Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 12:51 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

vivioman at standard level

Maybe they should just come up with an official list of cars that P-platers are allowed to buy and drive haha.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:26 PM
STI Master

Cooper89 at standard level

Thats F'd. I'm a P plater, and if i want to spend my money on a WRX, i bloody will. I spent 20 grand on my car and i dont intend on thrashing the shit out of it.

Like someone said its the other P platers and non P platers in crappy cars that do the hooning, they have lower profiles.

Well i have my car now so they cant take it off me.

Ash
Old 03-07-2008, 10:10 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

[MARZS] at standard level

it would be interesting to see some stats on the type of cars that are involved in crashes on our roads, and also the number of crashes that involve P-platers as well. i know young drivers make up a large % of the fatalities on the roads, but is it the same for crashes as well??
i think you would find that the majority of crashes involve soccer mums/dads and their commodores, falcoms and camerys.
maybe a better way to reduce the road toll with young drivers in mind would be to have them sit extra tests, such as driver training courses in order to be able to drive a specific car - driving course 1,2 and 3 completed allows you to purchase cars in group A, B or C...something along those lines
Old 03-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Subaru Tech Division

lebrunt at standard level

so make certain levels that you have to pass before you can buy a car in that level?? who would pay for these courses ?? and who would make sure people are driving the right leveld car would just make performance cars be pulled over so they can check if we had the right courses passed .....
Old 04-07-2008, 12:02 PM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level

The problem is WA has a high death toll and the large proportion of that is made up of young and inexperienced drivers. Some are driving powerful cars, some aren't. It's almost a moot point because most modern cars on the road will do > 150, Corollas, Excels etc. There is no easy answer and whatever legislation is introduced there'll be someone that's not happy about it. Basically if you made the legal driving age 25 as a minimum you would drastically reduce the death toll, that's not really workable. But I think giving a 17 year old the right to drive any car is asking for trouble. The stats speak for themselves. So the solution could be all or a combination of these:
- min age 19
- must pass advanced driving test
- cannot have passengers in car until off Ps
- Ps for 2 years+
- Cannot drive after 11pm (unless working etc)
- Zero tolerance in regards to speed/alcohol. E.g Any infringment of 20km/hr+ then you lose your license
- Compulsory Vehicle inspections every year for cars +5yrs of age
- restricted range of vehicles. Not sure how this would work, but you can't have a 17 yr old, driving round in a 20 year old Commodore that hasn't had a vehicle inspection since it was new.

That's not necessarily what I think they should do, but I do think if those laws were introduced the death toll would be greatly reduced. Obviously law-abiding young drivers are penalised, but if they really want to reduce road fatalities, thats the group that needs to be targeted.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:07 PM
STI Master

Mike at standard level

They can bring in whatever laws they want to bring in but the fact of the matter is the people that go out there and hurt themselves and/or others are being idiots and therefore have a complete disregard for the law at time they are being "hoons".
You can make the minimum age 25 but there will still be a similar death toll IMO for the same reasons 17/18 year olds get into trouble.
Advanced driving I agree with (some of my mates really can't drive).
No passengers until your off your Ps.......haha, please.
Zero tolerance on alcohol is good but on speed is way too harsh.
Compulsory inspections on cars over 5yrs old......thats nearly all P platers mate.
Doubt the car age restrictions would work either as most P platers are at uni/tafe/apprentiships and therefore really don't have a lot of money to buy a modern car.
Pretty much just think about when you were on your Ps and what you think is appropriate
Old 04-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Sir AntiLag

Jim621 at standard level

PerthZed.....do you work in Government??

I don’t think restrictions on vehicles or ages is going to solve anything.
You will always get a bad egg every so often and there is nothing you can do about it.
and why is it always 'young people' that are bad drivers.

Better Driver Training is the way to go.
How many drivers have lost control of their vehicle?
How many have even locked up their brakes…?
Everyone, not just young drivers need to find the limits of their cars and know how to correct an out of control situation.

It’s WAY too easy to get your licence - It’s a half hour multi-choice exam, a half hour on road test, then a stupid ‘25’ hour log book and an even more stupid computer ‘road test’. Then you get the right to drive a lethal weapon.

Also I think harsher penalties should be given to repeat offenders for traffic offences. Rather than just put up speeding fines and demerits, and hurting average Joe.

first offence - $50 and 1 demerit
second offence - $150 and 2 demerits
third offence - $500 and 4 demerits.
And the record gets wiped after a year after the offence. Or something along those lines…

Steve

Last edited by Jim621; 04-07-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

It's easy for everyone off their P's to come up with wacky rules. Just remember back to when you were a kid and what you got up to. Kids these days do the same.

No passengers - Take down the P's (now who didn't take theirs down to go through the bottle shop back in the day?)
No driving after a certain time - Take down the P's

Etc etc. For how often a young driver will be caught/fined for this it would be well worth the risk.

More driver training - Winning idea.
Driver education for P platers caught excessively speeding - Could help (there is no excuse for a untrained driver being caught doing 20+)
School education on maintenance and its benefits.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:38 PM
STI Master

AWDmoke at standard level

P-platers need power-to-weight limits

I would think that the current childhood obesity epidemic is nature's way of solving this problem
Old 04-07-2008, 03:22 PM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level

Quote:
It's easy for everyone off their P's to come up with wacky rules.
Thats why I put in my disclaimer "That's not necessarily what I think they should do." But in a hypothetical situation if some or all of those laws were implemented, the road toll would be a lot less. And if I were a P-plater I would hate it if those laws were implemented. I was just giving my 2cents about what I think would work. At the end of the day no law is going to prevent some drunken idiot, stealing a car, doing 200 and then getting friendly with a big tree. The Govt need to stop obssessing with road fatality stats, realise we're always going to have people dying on the roads and maybe put in a few sensible rules to limit how many.

Last edited by perthzed; 04-07-2008 at 03:28 PM.

Tags
cop, limits, powertoweight, pplaters, senior