Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
John - there is a big difference between saying the road is or isn't safe compared to condoning doing that speed.

The slightly older Tj would suggest you don't do it there. I still maintain that stretch is as safe as anywhere you will find on perths roads to give it a squirt. Once you clear roe there is 2km before you see another onramp. Plenty of time to get on it and then back off. There are no roadworks there and there are none coming up after it and you know it so your maybes are bullshit.

Your personal view is clouding the fact that a wrx is designed to do that speed and that road can handle it.

Like I said I still wouldn't recommend it these days.

End of the day neither of these two kids died so it says something. Actually I think the last death on that stretch of road was a motorbike rider who got squashed at low speed by a truck.
Lay down the crack.

My maybe's are bullshit? You drive this stretch daily at all hours? The amount of suprises I've had there at a 'safe' time of 2am is unreal.

The road can not handle it. Wake up, this isn't a road engineered like a German Autobahn. It's a piece of shit gravel road covered in some black tar.

I would also suggest you drive past and check how much road there is between on and off ramps. It would only be 1km. Now you think it is perfectly safe to blat down here at nearly twice the legal limit? Personally drive a few more kms south and have a blat between Russell and Anketell. That would be 100 times safer.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:18 AM
STI Master

scary knows their stuff

I think the biggest issue is that when alot of us were younger and doing silly shit the threahold at which the car let go was a lot lower hence the consequences were alot less. Now in a modern car ie all wheel drive wrx you can go around a corner at well over 60 and barely have the tail wag so to get the thrill or to even start understanding what the limits are, younger less experienced drivers are going faster when they get bitten and end up doing alot more damage.

P pleaters should drive cars without ABS, TC or power over 100KW simple as that. Make fuck ups in that car, run over curbs etc and some understanding of a cars dynamics at lower speed thresholds.

12.463 1/4 mile, not bad for an old school Liberty [DECEASED]

MY08 Liberty Tuned by STi
Old 09-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

I'm at a training course all day - so just reserving this post for a reply tonight.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

If it is to defend the actions of someone doing 180kmh in this spot, don't bother.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:13 PM

Nowhere have I defended his actions. Nowhere.

As said above I was at a training course today and will be all week. Its at IFAP Farrington Road - so not far from the area we are talking about. I took a quick drive after finishing for today.

From the point that Roe Hwy blends into Fwy south to the point the Berrigan Road offramp blends into Fwy South is not 1km. It is 2.4 - unless you expect a car to be heading down the off ramp at you? Then you are fucked doing 180 or 100.

Now a stock WRX, probably does what? 14.2/3 etc in the 92/5 mph region. So thats 140-50kmh in 400m. It still has 2km before its going to see any other potential traffic merging with it. It could hit 180, hit the brakes, stop, and do it all again. So accelerating from 100, you can imagine 180 isnt too far away.

This doesnt take away from road users going along the same bit of road already there - and yeah I agree, they shouldnt be bothered in this way. I however, cannot imagine that at 4am it would be a heavily ingested piece of road.

The road is smooth, and wide, with long range of visibility. Just been redone? Even better, tons of grip.

We have all done stupid shit. All of us. I am sure I can retell a few from senior forum members and owners around here.

And this is how my argument differs to others - I am in total agreeance that if you are caught, pay the price. Do I defend them, no.

What I wont do however, is cast these kids aside as child rapping drug dealing pieces of shit. Either some people here have short memories, or have been brainwashed by the mass media. It is a mistake lots of us have made growing up as fans of performance cars and choosing to enjoy them for what they were built for.

From that is what the brunt of my frustration comes from - this place is very quick to act all high and mighty, yet has members do participate in as much questionable shit as antilag for example. We just arnt weak enough to deny it.

Youll find our arguments are too far off John, its just the principles of people who stake claim to be holier than thou.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-01-2012, 06:44 PM
STI Master

fatboy at standard level

Quote:
Nowhere have I defended his actions. Nowhere.
True, below you don't come right out and say i am defending this bloke but the implied message here is that you condone it!

Quote:
So its risky - not stupid. The road is flat, wide, and open. Its 4am. There is no possibility of unexpected traffic entry - and if you hit the Berrigan Dr bridge doing 180, you can be back to 100 in an instant before the on ramp.

Better than doing 220 on North Lake Road at 3pm on a Sunday ... something I would never do these days. Funnily enough I was driving a perth wrx members car at the time

The guy was being stupid, he got caught, end of story!

Look up WA Trackdays on Facebook
Old 09-01-2012, 07:14 PM

Elrico at standard level

Quote:
Plenty of time to get on it and then back off. There are no roadworks there and there are none coming up after it and you know it so your maybes are bullshit.
Where do you mean? Because as John has stated, and i drove the road today, the topside of the tarmac has been ripped off and it has dropped a good 1". Somewhere after South St and Before berrigan i think.

Last edited by Elrico; 09-01-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Sir AntiLag

RamWRC at standard level

Sure the guy's a clown, but a teenager driving a wrx? The temptation is there and for most of us, especially the young ones, is too hard to control. I myself have gone "slightly over the limit", on a straight wide open stretch of country road with no one within miles and I would of called that a safe a road as any (at the time), but I do regret it. I know it was a ridiculous thing to do and I've learnt from it. A simple mistake considering I was inexperienced, could of cost not only my life but my best mates life as well. Never again.

I'm sure this guy and others like him will learn their lesson. If not, THEN we can start calling him, in the words of TJ, a "child rapping drug dealing piece of shit"

Anyway, I'd prefer them do excessive speed on a empty stretch of freeway at 4am, instead of the clowns weaving in and out of traffic at ridiculous speeds during the day.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
True, below you don't come right out and say i am defending this bloke but the implied message here is that you condone it!

The guy was being stupid, he got caught, end of story!
I agree with the second point.

As for the first, please re read my entire post where I said "a younger me" would have condoned it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-01-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrico View Post
Where do you mean? Because as John has stated, and i drove the road today, the topside of the tarmac has been ripped off and it has dropped a good 1". Somewhere after South St and Before berrigan i think.
Yeah I noticed it today also - I hadnt been that way in a week, normally down a couple of times a week.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
news, thread