quick) when it looks like just losing traction on the front..

If it is driveline and dropping clutch etc etc...is this doing it damage?

What can I do to prevent this if that's the case (not stopping doing it, but is there a correct method?)
That doesn't sound normal to me. Depending on how much of that was phone noise and car noise. To be honest I have only tried lunching my Betty a few times and I wont be doing it again as the smell of clutch and the overall experience tells me that this type of technique will definitely fuck your near new car in no time.

Off to your local Subaru dealer would be my suggestion.

Last edited by nick73; 19-07-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 19-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Sookie at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick73 View Post
That doesn't sound normal to me. Depending on how much of that was phone noise and car noise. To be honest I have only tried lunching my Betty a few times and I wont be doing it again as the smell of clutch and the overall experience tells me that this type of technique will definitely fuck your near new car in no time.
Yeah its a weird shunting noise..doesn't really stop the car too much but does remind me of the engine or drive slipping due to a restriction in power...all from the wheels spinning quick.

The clutch burning used to happen until about 12,000 as it was being run in...now even dropping it doesn't smell which is good...but this noise...is pretty fkd

Tags
2012, clunk, mechanical