Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-02-2015, 11:47 PM
Scoobie Noobie

swingy at standard level
Default CAM Shaft Tuning

Hi All,

This has been asks on another forum, but got no replies. Hopefully i might get a response here.....

Just having some trouble finding someone that is able to help with tuning in my kelford 272 Cams, these have been in the motor about 3 years ago then taken out for this very reason (Company couldn't tune them in - apparently). Recently I have had the car remotely tuned by someone in NZ. This tuner said that he has tuned and is willing to tune the cams in remotely. Which is fine, but would rather a dyno tune.

Just wondering if anyone has had Cams tuned on a dyno, prefer WA.

Quick run down of my car -
ADM 2008 STi- Stage 2 Closed deck bottom end (Billet rods, forged pistons, hardened race bearings, machined and balanced), Hi-Volume oil pump, Hyperflow CAI, AVO TMIC, Full 3" Greddy Exhaust, Aquamist HFS3-v2 PWM valve system with a 0.6mm jet. The fuel pump has been upgraded as well.

I recently purchased the following from -

DeatschWerks Bosch EV14 Fuel Injectors Top Feed 1000cc, Equal Length Exhaust Manifold/Headers with HEAT COATING, Blouch RBK Dominator 1.5XTR Turbo

I am going to remove the engine transport it to Perth (I live 1600kms north) and have someone install the CAMS, install the above gear myself. Then have it tuned......I have had a few responses from WA workshops, basically saying to leave the Cams out, the car has variable timing and this is enough blah blah....

If anyone can point me in the right direction to a workshop that has done Cam Shaft Tuning, it would be appreciated!

Thanks
Old 17-02-2015, 09:02 AM
Flat Four Father

seagull knows their stuff

Clearances will need to be set on the buckets for the cams.
There are no issues with running these cams. I have sold many sets over the years and overseen the installs.

As your running the aquamist system this may be a bigger issue than the cams. I had this has scared a few off.

Contact ASG and ask to speak to Sean direct.
matto20v likes this.
Old 18-02-2015, 05:59 AM
Scoobie Noobie

swingy at standard level

Hi Seagull,

Thanks for the reply, will give Sean a call.

The Aquamist kit was one of the best mods i have done, stopped all pinging on 95 and dropped IAT massively.

Thanks
Old 18-02-2015, 09:33 AM
STI Master

Jacob92 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
Clearances will need to be set on the buckets for the cams.
There are no issues with running these cams. I have sold many sets over the years and overseen the installs.

As your running the aquamist system this may be a bigger issue than the cams. I had this has scared a few off.

Contact ASG and ask to speak to Sean direct.
Plus one for sean he tuned my 274/278 cams very well 👍
I also run avcs heads

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

Last edited by Jacob92; 18-02-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old 18-02-2015, 12:25 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

ratpack at standard level

Ben??
Old 18-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Flat Four Father

seagull knows their stuff

I recall speaking to you when I was working for a shop in Perth early last year.
I have moved on since then. I would be one of many here keen to see the spray system set up you have done. If you have some photos would be appreciated.

Thanks Neil
Old 18-02-2015, 07:43 PM
Scoobie Noobie

swingy at standard level

Hey Ratpack - yep it is Ben, who are you?

Seagull, I have uploaded some photo's of the install to my album - you should be able to access this?
I had the help from a a mate for the custom tank. Pretty happy with the whole job.
It is set up so that if the tank runs dry or faults the car will go into LIMP mode. Which is noticeable when the tank runs dry! Usually have to top up the distilled water tank (8.4L) every second fuel refill.

Thinking of putting an Aquamist set up on my DID Pajero.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:50 PM
Scoobie Noobie

swingy at standard level

Thanks All, ASG will be doing the work.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:30 PM
Scoobie Noobie

swingy at standard level

So,
ASG received motor and CAM Shafts, it would appear that the last workshop the car was at - when the short block and CAMS were installed have balls it all up. CAM shafts are scored - to the stage that Sean isn't happy to install them (these were in the car for about a week, company who installed them couldn't tune them so had to remove and put the standard ones back. Then still had issues with the standard ones, turned out to be # 4 Spark plug had broken ceramic and was breaking down when coming on boost).
I won't name them, but I am amazed at how they make any money at all - they had my car for 9 months and made a complete mess. One example: The release shaft for the clutch was half out, as the hexagonal plug was not put back....

Suffice to say I am extremely disappointed......

Anyway, moving on. Can these CAM shafts be salvaged or should they be thrown in the bin?
Also, were would be the best place to get some new ones if needed.

These are what I current have and would be chasing something similar if not the same -220-C Kelford Cams 272/268.

Thanks

Ben
Old 28-04-2015, 10:21 PM
Scoobie Noobie

swingy at standard level

Anyway, Sean and Nic @ ASG cleaned the CAMS up best they could. Couldn't be happier!

Now to get the engine back in and tuned by Allstar, where can I find information about the Verso tune? All I seem to come up with is threads on forums, do they have a web page?

Thanks

Tags
cam, shaft, tuning