Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Subaru Tech Division

werticusness is unrated

a mate of mine just bought a PRB clubman.... 550kg + 158kw(Toyota 4age stroker 1.9litre) atw = fast, in fact the veyron does not have as good a power to weight ratio and you can thrash the shit out of it all day and not use much fuel :P
Old 05-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

weight reduction reduces momentum effects and allows increases in changes of speed.

ie, better acceleration, breaking and directional changes.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Sir AntiLag

subarooboy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUES
10% more grip - listen to any race car driver in any category (F1, V8, WRC, ARC) and they'll always want more grip.
Couldn't agree more... can't believe the other choices, too many straight-line draggers here I reckon!!

Many years ago I remember 'uncle Ken' talking about his GTR in terms of being a 'good weight' for the large track... I never understood this muc at all until I started instructing and had the opportunity to jump into a heap of different cars.

Shedding weight doesn't necessarily guarantee more grip. I have raced a fair few sub-1000kg vehicles round Wanners and can honestly say that sometimes a little more weight 'over' the wheels can assist in the handling and predictability department a lot moreso than a lightweighter that will often tend to 'skate' everywhere and be quite skittish! Obviously there are limits, but in the case of this question grip is what is going to get you the times on the twisty bits.

Perhaps I could put it an even better way- A good set of R-comps or kick your co-driver out?? I know what I'd choose.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:12 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

trusti rex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarooboy
Couldn't agree more... can't believe the other choices, too many straight-line draggers here I reckon!!

Many years ago I remember 'uncle Ken' talking about his GTR in terms of being a 'good weight' for the large track... I never understood this muc at all until I started instructing and had the opportunity to jump into a heap of different cars.

Shedding weight doesn't necessarily guarantee more grip. I have raced a fair few sub-1000kg vehicles round Wanners and can honestly say that sometimes a little more weight 'over' the wheels can assist in the handling and predictability department a lot moreso than a lightweighter that will often tend to 'skate' everywhere and be quite skittish! Obviously there are limits, but in the case of this question grip is what is going to get you the times on the twisty bits.

Perhaps I could put it an even better way- A good set of R-comps or kick your co-driver out?? I know what I'd choose.
i dont understand what grip has to do with the weight of the car? grip would be much more influenced by the suspension of the the car being correctly set-up for the weight of the car. if the suspension is making the car skittish, then its too hard and needs to be backed off.

easy example. compare 2 identical cars with identical size tyres (225/17's), so identical available grip. only difference is that one weighs 1500kg, the other 1000kg. through a corner the first cars tyres have to hold 1500kg in line whereas the second cars tyres have to hold 1000kg. which one will let go first?? the heavier car, obviously. i think you'll find weight reduction is always number 1 both around corners and straight lines
Old 07-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Lighter car also has less gravitational force acting on the tyre, thus would have a lower dynamic co-efficient of friction making it break traction differently to a heavier car. It is all horses for courses.

Personally I would prefer more grip. An easy example of the benefits are do a run on some shitty street tyres, then do the same on some r-comps and watch the times drop.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Sir AntiLag

Jim621 at standard level

Kato - the coefficient of friction is a dimensionless number, so the weight of the car has no effect on the coefficient. its a number thats dependant on the road and the tyre.

coefficient of friction (u)= Friction / normal force (weight of car)

so for a constant coefficient of friction (same tyre on the same road) the 'normal force' for the 1500kg car is greater than the 1000kg car, so the larger car will have more friction between the tyres and the road.
BUT on the lighter car you are trying to change direction of less mass, so it doesnt need as much friction to change the direction
Old 08-09-2008, 09:29 AM