Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-01-2009, 01:44 PM
STI Master

wannabox at standard level

Just remember you have to suck your way to the top. The key to going up in the workplace is going down on your boss, sure fire way to success.

"Usually. Some guys can only dribble while others can shoot three pointers, so it might not make any difference how far they shoot. But in my case, it does."
Old 18-01-2009, 10:37 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

slg at standard level

Well back on topic, I am a tradesman and have made my way up from an auto technician (mechanic) to an offshore chief mechanic on a drill rig, whilst managing to stay on my feet, as my knees get sore too easy, in less than 6 years.

Tradesmen are always going to be needed as are engineers and draftsmen, to be able to provide the industry and resources required to feed our obsession with consumption.
Any person who thinks otherwise is a fool...

I have worked with many mature age apprentices and they have always been paid better than I ever did as an apprentice, If you are keen for a mature age apprenticeship, go for it, if you have the ability to go further with your scholars then go for it, either way, do something you want to do as you will be doing it for a long time and you might as well try to enjoy it.

I am lucky, as I actually enjoy my job and the challenges it gives me, don't go for something you will not enjoy and may regret!
My 2c worth...
Old 19-01-2009, 08:42 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

fmx_rider at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by werticusness
all money is worthless paper at the end of the day. Heck its not even paper anymore just made up numbers from thin air, monopoly money has more substance.
Ok...I'll take all your worthless money off you if you like....
Old 19-01-2009, 04:25 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

jOh4n at standard level

hey remnant, apologies for hi jacking your thread but here is my questain (might be revelant for u too)

is anyone online here a purchasing officer? what are the job prospects? (there is a diploma of purchasing in tafe (part time)
Old 19-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

waxdass at standard level
Send a message via MSN to waxdass

try Iluka recources, i know they are in need of purchasing officers
Old 19-01-2009, 04:42 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

jOh4n at standard level

no no i mean how to get started as one, say after tafe? i am in mining currently and yeah its pretty hard to get in (who u know basis) just wandering if its just as hard to find a job as a junior purchasing officer in the city

thinking of studying purchasing in tafe as a back up when mining goes belly up.
Old 20-01-2009, 08:17 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

PsYcHeD at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by doadrift
Family wagon? I take it you have kids? You see alot of us don't have kids that suck away all of our funds and force us to drive "family wagons".

But then again I'm not on $40k/y either but my fiance is on less and she OWNS her wrx outright.

Nah, no kids mate. Just bought it cos got sick of the WRX n wanted sumthin cheap on fuel (dedicated gas - $38/tank for 600km). AUIII Falcon wagon. Had ZERO mechanical problems in over 3yrs.
Old 20-01-2009, 11:13 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Remnant at standard level

Uhh, its really easy for me to have a wrx.... on my salary I pay all my own bills (car, phone, net, fuel, etc) and still have $300 a week to spend on w/e i want.
I don't drink / smoke / club / pub, etc. So I can manage to save allot of money. Don't assume people have the same bills that you do, I still live at home, and I know I couldn't afford to leave, thats why im thinking how im going to do it.
But im starting to think it might be best for me currently to keep the job I have untill the economy settles properly. I don't really want to get a nw job and end up getting fired in a couple of months from cuts being made and me not having history with the company.
Old 22-01-2009, 08:05 PM
STI Master

axle at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnant
Uhh, its really easy for me to have a wrx.... on my salary I pay all my own bills (car, phone, net, fuel, etc) and still have $300 a week to spend on w/e i want.
I don't drink / smoke / club / pub, etc. So I can manage to save allot of money. Don't assume people have the same bills that you do, I still live at home, and I know I couldn't afford to leave, thats why im thinking how im going to do it.
But im starting to think it might be best for me currently to keep the job I have untill the economy settles properly. I don't really want to get a nw job and end up getting fired in a couple of months from cuts being made and me not having history with the company.
Good idea mate. Just spend the time doing your research and talking to people in the area you are looking at. Its a fine line between qualifications and experience in a lot of areas and u need to get it right. Have plenty of clever mates with uni degrees who couldnt get a job out of uni because of a lack of hands on experience.

Once you have made up your mind and your real keen then look at night courses, part-time courses and also correspondance is really popular now. Also uni and tafe entry mid-year is a lot less competitve than end of year.

Im a high-school teacher and talk to students about their options all the time.

Good luck mate.

Rob

Last edited by axle; 22-01-2009 at 08:17 PM. Reason: typos

Tags
career, change