Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-01-2016, 09:34 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

shaunus at standard level
Default Hydrolocked :(

Morning everyone,

Well, the unthinkable happened! Monday evening it pelted down here in Kalgoorlie. An hour or so after the rain had stopped I decided to head out to go see a buddy who had flown in for Aus day. The streets were ok, nothing to signal I'd come across a lake in the middle of the road.

However, as I was heading over a railway crossing (uphill bridge) I got to the top and with nowhere else to go and no way of reversing or doing a U-turn I had to drive through a large puddle. Creeping through slowly to not agitate the water...well...the filter was submerged.

Being only at idle speed my thoughts were the hydrolock couldn't have been that bad. Had it towed straight to RAC's insurance contractor here in Kal and it has sat in their yard since. Went down this morning to collect a few items from the car that I needed and they informed me he has quoted up for the motor to be sent to Perth to be reconditioned. Said an assessment will be done tomorrow, assuming someone is flying up to come and look at it from RAC?

To add insult to injury by the time the tow truck came which was literally 20 minutes the puddle had gone! But he did say I wasn't the first that night and the police had done the same to one of their cars

I'm assuming they will just go the route of a new short block and repair any damages to the heads. He thinks the timing belt has let go. Either way, its fucked.

Has anyone ever been through this process with insurance? Outcomes? Will I need a re-tune? Any other input besides I shouldn't have been driving would be great haha.

Cheers,

Shaun

Tags
hydrolocked