Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-07-2007, 11:10 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Mister Two at standard level
Default Deathtraps to be sold for Austrlian Roads...

Chinese Car makers are going to be selling complete and utter crap to be used on Australian roads. When these things come out, If a cop ever gives me a yellow sticker for driving a car with a unsafe modification like no rubber pads on the pedals.... Ooooh, I'll give him an ear full.

I cant believe that the government would even allow these buckets of shit on our roads. Ssangyong was bad enough....

What do you guys think of these craptastic Chinese cars coming to Australia?

http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0...-21822,00.html

Quote:
The Brilliance BS6 scores one star in crash tests but will still go on sale in Australia.

New cars as cheap as $10,990 are about to zoom into the Australian market.

Chinese models will be leading the way and are expected to shake up the local motoring scene, the way Korean cars did in the 1990s and Japanese makes in the 1970s.

Budget-priced vehicles are also coming from India, Italy, Slovakia and the Czech Republic.

China has hundreds of car makers with names such as Chery, Geely, Great Wall Motor, Nanjing, Hafei, Zhongxing, Zhonghua, Brilliance China and Shanghai Automotive.

However, some of the Chinese models have fared poorly in European crash testing.

The Brilliance BS6 sedan got only one star out of a possible five when tested last month, while an SUV Landwind made by Jiangling Motors scored a zero.

It was the worst result in 20 years of testing.

Details of what Chinese makes will be released here are being kept secret by executives of the companies which will join the invasion.

The smaller Chinese cars are expected to start at $10,990.

Industry observers agree and expect the Chinese strategy will be for cars to be priced under their Korean equivalents, which have recently been as low as $12,990 in order to get a footing in the crowded market.

The arrival of the first Chinese-brand cars is being handled by Ateco Automotive, an independent importer which already brings in Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Citroen, Ferrari and Maserati.

The deal is being masterminded by Ric Hull, the executive involved in establishing all the major Korean brands including Hyundai, Daewoo and Kia in Australia.

Ateco spokesman Edward Rowe said Chinese cars could reach Australian showrooms by mid-2008. “We're still working on it. We're talking to specific companies but there is a confidentiality agreement in place,” he said.

Rowe says the plan was to start Chinese imports with small cars, then increase the range. “Ultimately there will be a full range of cars and commercial vehicles,” he said.

Chrysler has made a deal with Chery for a Chinese-made small car to be exported to the US and Canada.

An Indian brand Mahindra went on sale in NSW last month and plans to open a Queensland dealer network by September.

A spokeswoman said: “Talks are under way with a number of dealers. Queensland will be the next market for Mahindra, it's imminent.”

The brand is starting with the Pik-Up utility, diesel-engined “one-tonners” from $23,990 but the spokeswoman said they were 'exploring their options' to sell more models.

“There are other opportunities there, but we're concentrating on getting launched first.”

Czech-made Skoda cars last sold here 25 years ago and will return in October, with a five-seat mini-people-mover called the Roomster, and the Octavia lift-back.

Skoda head Matthew Wiesner said prices would be set against their Japanese equivalents, rather than at traditional European levels.

Last edited by Mister Two; 24-07-2007 at 11:13 PM.
Old 25-07-2007, 04:23 AM
Flat Four Father

muggz at standard level

bloody scary.. just clicked the mini links on the page and came across this.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landwind
that Land wind is the "Frontera" and oh my what a shocker
Old 25-07-2007, 05:46 AM
Subaru Tech Division

saturation at standard level

anyone see the youtube video at the bottom of the article ?

fuk me gives a whole new meaning to the words crumple zones. The A pillar just gives away like it was plastic, to say is shocking is an understatement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F06LjugtIUo
Old 25-07-2007, 07:03 AM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZWy_fASSiQ&NR=1

Long live the WRC
Old 25-07-2007, 07:11 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Fuck, that dashboard rising up in that crash test video reminds me of the crash tests back in the 50s and 60s, before collapsible steering columns were mandatory...the steering wheel would spear up and take out the drivers head!!
Old 25-07-2007, 07:18 AM
STI Master

Miggidy at standard level

That is bad... very very bad.

Man don't get me started on China.... emissions don't matter becuase they are a "developing" country. This is fucking so bad. I feel like starting a protest against this. seriously.
Old 25-07-2007, 07:28 AM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

Quote:
The car made headlines after German car club ADAC showed in its crash test, carried out for EuroNCAP, that a driver of this vehicle would not survive a head-on collision at 64 km/h (40 MPH).
holey mother of dog

listen at the ~13 second mark of staces, hear the laughter in the background
Old 25-07-2007, 07:30 AM
STI Master

Miggidy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by jEstEr?
holey mother of dog

listen at the ~13 second mark of staces, hear the laughter in the background
Now imagine a P-plater doing 5km/h over the limit on the fwy
Old 25-07-2007, 07:51 AM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

Looks like Barbagallo's will be selling these fine examples of automotive 'brilliance'!
Old 25-07-2007, 08:08 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Well, if these cars do make it to our shores and have such crap safety ratings, we all should have an outcry to our politicians on why they can allow such unsafe vehicles on our roads.

We get it pounded in our heads that 'dropping 5 saves lives'. How about we have vehicles that are safe on our roads?

I always thought it was about road safety and not revenue raising. Perfect example here if these cars make it out on our roads.

Tags
austrlian, deathtraps, roads, sold