Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level
Default Gen 3 liberty dual range problems

This topic is mostly aimed at members who are familiar with dual range subaru transmissions ...

After recently pulling the engine out and fixing the clutch and head gasket to my 1999 liberty, taking it for test drive has revealed that it wants to pop out of high range into neutral.
It seems to drive fine in low range.

Any idea what might be causing this? At this point I'm thinking the engine mounts & pitch stopper aren't tight enough.

Jeremy
Old 17-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

Sounds to me like a linkage problem pulling more toward low range, get underneath and have someone move from high to low and see if there is too much tension pulling high toward neutral.
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.
Old 17-05-2015, 10:22 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpreza View Post
Sounds to me like a linkage problem pulling more toward low range, get underneath and have someone move from high to low and see if there is too much tension pulling high toward neutral.

That's what I thought too... I unbolted the lever bracket without thinking and it must've messed with the tension somehow.

There's only one spring though, and I can't really see any adjustment... Apart from on top of the gbox in the engine bay.

I've been looking through my workshop manuals but can't seem to find anything related to the dual range box at all!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431872311.286714.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	14805Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431872404.519891.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	14806

Looking at the lever itself, there is only the one spring that looks like it's supposed to keep it in either position.
Old 18-05-2015, 11:40 AM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Found a similar thread on the issue here
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...6/topics/88579

I guess I will just play with the cable adjustment on the top of the gbox. It looks similar to a throttle cable adjustment.
Old 19-05-2015, 11:28 PM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

Or you could ask on http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/search...archid=1176970 just about everyone there has a hi/lo
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.
Old 30-07-2015, 04:03 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Update.

Have played with the adjustment of both the lever and the cable mounting on the gbox.
Upon testing, you can feel the gearbox/transfer case actually pulling itself out of gear and into neutral.

Stopped through Japline on my way through today (in their new workshop now) and Mick mentioned that he had seen a few of the dual range boxes with a similar issue. A common 'fix' for them was a bit of wire (think of a coat hanger) had been used to keep the mechanism from flicking into neutral. This may see me get by in the short run, but the wear of the synchros/bearings in the box will only get worse.

Will try the patch up for now, and have my eyes open for any cheap gearboxes (preferably not dual range lol) that will mate up to my existing setup.
Old 30-07-2015, 04:34 PM
STI Master

amtrapid knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
Update.

Have played with the adjustment of both the lever and the cable mounting on the gbox.
Upon testing, you can feel the gearbox/transfer case actually pulling itself out of gear and into neutral.

Stopped through Japline on my way through today (in their new workshop now) and Mick mentioned that he had seen a few of the dual range boxes with a similar issue. A common 'fix' for them was a bit of wire (think of a coat hanger) had been used to keep the mechanism from flicking into neutral. This may see me get by in the short run, but the wear of the synchros/bearings in the box will only get worse.

Will try the patch up for now, and have my eyes open for any cheap gearboxes (preferably not dual range lol) that will mate up to my existing setup.
What ratio box are you after Im pretty sure I have a spare 3.54 turbo 5 speed , the center diff had failed due to previous owner using wrong ratio rear diff. Ive already removed the rear housing with the shagged centre diff.
The box is in good condition and I have a spare rear housing with a good condition centre diff, I do have a spare 4.44 possibly as well ill have to check.

Last edited by amtrapid; 30-07-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 30-07-2015, 06:17 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrapid View Post
What ratio box are you after Im pretty sure I have a spare 3.54 turbo 5 speed , the center diff had failed due to previous owner using wrong ratio rear diff. Ive already removed the rear housing with the shagged centre diff.
The box is in good condition and I have a spare rear housing with a good condition centre diff, I do have a spare 4.44 possibly as well ill have to check.
I've also got a 3.54 wrx 5 speed with a busted 2nd gear, maybe if we put both together we could have a working box lol

I think I have a 3.54 r160 rear diff lying around somewhere too, but from memory it was marked to have a damaged spider gear.

Also have a 97 wrx rear diff I might be able to pinch, will have to check the ratio on that too.
Old 30-07-2015, 06:25 PM
STI Master

Let us know buddy

Sent from under my Dok Dok
Old 30-07-2015, 06:52 PM
STI Master

I have a couple of rear housings complete ,early and late 5 speed. I wonder if you can unbolt the rear transfer housing and if a awd center diff housing will bolt up?

That way you just keep your box. Or is it the syncros and bearings on the 5 speed part that are screwed or the transfer? You can remove the rear housing and center diff complete in the car have done it several times . Its a shit load easier than pulling the whole box.

Tags
dual, gen, liberty, problems, range