Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Scoobie Noobie

KNGSTI at standard level
Default Issue with Brant on start up?

I've been having an intermittent with my 06 STi which still has the Brant fitted. I turn the ignition on, input my code & then go to start but it fails to do anything (ie; won't turn over) - I've noticed that I get a 'click' prior to being able to start the car (Brant module?). I have to wait for the click when it doesn't start or even turn the ignition off 5+ times before I get the 'click'.

Am I on the right track? Have many come across this issue?

**Insert Brant rage here**
Old 29-12-2014, 01:02 PM
STI Master

dnbosiris at standard level

The click your referring to might be the fuel pump priming. It's more of a bzzz though. Unless you hear that noise the car won't start. Brant issues are very, very common. I know evo R in Bentley has helped people with Brant issues either by ripping it out and installing am auto watch system or by trying to diagnose the faulty sensor. Might be worth giving him a call.
Old 29-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

The click is probably the relay in the Brant control module, as you have suggested .. heard it before when mine farked me over.
Old 29-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Hurtenstein at standard level

Yeah. There's three relays in the brant module. Sometimes they click, but don't actually close the contacts on it.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:02 AM
Scoobie Noobie

KNGSTI at standard level

Thanks for the responses guys, what are the modules worth to replace and how much work is involved? Contemplating removing it all together...
Old 04-02-2015, 07:48 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Top-Deck at standard level

As was said earlier, EvoR can remove/raplace whatever (not dealt with them so not 100% sure...) but another option is STechnic. I had pretty much the same problem where the fuel pump relay wasn't working properly, so took it to STechnic and they hardwired the fuel pump relay so it starts with ignition but left the other 2 relays in place, so that the keypad still works and immobiliser is still active. Best of both worlds as it was cheap (about $150 from memory), the car starts every time now and the security is still there
Old 04-02-2015, 10:38 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

grape juice at standard level

I've had the same problem.

There is a brant module sits under panelling on the drivers side centre console. It has 3 relays.

The first relay controls the unarming of the system. the second sends power to the ignition to actually turn the car over. The third controls the fuel pump.

I begun to have issues with mine after a week here are you're the options.

1) replace system with a new alarm (most people opt for autowatch and the like cost $500 ish for pull out and new)

2) look up on youtube the DIY to bridge the relay permanently (need solder experience, but worth trying if you're considering ripping it out anyways. and cost is $0. This is what is talked about above.

3) I done this for my fault and it worked for me and has worked for other people. If you are sitting in the drivers seat The module (if it is the cause) is located under the panelling near you left ankle. Kind of inline the with gearstick. Give that a bit of a bang in that area and see if you have any improvements.

I legit thought this was a complete load of shit. But I would have issues 2/3 times a week and when it wouldn't start up it would take half an hour to work.

Since using this trick amount 2 months ago, the car hasn't started on 3 occasions. On each occasion hitting that area caused the car to start next turn. Saved me a lot of fucking around and money replacing a system that works 99% of the time.

"All in relation to nothing. Nothing in relation to infinity. A central point to both, And infinitely far from understanding either."

Last edited by grape juice; 04-02-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Tags
brant, issue, start